+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
EduGeek Joomla 1.5 Package Thread, Joomla 1.5 on EMBC in Projects:; All Trying to get a test Joomla installation going on my webspace. I have dropped the files on the website ...

Thank Post
    All

Trying to get a test Joomla installation going on my webspace.

I have dropped the files on the website and put them in a subdirectory of the httpdocs folder

Pointing at the new URL am getting an 'Internal Server Error' looking at the server log files doesn't yeild anything usefull. Anyone got a clue what this could be?

If this was linux I would just do a tail -f /var/log/apache2/default.log

Thank Post
    I have installed Joomla several times, can you post a screenshot of the error?

Thank Post
    Doesn't give much away I am afraid

Anyway here it is
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Joomla 1.5 on EMBC-joomlaerror.png  

Thank Post
    Ok, need a bit more info, is it a local server that's hosting the joomla DB? or do you have your hosting outsourced ?

Also one quick thing to check, go find the file htaccess.txt or .htaccess file open the file to edit, and look for this:

# RewriteBase /

You must remove the # so it looks like this below:

RewriteBase /

Reload the page and everything should be fine ! if not let me know
    Last edited by moobsuk; 24th March 2010 at 09:27 PM.

Thank Post
    So it's hosted on Synetrix's servers, some sort of windows hosted platform, probably IIS, though could be Apache or something else...

BTW, uploaded the same Joomla Package to my own server, which is Apache2 on Linux with MySQL. Worked fine.

Did the change you mentioned, getting same result.

Thank Post
    Morning,

Can you check that your webserver meets the follwing required reqs?

PHP 4.3.10
    MySQL 3.23.x or above
    Apache 1.3 or above
    Might also be worth your time to go get one of these, apache friends - xampp
    So you can test functionality on your local PC rather than having to upload files etc to your webserver.

Most of the time I use this method before I push one live.
    Last edited by moobsuk; 25th March 2010 at 10:06 AM.

Thank Post
    It's the standard EMBC web hosting package, so has PHP, MySQL though not sure if the web server is IIS or Apache. I have tested the Joomla code myself on my own web host (LAMP) and know that it works. I will probably use that as dev environment anyway. Though I want to host the pre-prod environment on the EMBC space to make it mirror production, then promote the changes to production once I am happy with them.

Thats if I can get it working on the EMBC hosting environment in the first place!

Thank Post
    If you have a local dev enviroment working you could try manually transfering it across...

It's a bit of hassle, but helps give an understnaidng of joomla workings...

1) copy the databases over (I use navicat for this, but phpmyadmin will work for small databases)

2) upload all the files, then open up configuration.php, and edit the values as you see fit.

It might still not work (or might work untill you hit another problem), but worth a try...

Thank Post
    Quick update for everyone

Managed to get it working! Placed a call with helpdesk and they did something and I started getting PHP error messages moaning about missing files instead of generic server ones. So I uploaded a fresh install of the joomla package to a new directory and it worked!

Happy now, just need to get it bashed into shape.

Thank Post
    I've got a similar problem to that above. I've uploaded the package and created the database. I then pointed my browser at the install.php file and I get an access denied message, which I assume is a permissions problem. It works OK on my WAMP development setup and I've setup up these sites before on APACHE. It appears that LGFL use IIS on which I'm poking and hoping using a PLESK control panel. I can see how to change permissions folder by folder, but not sure which user in the list to select or if there is a simpler way. Sorry for being so thick.

Thank Post
    Can you connect to it with a FTP client?

If so you should be able to simple rightclick the root and change permissions (to '777'), making sure to change it back to the relevent permissions afterwards (should be somewhere on the Joomla site).

Thank Post
    I can connect via FTP and just tried what you suggested, but no luck. I still get the Restricted access message. The FTP client looked like it was changing the permisions, but when I checked the files, they hadn't changed. I'm thinking of building it on my pc and uploading, but not sure if I will still run into the same problems. Maybe the helpdesk will contact me soon. Thanks for your help

Thank Post
    I didn't think the FTP protocol didn't have the abilty to change permissions as its just a File Transfer Protocol.

You will have to logon to the plesk control panel and change permissions with the file manager component on that. It's not the greatest interface and quite long winded to change permissions, but it does its job.

Thank Post
    When I get time, I will upload from development pc and see what happens. Not sure if the default permissions on the server will run it.

Thank Post
    Hi all,

Having spent a number of evenings fighting with the permissions logic crossover between Joomla (both 1.5.22 and 1.6.0) and the EMBC server setup (Joomla is a bit of a pig), I have finally come to a good setting that seems to be both secure as well as being a set that "works", allowing the installation of Joomla, plugs, modules and components.

It involves a number of interesting FTP settings, as well as the generic permissions for files and a couple of folders.

There are still a couple of anomalies but I'm pretty much there.

If anyone wants the 'BlueBook' that I am currently setting up for my installs, if it will help you, let me know via a PM and I'll get a copy to you.

Chris

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast