+ Post New Thread
EduGeek AUP Informant Thread, Network Share AUP Informant in Projects:; Hi all! First of all, can I just say I' new to this forum so if I tread on any ...
    Thank Post

Network Share AUP Informant

Hi all! First of all, can I just say I' new to this forum so if I tread on any toes, please kindly point me in the right direction.

AUP Informant is the closest thing to fitting our needs. We need to display 3 separate AUPs depending one whether they're students, staff, or governors.

Telling the difference between accounts is only possible via AD/LDAP because we use the full names. e.g. "Joe Bloggs" for students and "JBloggs" for staff. In light of this, I've set up 3 directories:

\\server\sysvol\domain.internal\StaffAUP
    \\server\sysvol\domain.internal\StudentAUP
    \\server\sysvol\domain.internal\GovAUP

All completely identical except for the policy. Annoyingly, I can only execute them locally and not over the network. I know .NET over smb has known issues, but I kind of assumed, considering the documentation, that this had been ironed out of the coding.

Solutions greatly appreciated. Otherwise I'll have to make 3 packages to go out on the pc, and execute it off the C drive. Not ideal, but needs a must seen as staff and students go on almost any workstation.

Reno.

Thank Post
    if it helps i use a simple script to copy the folder containing the aup to each machine.

Thank Post

fun fun fun

My prob is, I only know how to do shell script. Unfortunatly, these don't work on student accounts.

How did you do it?

Thank Post
    I'm thinking AD integration has to jump a few places up my priority list. For now, if you leave the staff and student aup settings blank and set the staff identifier to something that will never appear in the usernames, you could then run a script to copy the policy you want into the program's folder, overwriting the student aup file.

I haven't been able to find a way to run the app reliably off a network share. It's definitely possible but the problem is that because it's not a local application, the .NET framework gives it very limited rights (no access to environment variables, no file system access, etc). In theory, there's a way to get full trust and, in fact, the software does request this but it's never granted.

Thank Post

Almost done.

Network sharing seems like too much of a pig for me to bother with.

I've packaged up the applications and they're ready to ship out to the workstations. AD has also been altered with the relevent scripts.

I fixed the decline bug where it wouldn't appear if the logged on again, also fixed the other Decline bug were it wouldn't log if if ran as a login script.

Reno.

UPDATE: I've distributed the package accross the network and it appears to work like a charm. The main test will be tomorrow when the students arrive.
    Last edited by reno-shinigami; 8th May 2008 at 04:42 PM. Reason: UPDATING

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by reno-shinigami View Post
    also fixed the other Decline bug were it wouldn't log if if ran as a login script.
    Which bug is this (and in what version)?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread