+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Activating Smart Notebook 11 in Technical; Hi all. Ive been asked to give new teachers th activation details for Smart Notebook software so teachers can download ...
    Thank Post

Question Activating Smart Notebook 11

Hi all. Ive been asked to give new teachers th activation details for Smart Notebook software so teachers can download the program from the support site and install it on their home computers. Does anyone know if this is allowed or not.

I believe we are licensed to do so but I just want to check what other schools have done before I go assuming its okay to do?

Thanks

Thank Post
    We deploy the software via Altiris. And the activation is done through the script.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    I believe it is, as long as you own a Smart board (which I am sure your establishment does).

I can imagine they'll be a long queue of people wanting to download Smart Notebook 11. Apologies for the sarcasm, but it baffles me why companies like Smart and Promethean require you to activate products which are free and only work interactively with their products. What on earth is anyone else going to do with it?

Thank Post
    Because it works with other devices too, (Just mainly not promethean shock horror ) Played with it on a few random slates/iwbs before, just not as smooth as with their actual boards.

How many computers can I install SMART Notebook software on at my school?
    You can install SMART Notebook software on an unlimited number of computers that your school owns and operates [Section 2.2(a)]. It can also be installed on computers not controlled by the school as long as the user who controls the computer is associated with that school and the software isn’t being used on a competitor’s product.

Can I give my product key to all the students in my class so they can activate SMART Notebook software at home?
    Yes, all students in your school may download SMART Notebook software on their home computers and activate it using the school product key. They’re entitled to use SMART Notebook at home for as long as they’re students at your school [Section 2.2(a)].
    aka yes you can install it for home use, as long as it's for people linked to your school

Steve

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I believe it is, as long as you own a Smart board (which I am sure your establishment does).

I can imagine they'll be a long queue of people wanting to download Smart Notebook 11. Apologies for the sarcasm, but it baffles me why companies like Smart and Promethean require you to activate products which are free and only work interactively with their products. What on earth is anyone else going to do with it?

No kidding, it's not like these are stand alone software(Office, autoCAD) where there is a mass of people looking to use their proprietary content.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve21 View Post
    Because it works with other devices too, (Just mainly not promethean shock horror ) Played with it on a few random slates/iwbs before, just not as smooth as with their actual boards.
    It can't be that difficult to write in code to only work with official devices. It happens all the time and just think of the number of problems it would cut down when it comes to activating it...

Thank Post
    It can't be that difficult to write in code to only work with official devices. It happens all the time and just think of the number of problems it would cut down when it comes to activating it...
    Personally I don't get what the issue with activating it is personally. You can do it all commandline/installer based anyway Unless it's changed anyway.

But meh Each to their own! In an ideal world it'd just do some magicary (Yes a real word!) and automatically activate when it detects a board/device.

Steve

Thank Post
    smart 11 i believe stamps stuff on docs if connected to a non smart interactive board

Thank Post
    Steve, We have about 24,000 so the activation issues needs to be resolved before the deployment. We have contacted Smart Technologies, hopefully this will be an easy fix.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TimJing View Post
    Steve, We have about 24,000 so the activation issues needs to be resolved before the deployment. We have contacted Smart Technologies, hopefully this will be an easy fix.
    What issues? Not sure what the problem is...

You can activate it during install using the msi with commands.

Steve

Thank Post
    We had a letter from SMART not so long ago regarding confusion surrounding licensing.
    It cleared up the confusion and now we're distributing it with no worries. Yes, you are licensed for people to download for use at home. The license, however, doesn't cover connecting to a non-SMART board. If version 10 is already installed, it automatically picks up your license code, too.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,981 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WithoutMotive View Post
    We had a letter from SMART not so long ago regarding confusion surrounding licensing.
    It cleared up the confusion and now we're distributing it with no worries. Yes, you are licensed for people to download for use at home. The license, however, doesn't cover connecting to a non-SMART board. If version 10 is already installed, it automatically picks up your license code, too.
    This may not be relevant, but I thought I'd add it. You can buy additional licenses for use on non-Smart equipment, called a 'SMART Notebook collaborative license'. So, if you want to use it on, say, a Microsoft Surface table thing, or a promethean board etc, you can buy one of these. SMART, through Steljes are running an amnesty at the moment and you can get these licenses for £459 each, usually £559.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve21 View Post
    What issues? Not sure what the problem is...

You can activate it during install using the msi with commands.

Steve
    Our issue right now is not being able to verify if the product is activated post deployment. Sure we can use another command line to activate the product when it's already supposed to be activated. But that doesnt make any sense unless their dev tells us thats the only work around.

Thank Post

Please Help

Could you help me out with the command line for full install install with activacation? We are newbies to Altiris and are haveing some issues getting stuff to work...

Thanks

Thank Post
    We ended up getting it to work without using the additional command lines in the installation guide.

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\SMART Technologies\
    SMART Product Update\activationwizard.exe" --puid notebook_10a
    --uipack notebook_10 --m=[Value] --v=1 --a [Optional flags] --pk
    [Product key]

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast