Outlook 2003 problems
Okai a few niggly Outlook bugs to solve :)
One - a user sends an email from outlook 2003 via the exchange 2003 server as normal but the other user doesnt recive it, it shows as sent, not eaten as spam etc, but the user can send fine from the same pc, and account in outlook web access? re-did outlook settings and works fine for a few days then stops at random, any thoughts?
Two - rules in Outlook, a user has made some rules that worked now they get an error relating to a lack of space to store the rules, there Exchange limit is huuge compaired to there usage so its not that, plenty of file storage room as well, tried new setup of outlook etc no joy, any thoughts on that one
Third and final one - New user made with email attributes in exchange via AD. Appears in Global Address List in OWA but not outlook, but if you email from OWA and then open the sent item in Outlook and double click the name it brings you up the normal properties stuff for a current internal email user and wokrs fine and you can email both ways, make a new email to the same person in Outlook it goes oh no you dont they dont exist try again.
So 3 strange problems, and interested in anyones thoughts please :)
I'll try with the first one. I've had similar problems with Outlook sending mail a couple of times. It has turned out to be problems with the anti-virus, though I'm struggling to rember what exactly.
The symptoms were, that the email was sent; it appeared in the sent items folder; but it never arrived. It was something to do with the out-going mail virus scanner (not the spam filter) I will try to remember exactly what I did to fix it, but it probably won't be this side of midnight!
The third problem is almost certainly due to the offline address book not being up-to-date.
Exchange rebuilds the address book you see in Outlook at intervals (I think it's every 24 hours) and if you have Outlook set to work in cached mode then it can be quite a while before a new email address appears. In Exchange system manager, go to recipients, offline address lists. For each address list, right click and rebuild. In Outlook you then need to force an update - Tools | Send/Receive | Download Address Book (I've got Outlook 2007 but I think it's the same in 2003)
If that doesn't work then close Outlook and look at the profile folder (c:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook) and delete the OAB files. Restart Outlook and you'll get new address books.
Does the email show up in Exchange system manger in the message tracking center? If not is most likely the client and anti-virus as elsiegee40 suggested.
Originally Posted by john
Can you disable outgoing email scanning on the local pc's anti-virus?
This was what I had to do on both occasions that I have had this problem. Scanning an outgoing email isn't really necessary if you are sure your machines are clean.
Okai, to update
Point one - Clients antivirus does bugger all to email its Sophos, we can't expect it to do things like that on the client, next it will be picking up viri :D (sorry having a bad Sophos moment again) AFAIK Sophos Client on the PCs doesnt touch Outlook so I don't think its that. I haven't looked it up in the tracking centre, never used it actually :o but worth looking at I guess :)
Point two - No change
Point three - User has appeared this morning in it, suspect as has been suggested that it was a slow to update Address Book as actually the users moaning do have cached exchange mode setup to make the most of the IMF in Exchange.