+ Post New Thread
EduGeek Joomla 1.5 Package Thread, Hosting Company for Joomla 1.5.x in Projects:; Hi, I have been playing around with the Edugeek Joomla 1.5.x package for the past couple of months. Our current ...

Thank Post

Hosting Company for Joomla 1.5.x

Hi,

I have been playing around with the Edugeek Joomla 1.5.x package for the past couple of months.

Our current website hosting company does not does offer any backup services and i think their Joomla knowledge is limited.

Whilst i can backup the website manually using FileZilla (to backup files) and the myPHP Web GUI (to backup the database) can anyone recommend a hosting company that can host and support Joomla based websites and backup your entire website on a daily basis for you??

In addition, the web site hosting company also needs to be able to support www.<schoolname>.<lea>.sch.uk (the free domain name every school has been issued) and supply email mail facilities using the same domain naming convention?

Ideally, i would like our own Exchange server but no funding at present, and the LEA only supply <number>@<lea>.gov.uk which is no good for staff as they would need <teacher's name>@<schoolname>.<lea>.sch.uk

Web based email facility would be sufficient, OWA based GUI would be great but I assume that would be at a greater cost.

Thanks
    Last edited by MYK-IT; 20th October 2008 at 06:07 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,500 Times in 1,346 Posts
    Fuzioned

Ben

Thank Post
    why don't you save your money on back services. All good hosting companies should be utilizing a back-up system. If they are not they are just plain out silly. You should utilize JoomlaPack. It is a great backup utility that an admin can run to do a backup. I use it on every Joomla site that I build for people and or businesses. they love it because Joomla pack comes with an easy installer for when you want to put your site back. It zips everything up in a .zip format. Currently my back up for my edu_geek website is 50 megs.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    hi there there is a better way joomlapack is a free backup modual that will backup and it is simple to use. Also if it all does go wrong it includes an installer so all you do is upload it unpack and install.

joomlapack JoomlaPack

I hope to be including this in the next version. There is also aautoupdate in developement where you goto an address ie "www.schoolnam.sch.uk/backup" and it will start a backup. I have not used this feature yet but will lookinto it for future.
    Last edited by alonebfg; 21st October 2008 at 10:13 AM.

Thank Post
    I use uk2.net for my business hosting and they've been always quick to respond to any queries. You'd have to contact them directly for details on what you want, but like I said, quick to respond to queries so you shouldn't have to wait long for a reply.

Thank Post
    Thanks daboroe! (& alonebfg)

I forgot all about the JoomlaPack.

Installed, configured and backed up in next to no time.

Just need to find a 'decent' hosting company, thanks to everyone who has suggested one so far .

Thank Post
    I do hosting.

VeloxServ home (sorry if im not meant to advertise this)

Info on backups...

Although action is taken to keep things backed up, i cannot guarentee (just like other hosts) that it will be reliable in the event of failure and is therefore the end-user's responsibility to keep backups.

PM me if you're interested...
    Last edited by Messa; 21st October 2008 at 03:58 PM.

Thank Post
    I just get a VPS package. Normally comes with some backup space, before this I had a Cobalt server which had a script that dumped the SQL + files to an external FTP server. I actually miss it. But the ever increasing prices (power \ colocation space) and the decreasing amount of users wants a non-cpanel, more manual web hosting decreased meant I had to look at VPSs.

I really do think Cpanel did kill good hosting. It made it too easy for any Tom, Dick or Harry to setup a webserver, at least a resellers package

Thank Post
    This is true but it makes it easy for people to get a web presence for blogs and businesses' etc.

There are still dedicated servers and VPS's for anyone that wants it done 'manually'

Thank Post
    Yer... but you can't own the hardware, I suppose you could stick it on a fast internet connection.

Problem is when you find out your provider is a 14 yr old boy who's using his mums paypal account!! Still it was funny when he sold his "company".

And people wonder why I bother doing a background check on companies before I send money.

Thank Post
    lol!, sounds like you been dealing with an old company i knew called getpro

However, rest assured i own my own Dell hardware =] any info you would like to know PM me and we can chat on msn or something.

Regards

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread