+ Post New Thread
EduGeek Joomla 1.5 Package Thread, Upgraded our site in Projects:; Hi Just a quick word of thanks for the continuing excellent work here. I've just updated our site from the ...
    Thank Post

Upgraded our site

Hi

Just a quick word of thanks for the continuing excellent work here. I've just updated our site from the old 1.0 package to the new 1.5.

PBEC

The school's colours are a nightmare ("gold" (i.e yellow) and black) and the school's logo is similar to Germany's in WW1, so there's not a lot to work with! I've tried to keep it simple and follow what the professionals who did our prospectus did.

A big thanks again to all involved in this

Phil

Thank Post
    Looking Good

3. Thanks to rush_tech from:

philjones2000 (29th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Looks good, but...

I would consider reordering the main menu links. Also putting prospectus (and possibly vacancies) under school information but this might resize your menu and not let it take up the space it has.

Although website pyschology says a user will read your site from top left to bottom right, they read menus from the nearest corner. So your menu would be... home, email, vacancies, departments, school information, prospectus

Which to me feels odd.

There appears to be text under this picture in IE7 (would screenshot but on Girlfriends pc) http://pbec.pool.cornwall.sch.uk/ind...rds&Itemid=144, if its happening to one chances are its happening elsewhere too!

*VERY IMPORTANT* you haven't changed the meta data in your sites back end (found under global configuration), Also consider turning on SEO or using a SEO extention

Sorry if this seems like a bashing but its what I see, and the feel of the site once you've made the changes will be fantastic!

P.S I would just keep home where it is and switch the others around i.e (left-right) email,vacancies,departments,school information,prospectus,home
    Last edited by mossj; 28th May 2009 at 08:59 PM.

5. Thanks to mossj from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 731 Posts
    Looking good Phil. Well Done

7. Thanks to SYSMAN_MK from:

Thank Post
    Really beautiful site.

9. Thanks to beeswax from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mossj View Post
    Looks good, but...

I would consider reordering the main menu links. Also putting prospectus (and possibly vacancies) under school information but this might resize your menu and not let it take up the space it has.

Although website pyschology says a user will read your site from top left to bottom right, they read menus from the nearest corner. So your menu would be... home, email, vacancies, departments, school information, prospectus

Which to me feels odd.

There appears to be text under this picture in IE7 (would screenshot but on Girlfriends pc) School Standards, if its happening to one chances are its happening elsewhere too!

*VERY IMPORTANT* you haven't changed the meta data in your sites back end (found under global configuration), Also consider turning on SEO or using a SEO extention

Sorry if this seems like a bashing but its what I see, and the feel of the site once you've made the changes will be fantastic!

P.S I would just keep home where it is and switch the others around i.e (left-right) email,vacancies,departments,school information,prospectus,home
    Wow, you have been busy....

I've fixed the meta data issue and the photo in ie7 (that was the only place it was happening!).

I can understand what you mean about the menu, I toiled with that one, but in the end I went with the layout I did because of the way it fitted with the previous site. I'll have too many confused admin staff trying to find their email else. I'm still worried as there's no google search box like on the last one! That's going to be enough to confuse some of them.

Turn on SEO or use a SEO extension? Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks everyone for their comments

Phil

Thank Post
    Find the seo ext i use here, it has some additional features over the standard one that should help your google rank.

Also use the URL rewriter found in global settings.

I wouldn't worry about the admin staff missing there google search, nor if you change the layout. You have to push them forward after all. There is proberly a google search ext you can use anyway, although i can't see where you could put a search box on the template (if your going to try fit that in, may as well look at breadcrumbing as well)...

its still a stunning site!

12. Thanks to mossj from:

philjones2000 (2nd June 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Looks good mate!! well done

We're just re-creating ours using EduJoomla

14. Thanks to EduTech from:

philjones2000 (2nd June 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread