Localhost to Remote Host server

Printable View

How do I do that?

Quote:

• FTP all the files to the remote host
  • Can do that

Quote:

• Edit the configuration.php file (depending on your hosting provider you may find it easiest to install a new copy on the server, run through the setup and copy the configuration.php before blitzing the lot - you will then have a known good configuration.php file)
  • Never done that before so again how do I do it?

Quote:

• Check all the file/directory permissions are correct
  • Many thanks for this Ric_ I'm enjoying the learning even if at times it seems like a vertical wall.
  • 28th January 2008, 08:53 PM
    Ric_
    Extracting the SQL:
    If you have something like phpmyadmin simply stick the file (proabably something.sql) into the relevant box. You may even have remote MySQL access and can just use MySQL Administrator.

To edit the configuration.php file:
    Just open in your favourite text editor (I like vi but wordpad would do on Windows).
  • 28th January 2008, 09:23 PM
    leco
    Thanks again Ric_ I'll have a practice. I'll need to ask my remote host about MySQL admin access. I have phpMyAdmin, just starting to have a look around that. As I mentioned I'm not used to dealing with databases for web sites. Wish me luck:-)
  • 28th January 2008, 09:26 PM
    Edu-IT
    Quote:

Originally Posted by leco View Post
    Thanks again Ric_ I'll have a practice. I'll need to ask my remote host about MySQL admin access. I have phpMyAdmin, just starting to have a look around that. As I mentioned I'm not used to dealing with databases for web sites. Wish me luck:-)

Who is your host? Do they use cPanel?
  • 28th January 2008, 09:40 PM
    leco
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Who is your host? Do they use cPanel?

Host is YHGfL, sorry I've no idea if they use cPanel (whatever that is)
  • 28th January 2008, 09:49 PM
    Edu-IT
    Quote:

Originally Posted by leco View Post
    Host is YHGfL, sorry I've no idea if they use cPanel (whatever that is)

They wouldn't. I forgot that this is a school site and not a personal one.

Have you managed to import the database?