+ Post New Thread
EduGeek Joomla 1.5 Package Thread, Joomla news feeds in Projects:; Hello everyone, hope you have had an enjoyable term I have just started to get into my Joomla site and ...

Thank Post

Joomla news feeds

Hello everyone, hope you have had an enjoyable term

I have just started to get into my Joomla site and have set up a restricted area for Staff to access. Now what i would like to do is to create a staff news feed similar to the one at the top left location on the front page.

The question is how does one go about first creating the feed for staff announcements and then adding the option to create an entry using the usermenu?

I have looked at the RD RSS and the news feed manager. i have created a category and also a news feed but i can't seem to find out where you add it to the staff area pages and i also can't add the feed to the usermenu since it isn't listed. It is probably very easy (like adding menus) it's just that i can't see how to do it.

I may start creating some video tutorials on how to do these things (in my own little way ) but first i need to work out how to do them myself.

Thanks for any help.
    Enjoy your half-term break.

Thank Post
    I don't know how things work at your place and good luck with the little challenge you've set yourself but I wonder how many staff are really going to use RSS to find out information

I think a latest news module will give your target audience a better service

regards

Simon

3. Thanks to SimpleSi from:

HodgeHi (21st February 2009)

Thank Post
    Hello,
    I find RSS quite useful. Although few (if any) staff members subscribe to feeds with a feed reader, I have still found uses for RSS. Here are some things that I do:
    - Daily Announcements are posted on a category blog on our high school and middle school sites. I created feeds for these daily announcements. I use these feeds on our main school district website to display the daily announcements. Also, many of our teachers use Wikispaces to maintain class Web sites. They use the feeds to display the announcements on their sites. We also do this with urgent announcements. If an announcement is posted on a school's site, the announcement will also appear on the main district site via RSS.
    -I also use RSS to display announcements on our district Moodle site.
    -Since I maintain the main school district site, I post position openings as needed. I have set up category blogs for administrative, certified, and classified openings to be posted. Each also has a feed, so that job seekers can subscribe and be notified when an announcement is posted. I am not sure how much it is used, but it's there for people to take advantage of.

I have stopped using RD RSS because it will not run on 1.5 native. It requires the Legacy plugin to be enabled. I also had issues with a 6 hour time lag between the time announcements were posted and the time they appeared via RSS on our other sites. I replaced it with the BCA RSS Syndicator. It is working nicely. Here is a link to the page where announcements are aggregated: Converse County School District #1 You can see how I have created modules on this page to display feeds from our schools.

Since I have dumped RD RSS, I don't remember exactly how to create feeds. I can tell you that I don't use Joomla's News Feeds component at all.

Specifically, to set this up, I think that you should create a section and category for staff announcements. Then create a feed that is limited to only this section/category. You could display the feed url in the category description so that staff could subscribe. If you are wishing to have staff post announcements, I don't know how to set it up so that the appropriate section/category are already selected. You may have to instruct the staff to use choose the correct section/category.

To create a link in the usermenu, under Menus>usermenu, create a new menu item. For item Type, choose article, then article submission layout. Name the link. Publish and save the item. A link for article submission should appear in the usermenu. Staff will still have to choose the correct section/category.

Sorry to be so long-winded. I hope that this helps,

Jeff

Thank Post
    what modules are those of the RSS?

what version of the edu geek joomla version are you using? I am using sysmanUKs and it looks definately different than yours so I was not sure.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by daboroe View Post
    what modules are those of the RSS?

what version of the edu geek joomla version are you using? I am using sysmanUKs and it looks definately different than yours so I was not sure.
    When creating a new module, choose feed. There is a place to enter the RSS feed URL that you want to display (I created feeds on the other district sites). Then, you can publish the module wherever you like.

As to the package, it is sysman's 1.5 package. I have changed it a bit (I think that I have hacked it to bits). I used mod_superfishmenu to create drop down menus (certainly not pretty, but a work in progress). I removed rd_rss and docman, replacing them with bca rss syndicator and remository. This allowed me to move out of Legacy Mode. I am not sure that I even know how to package this, let alone whether it would be acceptable or legal to do.

Cheers,

Jeff

Thank Post
    I was just wondering if I can use this RSS thingy to get articles from one site onto another one.

Basically, I've a school Euxton CE Primary School and another site install in a sub-folder Euxton CE Primary PTFA and I'd like to feed the PTFA events article into the main site automagically.

Can RSS do this for me?

Or any other suggestions gladly welcome.

Already tried iframe'ing it but it didn't look too good

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Used Feed Gator in previous joomla installs.

JoomlaCode > Projects > Feed Gator > Home

Russ

Thank Post

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    I was just wondering if I can use this RSS thingy to get articles from one site onto another one.

Basically, I've a school Euxton CE Primary School and another site install in a sub-folder Euxton CE Primary PTFA and I'd like to feed the PTFA events article into the main site automagically.

Can RSS do this for me?

Or any other suggestions gladly welcome.

Already tried iframe'ing it but it didn't look too good

regards

Simon
    Not sure whether or not you want the article to appear in the main content or whether using a module would suffice.

I use the bca syndicator component (link above) to create feeds. I like it because it allows me to choose specific sections or categories to include or exclude in feeds. And, I think that it works better than rd_rss when creating feeds for content other than the front page.

In conjunction with the bca syndicator, I use Joomla's feed module to display the content of feeds from my other sites. Here, I use this system to display content from the four schools in our district. Joomla's feed module parameters allow one to control how much text is displayed, so I am thinking that you could display an entire article from another site in a module.

I am sure that someone out there has thought of a better way of achieving this. I look forward to reading the replies.

Jeff
    Last edited by jeffy; 21st February 2009 at 12:13 AM.

Thank Post
    @russ and jeffy - thanks for suggestions.

I'd forgotton I can't install extensions at the moment (CLEO changed something and it stops me being able to install them) so I have to back up the sites - download them - install locally - add extension - test -re-upload and reinstall

And I'd have to double it because of wanting one site to feed another - so it'll take me some time to try it out.

@jeffy - which bit of that very busy page is being fed from another site - could you give me a link to the original site thats feeding it as well please?

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    @jeffy - which bit of that very busy page is being fed from another site - could you give me a link to the original site thats feeding it as well please?
    Simon,

It is indeed a very busy page. I was trying to aggregate the important information from each site on one page. It seems to be working. It is the most visited page on the site. The entire page draws from other sites: dhs.converse1schools.org, dms.converse1schools.org, and dis.converse1schools.org.

The mini calendars are from our District's calendar application. It supports multiple event calendars and will display a "minical" using iframe.

And, I had a look at your sites. They look very good. I just don't seem to have the knack for designing pleasant pages.

Jeff
    Last edited by jeffy; 22nd February 2009 at 03:36 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread