+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
EduGeek Joomla 1.5 Package Thread, Problem with LDAP/Registration in Projects:; Originally Posted by DirtySnipe Why should I setup extra mail accounts.... Becasue if you want to use LDAP that is ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 728 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtySnipe View Post
    Why should I setup extra mail accounts....
    Becasue if you want to use LDAP that is what you will have to do. Joomla LDAP requires a unique email address.

Thank Post
    As i can see im not getting anywhere with you users who just use this software. I do not need you to tell me what my job is and what i should and should not do.
    Last edited by Diello; 9th June 2008 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Edited for content

Thank Post
    Im sorry but adding an extra 200 mailboxes to our exchange server which is already running on the high end of its max capacity is a real no go.

the extra 200 accounts will cost far too much and be a total nightmare to manage.

The amount of staff turnover is quite high so to keep having to setup forwards every five minuites is unreasonable.

If your an IT Tech you would understand this.
    OK Calm down!

You didn't actually say how many users were involved nor what your email system was. (No need for this language) (I merely pointed out that I was not a mind reader )
    Last edited by alan-d; 9th June 2008 at 02:58 PM. Reason: language!

Thank Post
    Well you've heard from multiple people that what you want to do isn't possible.

I expect you could hack the Joomla code to disable unique e-mail address checking but as noted above unique e-mails are required by Joomla so you will probably break a whole host of other things.

This leaves you with a limited number of options as outlined above.

Cheers
    Jona

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As i can see im not getting anywhere with you users who just use this software. As i can see im not getting anywhere with you users who just use this software. I do not need you to tell me what my job is and what i should and should not do.
    Your tone in your previous post is one of superiority ('If your an IT Tech you would understand this.'). This site is one used by IT technicians and managers. We know what we're talking about and have suggested a solution to the problem - to set up aliases for each user. Just because you haven't received the answer you want to hear, doesn't mean you are in the right etc...

Also, every person on this site is just a 'user' of Joomla. The EduGeek Joomla 1.5 package is one created by a user of the site making use of Joomla! and some hard work getting it to look nice. If you want detailed technical solutions on how to hack the internals of the software, you'd be better speaking over there, but you are most likely going to receive the same sort of responses - that the ldap module needs a unique email address.

Also, setting up mail aliases for users should not take a long time. Sure, doing the couple of hundred you say you'd have to do now is a pain, but in the future it would just be part of normal account creation procedures and take a couple of seconds extra per user.

And yes, you came to a site asking for advice. You were directly asking us what we think you should do. So your bright red rant is not only rude but also incorrect.
    Last edited by Diello; 9th June 2008 at 02:22 PM.

Thank Post
    DirtySnipe - Do not throw your toys out of the pram just because you're not getting the answer you want. Professionals are answering your request, kindly behave as one yourself.

This is a free peer support community - good manners cost nothing.

Thank Post
    What exactly needs the email to be unique to be used?

I used to use php nuke which also used unique email registration. It was just a requirement within the email registration page. None of the system actually required a unique email.

When contacting a user it just sent an email to that user. (email addy saved in mysql table).

This system as a guess is based on the same process.

I did hack the phpnuke code and removed the unique process without having any detrimental issues.

So back to my original question does anyone here know how to remove the unique email registration???

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 728 Posts
    I think you would get better answers to your question over at the Joomla Forums. There is a thread here regarding LDAP on J1.5

Thank Post
    I don't use Joomla in anger so I'm not sure if this applies but have found this: Joomla! Community Forum • View topic - Unique Email Required? Where is it??

I'd seriously recommend you rethink why your needing to do this and try to find another solution though.

Jona

10. Thanks to Jona from:

DirtySnipe (9th June 2008)

Thank Post
    Getting back to your original questions

Is there any way of allowing multiple users to share email addresses???
    Add email aliases to the shared account so that each user has a unique address (e.g. user 'jbloggs' who uses office@school.com has the email field of their account populated with jbloggs@school.com and jbloggs@school.com is an alias associated with office@school.com)

Remove the email address checking???
    You would need to hack the Joomla code which is messy and potentially creates an unstable build. You will also have to hack future upgrades and be careful when patching. The people over at the Joomla site should be able to help you but will probably warn you off as we have done.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jona View Post
    I don't use Joomla in anger so I'm not sure if this applies but have found this: Joomla! Community Forum • View topic - Unique Email Required? Where is it??

I'd seriously recommend you rethink why your needing to do this and try to find another solution though.

Jona
    You are a star..... Thank you for finding this.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12