+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
EduGeek AUP Informant Thread, AUP Informant 2 Support Thread in Projects:; Paul - not sure where you would like feedback but as I am here I will post here. Install went ...
    Thank Post

Arrow AUP Informant 2 Support Thread

Paul - not sure where you would like feedback but as I am here I will post here.

Install went great. Using all defaults (didnt change install path or anything).

On Server
    Was able to point server to my AUP web page.
    Set up my email notifications to email on decline
    set it to logoff the client on decline

On Client
    AUP came up as it should with the semi-transparent background.
    I hit decline and i was logged off.

Aftermath:
    On the Server Status tab I can see my client connected event but no declined event is recorded for when I declined on the client.

no email is sent to notify me of the decline.

I did this about 5 times and the same each time.

I then clicked on reports and had "There is not enough data to produce a chart".
    I clicked on "Open Report Viewer" and got an error message like "Unhandled Exception has occured in your application" blah blah blah "string was not recognised as a valid DateTime"

The legend of the chart still shows 0 accepted and 0 declined. even though i declined 5 times.

I can click "continue" on the error dialogue box and it takes me to the report viewer. I have no default reports listed and at the bottom of the screen it says "Searching for reports........" and stays like that.

Help PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

Thank Post
    So far so good here Paul, very impressed. Installed ok on server and client via GPO and am receiving email upon decline.

Cheers.

Thank Post

Arrow AUP Informant 2 Support Thread

Let's keep this as the official thread for bugs and suggestions please.

Thank Post
    Okay, so from the top:

Sounds like the policy information is getting to the client okay but the response doesn't make it back to the server. To me that sounds like a firewall issue on the server (policy data goes out okay but incoming requests are dropped) - can you check to make sure that the following ports are open:

Server:

• UDP 5024 Inbound

• TCP 5025 Outbound

• TCP 5026 Inbound

Client:

• UDP 5024 Outbound

• TCP 5025 Inbound

• TCP 5026 Outbound

For the server crash, what's your OS? Check in the application folder for a directory called reports, does it have some XML files inside?

If you could mail me the Application event logs from the client and the server that would be fantastic. You can apply filters to just show events from AUP Informant and AUP Informant Server if you like. paulbeesley3[at]googlemail.com if you do want to send them over.

Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    Paul - not sure where you would like feedback but as I am here I will post here.

Install went great. Using all defaults (didnt change install path or anything).

On Server
    Was able to point server to my AUP web page.
    Set up my email notifications to email on decline
    set it to logoff the client on decline

On Client
    AUP came up as it should with the semi-transparent background.
    I hit decline and i was logged off.

Aftermath:
    On the Server Status tab I can see my client connected event but no declined event is recorded for when I declined on the client.

no email is sent to notify me of the decline.

I did this about 5 times and the same each time.

I then clicked on reports and had "There is not enough data to produce a chart".
    I clicked on "Open Report Viewer" and got an error message like "Unhandled Exception has occured in your application" blah blah blah "string was not recognised as a valid DateTime"

The legend of the chart still shows 0 accepted and 0 declined. even though i declined 5 times.

I can click "continue" on the error dialogue box and it takes me to the report viewer. I have no default reports listed and at the bottom of the screen it says "Searching for reports........" and stays like that.

Help PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

Thank Post
    Paul

Ok - I got a little further. The error message about DateTime got me thinking about Regional Settings and I found that on my test machine not all my settings were set to UK English. I changed this now I am getting the status message "Policy Declined" when my client declines. So that good.

I still get the error message, the full breakdown of which I have just emailed you. I have also attached the Event Logs.

Thank Post
    OK, I've got a strange error on my Fat Clients:

When a Domain User logs in they receive this error:

There's no information in the system logs and it doesn't happen when I (Domain Admin) log in.

It seems to be related to the RestartTDS.exe (highlighted above), which is a 'phone home' startup app that is part of QCA's KS3 ICT Tests (remember them?). When I uninstall the QCA Testing application then the Domain Users receive the proper AUP Informant client.

Any other solution othen than uninstalling QCA/removing the startup item?

Thank Post
    Got some .net runtime errors on patched CC3 clients with the application not running:

Application error

EventID: 5000

EventType clr20r3, P1 aup informant 2.exe, P2 2.0.0.56, P3 4a953e94, P4 mscorlib, P5 2.0.0.0, P6 461eee3d, P7 e3, P8 10. P9 system.security.security, P10 NIL

Thank Post
    Thanks for the detective work, I will get to patching this right away. I'll add a "Known Issues" page to the website so others will know the workaround. I'll drop you a PM when I know more.

Paul

Ok - I got a little further. The error message about DateTime got me thinking about Regional Settings and I found that on my test machine not all my settings were set to UK English. I changed this now I am getting the status message "Policy Declined" when my client declines. So that good.

I still get the error message, the full breakdown of which I have just emailed you. I have also attached the Event Logs.

Thank Post
    Perhaps they use the same port. I remember deploying the app in my old school actually. Could I be a pain and ask you to start the machine with the QCA package installed (and without AUP Informant) and do a netstat -a on it? Odd how it works as domain admin but a port conflict is what first comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by mortstar View Post
    OK, I've got a strange error on my Fat Clients:

When a Domain User logs in they receive this error:

There's no information in the system logs and it doesn't happen when I (Domain Admin) log in.

It seems to be related to the RestartTDS.exe (highlighted above), which is a 'phone home' startup app that is part of QCA's KS3 ICT Tests (remember them?). When I uninstall the QCA Testing application then the Domain Users receive the proper AUP Informant client.

Any other solution othen than uninstalling QCA/removing the startup item?

Thank Post
    Ok - As I said I am now getting the "Policy Declined" status messages on ther AUP Server screen.
    I have set up email notifications but I have a question.

in the AUP Server Email Notifications screen it states "Senders Account" "Email Address" and then Password.

normally I would put in here the account name that I use to authenticate. in this case I have created one called aup. So the email address is aup@mydomain.com but the account is aup.

i have tried putting in aup@mydomain.com and just aup (both times with the account password).

I know the account works as I can log onto it using webmail. AUP doesnt seem to send anything to my recipient address.

I dont use Exchange, we have a hosted pop email system.

Thank Post

Error when domain user logs in

Getting a similar problem here to mortstar when domain user logs in. Ok when domain admin logs in.
    Don't have any of the software highlighted above installed but will look into this the remainder of the afternoon and report back.

Screenshots attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AUP Informant 2 Support Thread-aup1.jpg   AUP Informant 2 Support Thread-aup2.jpg  

Thank Post
    First of all make sure that the server address is entered without any http prefix. You're right in thinking that both the address and account name are fine for authentication. Does the server require any kind of authentication? TLS isn't yet supported, SSL is but you might need to adjust the port.

I'm away the rest of the day but I'll look into all the queries over the weekend and reply by PMs if needed.

Ok - As I said I am now getting the "Policy Declined" status messages on ther AUP Server screen.
    I have set up email notifications but I have a question.

in the AUP Server Email Notifications screen it states "Senders Account" "Email Address" and then Password.

normally I would put in here the account name that I use to authenticate. in this case I have created one called aup. So the email address is aup@mydomain.com but the account is aup.

i have tried putting in aup@mydomain.com and just aup (both times with the account password).

I know the account works as I can log onto it using webmail. AUP doesnt seem to send anything to my recipient address.

I dont use Exchange, we have a hosted pop email system.

Thank Post
    I have input the server address as smtp.mydomain.com

I use another account from the same email providor to send replies from my helpdesk and this works fine on port 25 with the same kind of settings.

Thank Post

Domain user error

Still looking into this one but the program works fine once a domain admin has logged in.
    Once a domain admin has logged in, received the AUP and logs off then it works fine for any domain user.

Thank Post
    Okay, some progress. Let me give you a quick update:

Crash on startup but works after admin logon

The client uses the Windows event log as its logging backend. The first time it runs, it has to register itself as an event source before it can write to the log. Looks like this is restricted on some systems. Of course, as soon as you give it admin permissions it's fine from then on. I'll see if I can change the behaviour of the application and a fix will be rolled out in 2.0.1.

Temporary workaround: Login as an administrator on the affected workstations. The policy does not need to be displayed for the workaround to be applied. You can log straight back off.

mortstar's problem with RestartTDS.exe

I had a look at the documentation for the QCA software and there's no port conflict as far as I can see. I suspect you're actually seeing the problem above as well.

Emails not sending over SMTP

I'm busy testing out several new mail configurations and performing a code review. Hopefully I will have something for you by Monday.

Policy responses not recorded when using non-UK date format

I will go over the date handling code and work through the relevant Microsoft docs to make it fully compliant with different culture settings. A fix will be in 2.0.1.

I plan to release 2.0.1 on or before September 5th. This information will be kept current on the Known Issues page on my site at: Known Issues
    Last edited by bizzel; 29th August 2009 at 02:56 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast