OpenOffice3 to have PDF edit, Email, Calendar, etc...
OMG the new version of OpenOffice slated for September release looks awesome!
My best bitz:
* Calendaring with meeting invites and free/busy publishing
* Task management
* Server connectivity to CalDAV servers, Google Calendar and Sun Calendar Server, as well as the obligatory iCal support. Alas, no mention of Zimbra.
* Specifically touted by OpenOffice developers as an ‘Outlook replacement’
Support for Everything:
* PDF files can be imported into Draw and edited with all their layout intact. Yum.
* The whole Openoffice suite can save ‘hybrid’ PDF documents that can be viewed as PDFs or edited as OpenDocument files.
* Edit wikis directly from OpenOffice without learning Yet Another Needless Wiki Markup Format.
* WordPress and Movabletype blogs can be edited too.
* Support for MS Office 2007 XML. Microsoft confusingly calls this ‘Office Open XML’. We call it Stop Naming Your Unstable Undocumented Shitty Format To Sounds Like Ours Thanks.
* Math fetishists can enjoy enhanced Latex support.
Openoffice 3 will have simple Firefox-like extensions. There’s a wide variety of existing OpenOffice extensions already available:
* Fax support (both send and receive)
* Google docs integration
* Remote control for presentations via your bluetooth remote
* Version control with Subversion
* Voice commentaries for presentations
Oh - and a natve Mac version.
MS Office is dead.
Extracted from here
"a standard file format that’s actually, you know, a standard."