+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
EduGeek Joomla 1.5 Package Thread, changes for edugeek joomla in Projects:; ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Exclamation changes for edugeek joomla

As some of you may have seen i have removed the link to the package 1.5 I am getting more and more annoyed.
    History
    The package was originally designed and built by sysman and a very good package which i still use in some of my schools. I decided that as 1.5 came out and makes good use new web technologies that i would move the package over with the permission of sysman and he said it was ok.
    Updated
    I have change some of the modules updated the css and the templates most of which are free. I managed to get a couple of paid for packages in the mix as well but with the agreement that it would be used for none profit and schools and I agreed. Now here comes the crunch I have received an email telling me that i have to remove the paid for modules as people are downloading are package and charging for it. The most expensive is £500 which one of my schools got an email for this package and I got asked to look at it and found it was our own 1.5 without the edugeek tag but a nice cost tag.

I believe i have a few options.
    1. remove the package give joomla support only.
    2. people email me and i will give them a temp link when clarified being used for school or non profit.
    3. leave it as it is with basic and no modules.
    4. zip with password that will be give on request from member and checked applicable.

None of this I want to do but my hand has been forced. If anyone else has any ideas please post as i have just written a letter of apology to the people who make the modules and they have told me that they understand our problem but I dont know what to do next to protect not just ourselves but people and companies who have also helped.

I am sorry it has come to this but i dont know what else to do as I could face legal action if it continues and I dont do nothing.
    Last edited by ChrisH; 31st October 2008 at 06:25 PM.

Thank Post
    Sorry to hear that.

How about leaving the basic package so users can download it and get the general feel of it. If they want to use the full version then apply for it either by the issue of a username & password and restricted download limit. It's been a while but I think OSCommerce allows you to do this.

If not free then a small donation to the edugeek funds

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The problem the modules in this package canot be used for comercial gain and that is what some people are doing at the moment they even tried to charge me to install my own product.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alonebfg View Post
    I managed to get a couple of paid for packages in the mix as well but with the agreement that it would be used for none profit and schools and I agreed. Now here comes the crunch I have received an email telling me that i have to remove the paid for modules as people are downloading are package and charging for it. The most expensive is £500 which one of my schools got an email for this package and I got asked to look at it and found it was our own 1.5 without the edugeek tag but a nice cost tag.
    To be honest I don't think you have any choice...

I'd pull the packages that would normally have to be paid for and pass on the details, as you get them, for anyone reselling the original package to the original writers so they can deal with them directly.

That said, there's a lot to be said for someone who can co-ordinate the information on those packages which were/are used and provide information on how to apply for an education discount (if one exists). Beyond that document the process so that they're easier to install once someone has actually paid for them.

As a separate "project" it would be worth knowing which companies are offering the Joomla package as a paid for service so that they can be readily ID'd. Not a "name and shame" so much as a comparison system so people can see what they're getting. Then at least a certain amount of "education" can be done to ensure that proper attribution is provided

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Damn this is such a shame that some freeloading idiots spoil it for eveyone.

I guess the way forward comes down to what you and the module providers are willing to do. Are the providers willing to allow the continued use of the modules if some kind of vetting process is put in place to ensure only schools are using this? Are you prepared to take on the extra work of vetting the applicants? Although I should think that there would be willing volunteers to take this on.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 731 Posts
    You could only provide the package to those members who can supply a .gov / .sch.uk email address. But this still does not stop them then passing the package on, or using it for their own gains in the near future.

It would seem that the best option would be to only include free modules / components as per the 1.0 package. What features do the pay for modules provide? Maybe we can find some free alternatives?

Thank Post
    Yeh surely the best way in the short-term is to remove these modules. I think Edugeek need to make it more clear what Licence they release their joomla under. Presumably the source is covered by GNU 2.0 so it's mostly just a question of the licencing of the template.....

But there seems to be quite a lot of confusion about what you can and can't use it for.

Jona

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The modules paid for are jce as the plus part is installed so that media can be manlipulated jce without the plus bit is not really worth having. also the banner is paid for that can be replaced I just have to be really careful as there is a lot changing in the joomla camp with the gnu and how joomla is used. I am going to have a talk with site admins and other developers and see what the best way ahead is but i am still happy to help people and if they need a new version please email me with there school addy and i will send a temp link to them It might take some time but i hope to sort this issue. also looking at login emails that have downloaded and website they maintain so if you dont mind attaching the website you maintain i would be much appreciated. This will not start this until I have talked it over with the admins.
    Last edited by ChrisH; 18th October 2008 at 03:54 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Its a shame it has had to come to this, although with edugeek being so big nowa days it was only a matter of time before some people got hold of the package and uses it to make "allot" of money so it seems.

I hope that this can be sorted, as i was saying to to alonebfg last night would hate to have to see them leave the project as they have worked so hard on it and it wouldnt be where it is today with out them.. thats what i think anyway.

James.

Thank Post
    Having just created my first J1.5 site from scratch I have found the builtin WYSIWYG has improved when handling images, and I am sure it can now handle other files to. Will have to check though.

As for the banner Rockettheme make a good replacement.

Thank Post
    Well it seems that it should, but I can't make it work, and nor it seems can alot of other people.

Another option is to use The official JoomlaFCK editor rather than JCE

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I do like the look of The official JoomlaFCK editor it seems really good an people can pay into updates and fixes. also in the new version have already added rokslideshow and other stuff as have found it really good and for free. Also have had conformation today that joomla 1.6 will have a better acl and control function but times on this are not availible but i am on mailing list as i am on dev fourm.

Thank Post
    Okay so if I understand this correctly.

You have been informed to take the download link for the 1.5 offline correct? And this is due to some of the components, etc that you need to pay for?

What should the ones that have 1.5 from EduGeek do? I have it and starting to build it for a high school. But if they are going to get in trouble then I do not want to run it on their servers. Currently it is sitting on my localhost aka my hard drive on my laptop.

what should those who have th 1.5 edu_geek project of joomla do?

thanks

mike

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ok don't get confused I you have downloaded It you can update from the Joomla website and it is really easy. We are not looking to stop it altogether but there are some good alternatives and this is what i am looking into at the moment. The problem is due to the fact I cant control who downloads it the way it was and the package was being abused for monetary gain which is not the reason we done this so that people can make hundreds of pounds from it. I you are using it that is not a problem as you can update it yourself and it is very easy to do so.

I will write a how to today on updating the package but there are a few out there already.

This is not something I have taken lightly and not something i wanted to do but i have had to.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Lets make this very clear for people:

- If downloaded it and your a school or used for non-profit then no problem.
    - If download it and use to make money then that is a no no.

Russ

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast