Future Innovation Ideas - Help Needed!
I was hoping to pick your lovely brains about what innovations and projects you maybe planning at your schools.
Our NM has asked us for our opinions on what fresh technologies we could implement that would enrich the schools IT provisions.
I'm compiling some notes on backend/frontend, software/hardware, basically all kinds of things that will help pull the school into the 21st century.
Our network will be undergoing a major rehaul which will include that incredibly expensive Microsoft licence, entitling us to site licences for all their products, brand new servers, managed switches, managed wireless(hopefully) and of course, new computers.
Our budget is pretty big really and we have the potential to invest in things that perhaps other smaller schools wouldn't have the chance to.
I wish I had been able to spend some more time at BETT but unfortunately only had a few hours to wander round.
Some initial ideas of the top of my head (and ones brought up by our NM)
1. Terminal Services with remote apps - giving students the ability to use office at home, remotely.
2. A room dedicated for experimenting with thin clients.
3. Deploying Vista/7 either in our main ICT suites or specific rooms which would benefit.
4. Microsoft Surface
5. Allowing students access to open source software such as open office.
6. Implementing some kind of podcasting technology in our radio studio.
7. Asking the students directly what they would like to see in their IT facilities. (this may be an obvious one, but has never really been done)
We are trying as best we can to look to the future and become more proactive in our work. At the moment all we seem to do is fix existing problems when really we need to concentrate on the root causes of these problems.. (ie. outdated hardware, software, badly constructed PCs etc...)
If you have any software, hardware suggestions either for the end users or for improving our infrastructure, any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.