+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
EduGeek Joomla 1.5 Package Thread, Convince me! in Projects:; Hi, As well as everything else this summer, one of my jobs is to create a new school website. But ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Convince me!

Hi,

As well as everything else this summer, one of my jobs is to create a new school website. But to change all the hosting and what not its going to cost us 200.

So can someone convince me its worth it? Is it easy? What are the selling points?

Also, i doubt im gonna be able to sort out the swapping of the hosting until the end of august so if i build it on my own space, will it be easy enough to swap to the school site?

Plus...will you guys help me!!! lol

Thank Post
    200's a lot to sort out hosting!

But yeah, it's easy enough to move around and I'm sure everyone will help

Thank Post
    What are your hosting requirements? 200 sounds a lot!
    Can you not host internally?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 728 Posts
    Not a problem. Just create your new Joomla based site locally using a WAMP package and then transfer to your new host when it's ready.

And of course help is at hand

Thank Post
    But to change all the hosting and what not its going to cost us 200.
    I wouldn't pay that! Check out a company like CS New Media. Much cheaper and equally as good as any of these 'expensive' hosts.

What does the 200 get you?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    a one off 200 cost to the school for it to be set up in the webspace for them. This is to pay for the development of the Joomla service and administration costs incured to support it, it is not funded by BGfL subscription or other sources of central grant income hence the small charge involved in setting it up.
    From Alan-d's "inside source" on my BGFL post BGLF Peeps....SINA and websites

Am i allowed to use another host and would i just tell BGFL to forward people to our new site cus i'd wanna keep the bham.sch.uk?

Thank Post
    200 is the one off cost, so after 5 years you'll be making a saving!!

Contact Nominet, if they refuse.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    From Alan-d's "inside source" on my BGFL post BGLF Peeps....SINA and websites

Am i allowed to use another host and would i just tell BGFL to forward people to our new site cus i'd wanna keep the bham.sch.uk?
    Not being BGFL myself, I don't see why you can't use another host...its easy enough to forward your domain name to another. It all depends on weather BGFL will forward your domain name I guess

Thank Post
    Just setup your .sch.uk website to redirect to an external domain name.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    I pay less than the 200 for my Reseller Package with CS New Media

Thank Post
    From what I hear it's just a case of getting them to point to your new hosts.

May I recommend xilo.net, I've always used them and have never had any downtime and there fast, cheap uk based cpanel servers with Fatastico which will auto install your joomla site AND auto update it too whenever a new joomla patch comes out.

It's not just Joomla they can autoinstall, Gallery2/wordpress/wiki's etc list is to long to put here.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    Yes you can - just put in a change request signed by the HT. You can also use the web space already available to you with bgfl.

If you take into account the time it will take you to learn and install a package and the cost for someone to host it it could well amount to more than 200.

At the risk of being ostracized I would say the BGFL joomla package is right for your current situation. All you need do is swap a few images and add some content which is easily achievable by Sept, then you can tweak it over time to suit.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alan-d View Post
    If you take into account the time it will take you to learn and install a package and the cost for someone to host it it could well amount to more than 200.
    No it won't... EduJoomla can be installed with very little knowledge and hosting can be as little as 5 p/m

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mossj View Post
    No it won't... EduJoomla can be installed with very little knowledge and hosting can be as little as 5 p/m
    Can I politely but firmly point to the number of posts about hacked Joomla installs due to lack of experience and knowledge regarding patching, etc...

If done right it requires an investment more in time and effort due to studying, breaking, fixing, etc... rather than physical cost. I suspect time is something that is at a premium but you do need to remember that it's more than just installing and forgetting about it.

All of that said, the investment is apparently becoming more and more worth it in terms of saleable skills with Joomla knowledge apparently increasing in skills value on a variety of US based job sites. I forget the reference but a colleague of mine over the pond is making serious inroads on Joomla for this very reason.

10p + change...

15. Thanks to contink from:

alan-d (23rd July 2009)

Thank Post
    It's precisely this reason that there are simple checklists to follow in regards to security, when you install joomla you are given a mailing list subscribing to this gives you security/patch emails. If you have any doubts a google will reveal what you need to do.

Uploading/installing a patch is as simple as uploading it, nothing more.

Once again it takes very little knowledge to use a edujoomla site but you do have to follow (and find) some instructions.

Hacked sites are the result of people not looking, following, or taking advice from a number of places.

Joomla unfortunatly by design has security risks in that are being patched up, it makes no diffrence with these holes who installed it or what knowledge they had.
    Last edited by mossj; 23rd July 2009 at 01:07 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast