Speeding up Eclipse.NET
We have just purchased Eclipse.NET (the new web-based version of the popular library system).
I haven't looked into this 'problem' yet but the librarans are complaining that it is too slow and unusable. I have tested it and indeed it does take a few (maybe 15) seconds to load the initial page and then probably the same again to load Searchstar but after that it seems relatively nippy.
So... my question is... how do I speed up the initial loading (bearing in mind that I will be using IE7 and the clients should not be going through the proxy in order to reach this server).?
Out of interest, what hardware are you running Eclipse .Net on?
I ask because it won't run well on the machine that the librarian currently uses (standalone Eclipse2 install) and a couple of other schools have said it needs double the spec of the "Recommended hardware" in the install guide.
We had it running on a brand newish server doing not much else and it still ran slowly. I'm pretty sure we were told it was a known issue and they were looking into it.
hmm, I'm currently worried that we'd spend $foo on a new dedicated box and find out that (although the kids would get AD-integrated searchstar) it actually runs slower than the current system from the Librarians point of view.
We are having this problem now, did you ever resolve this?
Originally Posted by Ric_
I think that in the end, the librarians realised that 15 seconds wasn't unreasonable. If you are experienceing the problem, I would recommend calling the support people because they will try to help you out.
Have you ensured that all the updates (Eclipse, Windows, but especially MS SQL) are done?
As I do know that the service packs for SQL actually fixes a few things and speeds up MS SQL.
At home, via wireless, I can VPN in and these are the response times:
To load Eclipse .Net - 6 seconds.
To load Search - 15 seconds.
I can't tell you how fast it currently is within the school, as I'm on A/L, but I believe it is faster.
This is what we're running the Eclipse .Net server on:
A Virtual 2003 R2 server (with SP2) running within Windows 2008. I have allocated 4gb of ram to it & 1 core.
Hope this helps.
Originally Posted by wagnerk
I have found that I did not have the proxy setup in server configuration, which was recommended by the installation guide.
Thanks for the tips on SQL I will look into which sp I have on this.
I installed eclipse.net on a server here over the last summer break, and it runs very well with no real problems. Everything is fairly quick on it, including search star. Installation went without a problem, and apart from a few problems with the task sechduler, it's been trouble free really.
The server isn't a bad spec, although it is an older server, and it runs other things as well.
hmm, Any come up with a solid way to get this working at a reasonable pace?
Using SQL 2005, on ESX blade.. if we use it from the server, it's flawless... as soon as you try using the client, it's just ridiculously slow.
Installed last summer as well - works rather well apart from trying to package the client components. Support are very helpful - we put it on a Server 2008 box, and it didnt play nice with IIS 7 to start wth.
I found that there's a lot of processing that goes on at the client end still. I set it up on Dell Optiplex 740s (AMD X2 2.2Ghz, 2GB Ram) and found it a lot faster than my work desktop (P4 3.0, 1.75GB Ram) so it's quite CPU intensive it seems.
Using something other than IE7 might help since other browsers seem a lot snappier at rendering but then you might get problems if the software relies on any MS components. Maybe give FF3 a spin and see how it goes?
Have there been any speed improvements since these posts? Also, are there any benefits to using Eclipse.net a opposed to just Eclipse 2? Any different functionality?
Was just about to post a thread about Junior Librarian.net, it's younger sibling, due to the unreasonably high demands it places and the shoddy performance as a result.
For instance the PC it's running on isn't too bad - a core2duo with a gig of ram, XP, on CC3.
The directly related resources, i.e. IE7 and the biometric scanner service for the non-functioning identikit fingerprint scanner total 370mb ram usage, which is frankly ridiculous. Not a fan of Silverlight.
Then there's the speed of the service. It's all hosted remotely which as a direct result, is *pants*. We're currently considering a straight refund from MLS and going back to Junior Librarian 3, which just works and has done so very well and very quickly. And will continue to do so without an internet connection too.
I still have none of these problems on my installation of Eclipse.Net, the speed is absolutely fine no matter what client I access it from. We have machines ranging from Pentium 4 2.4GHz up to Core2Duo based machines and they all load it very quickly.
The server its hosted on is an older Xenon based server, it has 4GB ram running server 2003, and it also hosts some of our printers, some student home areas as well as our intranet and ICT helpdesk with no real problems. The database is Microsoft SQL server express edition.
Personally I really like Eclipse.net and so does our Learning Resource centre manager who uses all day everyday.