+ Post New Thread
EduGeek Joomla 1.5 Package Thread, Little issues with new Joomla Package in Projects:; Hi guys, installed a short while ago since the new version was released. There are a couple of little things ...
    Thank Post

Little issues with new Joomla Package

Hi guys, installed a short while ago since the new version was released. There are a couple of little things i have noticed which i am not sure are to do with my particular site or the template in general.

On the main page you have the fake data supplied on a fresh install. There are like 2 news items, one being a greybox gallery with 3 images and the other normal news item. There are actually 3 news items but you can only see the third on the news page. I have tried to change the order of those displayed but have had no luck. I just wanted to see if i could shift the 3rd news item onto the front page.

Surely i should be able to reorder how they appear on the page from the admin area by moving them up or down the lists. I tried every single thing i could that mentioned them in the joomla admin area. It is so confusing though with things appearing in different sections in the admin area. Not how i would expect it to be grouped but then it's free and i'm thankful for that.

The other thing i noticed is that when i submit new news and type something in the box provided, nothing happens. Is this normal? Is some module or plugin not enabled? I visit the news page and only see the 3 standard news items showing.

One last thing, i replaced the Foundation Stage link from the curriculum drop down box at the top of the screen and replaced it with Business. Even on the demo site you will notice that the left hand menu does not appear when you visit this page. If you visit any of the other links the left hand menu will appear. This is true for the replacement page i created called Business. Any way of getting that menu back like the others? I searched for ages and ages trying to see if something was different on the other links for this to happen.

As you can see though it happens on the demo site also.

Any help would be appreciated as i am a bit stuck with exactly why these things are behaving this way.

2. Thanks to dalsoth from:

Jamo (24th February 2009)

Thank Post
    Oops clicked thanks by accident!! Enjoy the thanks

Anyhow on joomla are you looking at the news page or the front page? To post in the News section you have to select News as the section or catagory when you edit or add the article, they will usually go into a Misc catagory normally.

As for if it is the front page, you have to select the Shwo on front page radio button to get it to appear there. Some of the features of joomla arent instantly obvious but I used it for my test site Cursing Caroline and its proved to be so useful for quick updates etc.

4. Thanks to Jamo from:

dalsoth (24th February 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks, i actually have to admit rather embarassingly that i did not scroll down and see the section where you can add things to front page or news page etc.. Mine were going into a black hole somewhere uncategorised.

It is starting to make more sense now. Although i still don't know why on the demo site on Edugeek and on my own site, the Foundation Stage link in the curriculum shows up with no left hand navigation menu and the others do. Is this a little bug? If i create a new page in that list it also has no menu. It looks more professional if the menu is there which is why it bugs me

If anyone has noticed this or has an easy fix for something i am doing wrong please let me know.

Cheers for the help and i don't mind the thanks. If anyone else feels like thanking my post i won't be offended

Thank Post
    This will be to do with the menu settings, if you goto the menu editor and look at the menu in question, in the lower half of the settings it should show you which pages your menu should appear on. You can set it to entire site if you want all the pages to have the same menus.
    This is really useful for creating specific pages which have specific widgets down the side.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the quick reply, i have gone into the menu page for that particular item. I opened it up and can see no option there for making the side user menu appear as it does on the other pages. I may be blind because i just cant for the life of me see any differences between the other pages and this one.

I will attach some images to show you below. Perhaps i am being really dim here. It does sound like some global setting needs applying as new pages appear with no menu also but i can not locate the setting to do this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Little issues with new Joomla Package-businessmenu.jpg   Little issues with new Joomla Package-englishmenu.jpg   Little issues with new Joomla Package-pagewithmenu.jpg   Little issues with new Joomla Package-pagewithnomenu.jpg  

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 729 Posts
    One last thing, i replaced the Foundation Stage link from the curriculum drop down box at the top of the screen and replaced it with Business. Even on the demo site you will notice that the left hand menu does not appear when you visit this page. If you visit any of the other links the left hand menu will appear. This is true for the replacement page i created called Business. Any way of getting that menu back like the others? I searched for ages and ages trying to see if something was different on the other links for this to happen.
    From the backend goto Extensions > Module Manager > Curriculum Menu > Menu Assignment

Make sure the 2 foundation stage items are selected.

9. Thanks to SYSMAN_MK from:

Thank Post
    You are looking at the article layout there , its in the Menu editor, (for whatever menu is it you want to appear) at the lower part of the editor it will allow you to select which pages the menu appears for.

11. Thanks to Jamo from:

Thank Post
    Many thanks this has done the trick!! Getting there slowly....

Thank Post
    Ah and while i am at it and just to be a greater pain....

I changed some of the images on the greybox gallery to my own ones. Now when i click an image it loads without the greybox. Is there a specific way of replacing images using this? I worked out the slideshow thing with the text docs for the main website slide show and that works fine now but could not see why the greybox images just appear as normal pictures now from trying to change them.

I believe i replaced the images using ftp with the exact same names to test. I then realised that replacing the images was not enough as they still had stuff like "water Lillies" on their labels and stuff. I then went in and edited them on the website manually and changed the text for those and found they no longer worked as they should.

Any tips?
    Last edited by dalsoth; 24th February 2009 at 11:42 AM. Reason: looked confusing. Still does !

Thank Post
    I have to admit I havent used that Addon, ive been using the addons on the joomla extensions directory on the main site as it has loads of picture gallerys to use. I used Morfeo Show i think it was pretty easy to use and had its own upload feature.

If you have no luck I would suggest trying that one.

Thank Post
    Is there a way to increase the number of news items that appear on the front page, the most i can get is 2 but wouldlike to increase this

any help welcome

Thank Post
    In the admin panel of your Joomla site, select Menus>Main Menu (or whichever section contains your Home page) then select the Home menu item itself. On the right side of the page you'll see Parameters (Basic) and the top item should read #Leading, change the number in the box to something like 10. HTH.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread