+ Post New Thread
EduGeek Joomla 1.5 Package Thread, joomla sub-menus in Projects:; Good Evening, I am currently looking at Joomla again. I am having a meeting soon to discuss the potential of ...

Thank Post

joomla sub-menus

Good Evening,

I am currently looking at Joomla again. I am having a meeting soon to discuss the potential of being able to host our website using Joomla so i have been playing to see how it works.

There are two areas (for now) which i am not quite getting.

The first is how to hyperlink in the inline editor to other pages on your site eg, if i want a call us link to the contacts page in an article how would i do it?

The second is i am trying to set up a menu system similar to the one under the curriuclum pages on the right, except for pupils.

I have created the section Pupils and then created a cateogory called pupils area and then created an article called welcome to pupil area.

I then created a link to the pupil area on the main menu.
    aI have created the pupilmenu under the menu manager and enabled it in the module manager.

But this is where i get confused as it still doesn't seem to display on the page. What else do i need to do?

Thank Post
    But this is where i get confused as it still doesn't seem to display on the page. What else do i need to do?
    Welcome to my world
    This is one of those thing in joomla that doesn't seem to work the way you think it should

I added this to the wiki recently - please try to see if it works for you - if not I'll need to alter it!

http://www.edugeek.net/wiki/index.php/How_to_use_it

regards

Simon
    PS Beware of possible bug if using simple template - choose module position as right even if you want it on the left.
    Last edited by SimpleSi; 2nd June 2008 at 10:08 AM.

Thank Post
    Does it matter what kind of article type you choose for the page you want the menu to appear on.

For example i chose just a standard article page as i was not sure as to which it should be from the multitude of options just to create a page for content.

It is good. It just seems that sometimes to create a simple thing takes a fair amount of effort. I suppose that it all depends on whether you have it all set up ready.

Anyway i did what you suggested which was not the way i originally did it and it still did not show but i did end up with 2 PupilMenu's in my module list. :-)

Maybe we could do with some Video tuts on how to do the basics.

Thank Post
    Does it matter what kind of article type you choose for the page you want the menu to appear on.

For example i chose just a standard article page as i was not sure as to which it should be from the multitude of options just to create a page for content.
    Thats what I do.
    It is good. It just seems that sometimes to create a simple thing takes a fair amount of effort. I suppose that it all depends on whether you have it all set up ready.
    Its just one of those pieces of software that's easy to use in the hands of an expert but a nightmare to understand the way some of it is done (because its done in a -j90 degrees way )
    But the easy bits are very easy - the trick is to get the site so that users can edit it without resorting to the painful backend (Or give up and do it your self )

I have created the section Pupils and then created a category called pupils area and then created an article called welcome to pupil area.
    Sounds good so far
    I then created a link to the pupil area on the main menu.
    I have created the pupilmenu under the menu manager and enabled it in the module manager.
    I do this by
    Select Menus and then the menu you want to edit (mainmenu in your case).

Select New and then link it to say an article - select Articles - Article Layout.

Enter a title and click on select an article, select which article you'd like linked to this menu (in your case welcome to pupil area) and then Save.
    I then tried out my previuos instructions and realised I hadn't mentioned module positions except in my PS

So here are modified instructions from the wiki
    Select Extensions - Module Manager. Select New then click on Menu (or select it and click on Next).

Enter a title (yes - again!)

Decide where you want your module to appear (top, user1, left, right - you need find out what areas are available to you on your template - one method is to use http://www.yoursite.com/?tp=1 to show the areas available) (rememenr my PS - if using simple template - use right instead of left!)

Click on Menu Name and select the one you created earlier. Finally you can now select where the menu appears - to do this goto menu assignment and select "Select Menu Item(s) from the List".

Now click on which mainmenu item you'd like your new menu to linked to. (If you want your menu to appear on the any Parents menu pages, click on that one - click on as many as you like)

Click on Save and then check that your menu appears on the page(s) you wanted it to.
    regards

Simon
    Having a good play cause my Monday morning school is on Inset

Thank Post
    Thanks for the additional information. I will have a go as soon as i get a chance.

Unfortunately My school is not on an inset day (whatever one of those is. Never had em when i was at school)

Thank Post
    inset = Teacher training day
    Simon

Thank Post
    Oh. OK now i'm with ya. Had some of them.

We had one on the last day of term.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread