+ Post New Thread
EduGeek Joomla 1.5 Package Thread, site template not appearing in Projects:; Downloaded Edugeek-Joomla1.5.9 package and it works fine on my personal Mac. I uploaded it to a unix server into the ...

Thank Post

site template not appearing

Downloaded Edugeek-Joomla1.5.9 package and it works fine on my personal Mac. I uploaded it to a unix server into the webspace for our school (both the files in htpdocs as well as the database). Changed the configuration.php file as noted in the Edugeek wiki. When you access the site you clearly see the content, but it just runs down the screen without the css template. I was even able to click a link (mathematics) and the contents of that page appeared, but still without the template.

I went to the axe_rescheek_blue folder in templates and tried to just display the logo in the images folder and that was fine. When I try to access the site via the administrator I come up with the Joomla 1.5 banner along with our school name. Only the icons for the tasks don't appear, though the links seem to work. I clicked on Article Manager - the menu items site menus content, etc don't work, but the ones such as unarchive, archive do (I tried parameters).

This is both Safari and Firefox on a Mac as well as IE and Firefox on Win-XP. The Apache 2.2.3 webserver is running PHP5.2.0 and MySQL 5.0.3 as reported by executing a phpinfo() command.

Can someone help? Thanks

Thank Post
    Could be a permissions issue on those folders.

3. Thanks to HodgeHi from:

jkmoch (17th February 2009)

Thank Post

permissions and file ownership seem ok

Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    Could be a permissions issue on those folders.
    Thank you - I just checked the permissions and ownership of the root folder as well as the template folders and the images folder within that and found that all are read-enabled for everyone. They are also owned by the same user. So, I don't think that's the problem, but I'm only guessing that when the joomla is looking for the site template that it's located somewhere in there.

Thank Post
    Some of the folders need to be writable.....I'll see if I can find the document I used
    now where did i put it

*edit* look here I posted in this thead
    Last edited by rush_tech; 17th February 2009 at 10:33 AM.

6. Thanks to rush_tech from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 731 Posts
    Have you got a link to the site?

8. Thanks to SYSMAN_MK from:

Thank Post

unfortunately...

Quote Originally Posted by rush_tech View Post
    Some of the folders need to be writable.....I'll see if I can find the document I used
    now where did i put it

*edit* look here I posted in this thead
    Thanks - I just went through your list, and discovered that they are all writable , so that's apparently not the problem. I spot-checked a few of those on my working version on my Mac and discovered they were the same, including the configuration.php file.

Thank Post
    Have you tried re uploading the files again via FTP?

11. Thanks to SYSMAN_MK from:

Thank Post
    You may find that there is a problem with the URL of the site. I had this problem with my moodle install a couple of weeks ago. I had changed my URL on the site but not the config file and so the CSS files weren't loading. Upon changing the site URL in the config.php every thing worked fine again

13. Thanks to HodgeHi from:

Thank Post

Got it - Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SYSMAN_MK View Post
    Have you got a link to the site?
    Thanks. When I change the live_site variable to not refer specifically to index.php and removed index.html from the root directory, it worked.

What I wanted to do was to use the file index.html as a kind of "barrier" to hide the site while we were working on it. Our apache server is set to look first for index.html and then index.php. Obviously Joomla doesn't like to see the direct reference to index.php.

I figured out that to hide the site, I put it into a folder (I called it site1.5). This way going to the site now displays a dummy page via index.html and going to /site1.5 displays the Joomla site. I should have realized this, but at least now I know.

Thanks for your help. I'm sure I'll need it soon as I am re-gearing up my knowledge of Joomla (now 1.5) to work on this site again.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    You may find that there is a problem with the URL of the site. I had this problem with my moodle install a couple of weeks ago. I had changed my URL on the site but not the config file and so the CSS files weren't loading. Upon changing the site URL in the config.php every thing worked fine again
    As you may have noticed in my response to Sysman_MK, the problem was in the url. I had the urls matching, but Joomla didn't like the specific reference to the index.php file, apparently.

Thanks for your time.

Thank Post
    If you want to hide the site disable it via backend admin. You will be able to view it while you are loged in, but other users will just get the site is unavailable message.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jkmoch View Post
    Thanks. When I change the live_site variable to not refer specifically to index.php and removed index.html from the root directory, it worked.

What I wanted to do was to use the file index.html as a kind of "barrier" to hide the site while we were working on it. Our apache server is set to look first for index.html and then index.php. Obviously Joomla doesn't like to see the direct reference to index.php.

I figured out that to hide the site, I put it into a folder (I called it site1.5). This way going to the site now displays a dummy page via index.html and going to /site1.5 displays the Joomla site. I should have realized this, but at least now I know.

Thanks for your help. I'm sure I'll need it soon as I am re-gearing up my knowledge of Joomla (now 1.5) to work on this site again.
    I think what he meant is he is devoleping it on a top of running the existing sites hosting (i'm doing the same)

Also just note SEO (properly) won't work untill its in the root (unless you play with the configeration)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread