I've been struggling for some time to get the software to work after installing the latest version on a new domain with new Win2K8R2 servers.
After getting a new licence with the correct netbios domain name I've got the software working if you log into the client on a machine on the domain. I can browse the files see other people's "Outpost box" and it behaves as it should.
When I try this from outside the organisation it fails and I can't figure out why.
It can't be the firewall on the server as it works internally, I've also tried turing off the servers firewalls by way of a test. The appropiate port mapping/rule is set up on the firewall to allow the software to connect and it does make an attempt getting to the "Establishing Session" stage but then fails saying "The connection to the Outpost Server has closed". The FAQ says that this is down to passowrd issues but as I can log in as the same user internally I don't think so.
If I change the inbound allow rule on the firewall which opens the communitcation port for Ranger (Either server IP or port) it faile during the initail stages of the connection attempt (As I would expect) which to me at least it is in part communicating with the server.
The only other thing I've noticed is that the FAQ implies that if you try connecting as user who is not a member of the Outpost User group that it will fail with a different error. When I try that it fails with the same error.
So I'm stuck and confused.
I'm also anoyed as having re-visited the local site it now doesn't seem to work locally yet it blatantly did as I was on it.