They're getting used to issuing refunds, so don't panic too much :)
I didn't realise the data transfer was via plain HTTP, not good. Unlikely much will happen, but then again it's also unlikely things go missing in the post as you say :D It happens.
Rather annoyed with it still on the "if it aint broke, why fix it" thing. JL3 was just fine really.
Another one of my schools had it set up and finalised today, and I set about getting it working on CC4. Added a couple of trusted sites, even found out how to set a very specific custom sites IE option set in the registry, packaged Silverlight etc, fine; and when it came to packaging the IE plugins - it threw a HUGE wobbly. So, yet again and so typically it's sitting on another standalone box until I get the time to fanny about with it some more. On the positive side, it'll run mostly fine without the browser helper object installed (and hardware support isn't needed on the client systems)
Yeah it's unlikely anything will go wrong but I'm not risking it! Especially as our Information Management Unit has issued us with guidelines about transmission of pupil data, unencrypted channels are very much a nono. It's a great bit of sensibility from the LEA.
Email was sent to MLS, see if they reply. I'll let you know on here what the result is as I'm sure you'll appreciate it being on HTTPS.
I'm right with you on the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" thing, it's rare I find educational software that just works and does exactly what it should, and JL3 was one of those rare finds. This new one is not.
I'm struggling installing JL3 as we've just moved to CC4. Used to be fine on a stand alone laptop, but tried just getting it working (for now) on one CC4 machine as a staff user, however getting Eclipse2 ActiveX error.
The school have been using it for a while, but I've just logged into the MLS user area and found we don't have a help-desk subscription so therefore can't get the MSI I need.
I assume the support is on an annual basis, anybody know rough cost of the helpdesk support?
Not off hand. JL3 on CC4 is fairly fruitless I'm afraid. One of my schools, during a CC4 upgrade wisely elected to keep the JL3 machine on CC3, which works rather well. I'm still experimenting with getting it running on CC4 but time is disallowing currently. If I do have some success I'll be sure to let you know, and it'll be appreciated if you could do the same should you beat me to it ;)
Finally got somewhere today.
Ended up making a "special" account, giving pretty much full administrative rights but hiding it (hiding access to the local hard drive, limiting access to internet options etc) as opposed to disabling everything. Even so, I've suggested this account is only used when supervised, and still I can't understand why it fails to work with the IDK in a limited account with all the below settings verified and access allowed to the path of the local print database.
Ensured port 6002 (local biometric server, data of which is stored locally as an sql database) was open
For some reason, even though "bypass proxy for all local addresses" was ticked, it had no effect until I had manually put "localhost" in the exception list.
Added *.juniorlibrarian.net to trusted sites
Then found that the identikit fingerprint database wasn't actually storing anything. Register my prints and the DB doesnt increase in size, nor would it recognise my prints afterwards. Stopping the biometric service, deleting the database file and restarting appeared to solve this, indicating a problem with the importing program they had provided. Plus of course it's now lost the entire database of 'prints, so all the children need to be re-registered again.
Interestingly I had spent just over an hour and a quarter on the phone to MLS going through as many options as possible. The chap logged into the schools site from there and even he was shocked at the speed, indicating yet further issues deeper into their system than first suspected.
Again, I can't express enough how good the MLS support has been - I've always been impressed, but this latest product has been causing so many headaches it doesn't seem right. But, we seem to be getting there. If I can get the plugins to package or just work on CC4 now I'll be very happy indeed :D (I will however be leaving that until we SR1 it next week)