+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
EduGeek AUP Informant Thread, Released: EduGeek AUP Informant in Projects:; Originally Posted by ashok Hi there, Great app, looks great. Does this get displayed at every logon? and how does ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ashok View Post
    Hi there,

Great app, looks great. Does this get displayed at every logon? and how does it know has logged on i.e. staff, student or are these settings customisable?

Thanks!

Ash.
    Hi Ashok,

It's only shown once to the student. As soon as they choose to accept or decline, their preference is saved. So long as that preference file is there, they won't see it again. You can remove the preference file with a quick windows search for "aup.ini" and it'll pop right back up again.

It determines staff / students with a username prefix. Our school uses "stf" to prefix its staff users but you can change this in the config file. If I find a better way of doing this, I'll update the code but it's a case of making it work for the majority of schools.

I hope that answers a few questions. Drop me a PM if you need advice on setting it up.

Thank Post
    Wow! Nice job - it's like a modern version of an app I wrote a very long time ago for RM Connect 2.3 on steroids Never did get the APIs figured out to lock it down in NT/2K/XP so it was only ever properly useful on 9x stations... No longer had access to an RM network to develop it and lost the source code in an IBM Deathstar HD crash years ago. Nice to see a decent replacement I can point people at - still seem to get emails about it so it must still be linked somewhere!

Hmm, actually found a thread about it here - http://www.edugeek.net/forums/showthread.php?t=96 - I'm famous!

Thank Post
    Hi Bizzel, having some problems running from a network share
    Ive not even tried it on a logon script yet, because I cant actually execute it at all when its on the network. Ive tried several different clients, several servers, and both mapped and UNC shares

Every time I click on it I get ' Acceptable Usage Policy Informant has encountered a problem and needs to close'

this is the error signature

AppName: aup.exe AppVer: 1.0.1.0 AppStamp:47d28f1b
    ModName: kernel32.dll ModVer: 5.1.2600.3119 ModStamp:46239bd5
    fDebug: 0 Offset: 00012a5b

It runs fine from whatever local drive I put it on, but no network drives at all

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    Hi Bizzel, having some problems running from a network share
    Ive not even tried it on a logon script yet, because I cant actually execute it at all when its on the network. Ive tried several different clients, several servers, and both mapped and UNC shares

Every time I click on it I get ' Acceptable Usage Policy Informant has encountered a problem and needs to close'

this is the error signature

AppName: aup.exe AppVer: 1.0.1.0 AppStamp:47d28f1b
    ModName: kernel32.dll ModVer: 5.1.2600.3119 ModStamp:46239bd5
    fDebug: 0 Offset: 00012a5b

It runs fine from whatever local drive I put it on, but no network drives at all
    As far as I'm aware, this is an issue with the .NET framework not trusting the app because it's on another machine, which is why it runs fine locally. I'll investigate what settings might need to be changed to allow full trust. Are you on CC3, by the way?
    Last edited by bizzel; 13th March 2008 at 04:27 PM.

Thank Post
    Yep, here we go. From Microsoft Support:

"By default, a .NET Framework application that runs from the Internet does not have the same level of trust as a .NET Framework application that runs from your local computer. An application that runs from your local computer can access resources such as the file system. However, an application that runs from the Internet or from a local intranet cannot access the file system on your local computer."
    You can see some possible solutions here and also here, though none look to be easy for multiple computers unless you can set this via a GPO or registry key somehow.

I'm glad it's not my code but it's still a real pain. If you still have no luck, you'll have to package it I'm afraid. Let me know how you get on.
    Last edited by bizzel; 13th March 2008 at 07:57 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanks for taking a look. Looks like a bit of a nightmare, might be easier to just package it...I was hoping not to, but I suppose it doesnt make much difference overall
    And no we're not CC3, vanilla here

Thank Post
    I may have found a way around this one. It'll take a couple of days to investigate.

Thank Post
    Hi

Has anyone packaged this for CC3 yet? if so would you like to share with me?

Thanks

Scot

Thank Post
    Bugger - running into the .NET Trust problem here

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotmk View Post
    Hi

Has anyone packaged this for CC3 yet? if so would you like to share with me?

Thanks

Scot
    Hi Scot,

I'd be happy to build you a package but I'd need some information about the network you'll run it on. The only reason I haven't created a ready-made package is because you need to customise the configuration file before you package and deploy. Let me know if I can help with that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Bugger - running into the .NET Trust problem here
    I understand that ClickOnce signing the application goes some way towards solving the problem. I don't want to rush anything out but I'll have a small update out this week that might solve it. What I'm doing at the moment is finding out what parts of the code trigger a security exception and either I'll work around them or try to find a neater way to escalate the application's privileges. One real PITA is the fact that a .NET app running in the Intranet zone can't access the local filesystem at all! I'll let you know as soon as I get anywhere.
    Last edited by bizzel; 25th March 2008 at 10:58 PM.

Thank Post
    -snip-
    Last edited by bizzel; 29th March 2008 at 04:36 PM.

Thank Post
    Here's 1.5.0, fresh from the compliler. It's definitely more stable than 1.3.1 on the whole and has a whole host of improvements. Grab it here.

Here's what's new:

• Added: The AUP can be automatically redisplayed when the policy is modified
    • Improved: Default theme is sleeker, better arranged and less messy
    • Improved: Larger area for AUP document
    • Improved: Config file is XML-based for ease of editing
    • Improved: Faster startup time
    • Improved: Errors are more readable
    • Improved: User level (staff / student) can be determined based on more than just a username prefix
    • Possibly Fixed: Crash when running from a remote share on the local network
    • Fixed: Incorrect loading of config file in some cases

13. Thanks to bizzel from:

SteveMC (29th March 2008)

Thank Post
    Great work! - Is the source going to be available from your site as with the previous version? (I'm interested in adding the option to check for group membership in Active Directory to differentiate between pupils and staff)

Stephen

Thank Post
    Looks good might have used it myself except we are running a Securus server and there is a AUP option.

Students have to accept or decline (decline logs them off) this is each time they logon.

Its also configurable so that you can have different or no AUP for differnt users groups i.e. staff, pupils, etc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveMC View Post
    Great work! - Is the source going to be available from your site as with the previous version? (I'm interested in adding the option to check for group membership in Active Directory to differentiate between pupils and staff)

Stephen
    Hi Steve,

Check the original post on page 1 for a link to the most current source. Was it you who suggested the code that checks if the policy was modified? If so, thanks, that's in this new version along with a setting to turn it on and off.

AD integration would be very nice. Do you know if accessing the directory as a limited user would be a problem?

Paul

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast