+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Crazy Talk Licensing Model in Technical; Nice software, but why-oh-why have they gone down the one serial number per installation route. It'll kill their sales in ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 994 Posts
    Blog Entries

Crazy Talk Licensing Model

Nice software, but why-oh-why have they gone down the one serial number per installation route. It'll kill their sales in the UK with the amount of computers we manage. No bulk licenses or site licenses are available.
    You install the software, enter the unique SN and effectively use it up. If you re-install it more than 5 times then it says that the number has been used to many times and you need a new one. I hate crap licensing like this! Thought up by sales droids with zero IT experience!!
    Anyway, I've just emailed them to vent my ire.our

Thank Post

Re: Crazy Talk Licensing Model

Grrr - one of my schools is trialling this

The worst people for this (IME) are Applepanic and their ReportBuilder (ReportAssist type program but works like a standard windows app) program.

They have a code for each computer, then each computer has to go online and register. Then the web site gives you another code which you have to enter into your computer before your finished.

I've told the company till I'm blue in the face that this is complete b*((*^&s but they are paranoid about schools stealing their software.

Serif's bad as well but since they give it away for free - you can't complain

To any software companies reading - make the 1-10 price reasonable to expensive - make the site licence appear to be value for money - guess which one we'll buy (make up different site licences for differing pupils numbers - I'll still be happy )

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 994 Posts
    Blog Entries

I suspect that many software houses lose just as many custmers as they gain when inplementing techniques such as this. The worst bit is that you then have to phone them to get new numbers once you have installed-unintalled-installed several times. Totally ill-though out rubbish.

Thank Post

End users dont often steal software. At least not on purpose.

Yes it happens in the home market but in Schools & Business, we don't find it a problem certainly.

Think the moral of the story is: don't treat your customers like thieves.

richard

I know this taking this thread slightly off topic but how about suppliers giving us an msi that can be deployed across a network with no mess or fuss as well?

Thank Post

This kind of licensing has basically stopped us using Swinger and the analysis software with PE. Can't package the software and every install a new key is generated. Impossible to manage really.

Thank Post

Crazy Talk Licensing

Hi
    My name is Bill Esdale and I am the educational reseller for Reallusion in the UK.

I understand the frustration schools feel about the licensing situation as well as the installation process and I would like to bring you up to date with both these areas.

Reallusion do not offer site licenses and I have raised the issue with them on many occassions. Even teachers and CLC staff have tried but to no avail. They do offer a great volume discount based on lab packs in multiples of 10. For example, a single license for Crazy Talk 5 Pro is £81 and a 10 license lab pack will cost you £59 per license.

Also, I have recently launched an 'extended payment' agreement that allows educational establishments to order the software they want and pay for it over a 3 year period with decreasing amounts each year. After the last payment the software becomes yours.

When you purchase a license for a package from Reallusion, you get a single serial number. When you install the software, the serial number registers with the Reallusion server that that serial number has been used. The licenses are concurrent, which means you can place the software on up to 5 PCs but only 1 can be used at any time, otherwise it will be a breach of the EULA. If you wish to move one of the copies to another PC, simply uninstall it while connected to the internet and this will decrement the serial number uses by 1, thus allowing you to install the software on another PC.

It has recently been announced that there is a server version for Crazy Talk that will allow you to build an MSI making it easier for installation across a network. Please contact me if you require further information.

Lastly, we can also provide you with a single serial number for the lab packs.

I hope this is of some help as Crazy Talk is a great tool for staff and teachers and it's popularity is increasing all the time. If you have any questions concerning the software or the licensing, please feel free to contact me.

I hope this has been of some help.
    Bill

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    This kind of licensing has basically stopped us using Swinger and the analysis software with PE. Can't package the software and every install a new key is generated. Impossible to manage really.
    Swinger/Pro Painter etc can be packaged 'cos I've done it successfully. So long as you have the server dongle thingy in it's OK.

HBJB

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wesdale View Post
    Hi
    My name is Bill Esdale and I am the educational reseller for Reallusion in the UK.

I understand the frustration schools feel about the licensing situation as well as the installation process and I would like to bring you up to date with both these areas.

Reallusion do not offer site licenses and I have raised the issue with them on many occassions. Even teachers and CLC staff have tried but to no avail. They do offer a great volume discount based on lab packs in multiples of 10. For example, a single license for Crazy Talk 5 Pro is £81 and a 10 license lab pack will cost you £59 per license.

Also, I have recently launched an 'extended payment' agreement that allows educational establishments to order the software they want and pay for it over a 3 year period with decreasing amounts each year. After the last payment the software becomes yours.

When you purchase a license for a package from Reallusion, you get a single serial number. When you install the software, the serial number registers with the Reallusion server that that serial number has been used. The licenses are concurrent, which means you can place the software on up to 5 PCs but only 1 can be used at any time, otherwise it will be a breach of the EULA. If you wish to move one of the copies to another PC, simply uninstall it while connected to the internet and this will decrement the serial number uses by 1, thus allowing you to install the software on another PC.

It has recently been announced that there is a server version for Crazy Talk that will allow you to build an MSI making it easier for installation across a network. Please contact me if you require further information.

Lastly, we can also provide you with a single serial number for the lab packs.

I hope this is of some help as Crazy Talk is a great tool for staff and teachers and it's popularity is increasing all the time. If you have any questions concerning the software or the licensing, please feel free to contact me.

I hope this has been of some help.
    Bill
    Thanks for that.

I've been looking into it for an upcoming project so I might hold off a bit and see how the server version works out.

I hear rumours that it needs admin rights to work. Is this correct?

HBJB

Thank Post

Crazy Talk installation

Don't know for sure but I will find out for you.

Thank Post
    HI
    we can now provide you with a single serial number for all your licenses.
    Give me a call and I will help organise this for you.

Bill Esdale
    Reallusion Educational Reseller
    0845 004 25 40

Thank Post
    @Bill

What changed in 9 hours?

regards

Simon

PS Does this apply to messenger version as well?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wesdale View Post

The trouble with this method of licence accounting is that often it needs to be put it on a new machine to replace a machine that has broken, hence you can't connect to the internet do an graceful unistall and deregister it.

Also all the the unistal reinstall and re-register put the total cost of ownership right up.
    Last edited by glensc; 21st May 2008 at 01:06 PM.

Thank Post
    I know, I know!
    Just came across this forum and thought I could help you guys out as a source of info but I do understand the frustrations that some of the schools are feeling and I would like to suggest that you guys tell me what your thoughts are as you can be sure that I will pass them on the Reallusion.

Thank Post

Re-registering

Quote Originally Posted by glensc View Post
    The trouble with this method os licence accounting is that often it needs to be put it on a new machine to replace a machine that has broken, hence you can't connect to the internet do an graceful unistall and deregister it.

Also all the the unistal reinstall and re-register put the total cost of ownership right up.
    HI
    I agree with the problems you mention, especially if you have installed the software onto 5 PCs. If that occurs, please contact support@reallusion.com with the serial number and ask that they reset the counter on the server. If you don't get any joy that way, you can send the info to me and I will chase it up for you.
    Hope that helps
    Bill

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast