+ Post New Thread
EduGeek Joomla 1.0 Package Thread, modify new edugeek joomla template in Projects:; I'm stumped - how do you modify the top portion of the front page of the EduGook template? It appears ...

Thank Post

modify new edugeek joomla template

I'm stumped - how do you modify the top portion of the front page of the EduGook template? It appears to be named eg_simple in the template Manager. Specifically I'd like to put in the school name and also change the shield image. Editing the template appears to require dealing with html directly. I tried looking for the image in the Media area and couldn't find the image representing the school name. Is there a way to either change the school name and drop it on the blue background. It would appear that this text could easily be changed and not hae to deal with photoshop or something.

Is there a tutorial that takes one through an editing session for one section of a page? The userguide doesn't do it for me - I can't imagine giving that to someone in say the English Dept and ask them to maintain their portion of the site even if they were very interested.

I presume I'm overlooking some obvious things so if someone can point me to some resources, I would be most appreciated.

Thank Post
    Check out The EduGeek Joomla Package - EduGeek.net Wiki - there is a quick guide to changing the image.

3. Thanks to Ric_ from:

jkmoch (12th April 2008)

Thank Post

still need help on school name at the top of the page

I found the faq which does seem to offer some help, but when I tried to change the file which contains the school name, I only found the .psd files for the "eg_simple_blank_headers". I believe the header files I need are only available in the other folder as .png files which (not being a Photoshop geek) I find impossible to edit.

I did actually edit the eg_simple_master.psd (which showed us being green), saved it as header.png and tried putting it in several folders in the production site where I found header.png files then tried bringing up the pages and even changing colors, all to no avail.

I'd appreciate your help so that I can demo something to the school that wants to use your template can see a site with their school name on it, at least.

Thanks

Joe

Thank Post
    you could try right-clicking the image and going to Properties to see where the .png file is kept.

6. Thanks to beeswax from:

jkmoch (12th April 2008)

Thank Post

here is exactly what i want to do...

Thanks for your help, but doing that only gold me that it was stored in /images as blank.png which when I checked that out, it wasn't.

Anyway, to cut to the chase, what I'd like to do is to change the school name, eliminate the domain line, include the phone number and possibly include a logo. I've got the current Edugeek download zip files and they are working
    within Joomla, I just need to change them and then provide easy to follow
    instructions for them to make further changes.

Thanks for your help. Not being a bigtime webmaster, I really need some
    pretty specific directions.

Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails modify new edugeek joomla template-edugeek-templ-greentop.jpg  

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 731 Posts
    From looking at the image you have posted you are looking to edit the eg_green theme, rather than the eg_simple theme.

To achieve what you want open the blank header image for your chosen colour theme, eg Blank Headers\eg_default_blank_headers\header_green.png into an image editor that can handle layers, eg Photoshop. Then add your own logo / text and save as header.png.

Now browse to your live sites templates folder and look for eg_green/images and overwrite the current file.

Hope it helps

9. Thanks to SYSMAN_MK from:

jkmoch (12th April 2008)

Thank Post

Other questions

That helps a whole lot. Thanks

How can I change things so that it starts up with my green page; I looked at index.php and index2.php and couldn't find any reference to the word template. Also, it seems that when I go between pages sometimes it stays with my template, other times it reverts to the default orange template.

I was able to change the contact information page, so I know at least some things are working for me.

I still have other questions related to what I see on the front page and what the Front Page Manager tells me (which doesn't reflect the contents of the whole page). Also things like reordering menu items doesn't seem to be reflected when viewing the actual page.

I'm going to have to study the Official Joomla User Manual to figure out how the edugeek template is set up and be able to modify things.

Thanks again for your help so far.

Joe

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 731 Posts
    Hi Joe, glad you are finding the package useful. Joomla can take some time to learn but stick with it.

To set the default theme via the backend administration section go to Site>Template Manager>Site Templates and set eg_green as the default.

Also things like reordering menu items doesn't seem to be reflected when viewing the actual page.
    You also have to reorder the content as well as the menu.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread