+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Sonar X1 vs Windows 7 in Technical; I'm having a problem with Sonar X1 and Windows 7, I'm hoping that people here may have the answer! The ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Sonar X1 vs Windows 7

I'm having a problem with Sonar X1 and Windows 7, I'm hoping that people here may have the answer!

The software installs OK. I'm logged on as an administrator. I open the software and it copies settings/files over to the user's profile. A little annoying but can be lived with. It asks for a registration key. OK, fine, got that. I enter the key, the software fires up and everything is gravy.

Or not as the case may be. It seems that this registration key is not carried over to other users. I log on as a standard staff or student user and it does the whole copying thing again which is expected. However, it then asks for the registration key again! Swearing ensues, I log off and back on with my Admin user and Sonar starts OK. Log back on as my standard user and it asks for the registration key again. Cue more swearing and attempting to enter the key. Only this time, it asks for administrative credentials and then it won't accept it. The only way to get this *censored* software to accept the key is to make the user a local administrator and then run Sonar as an administrator. From thereon in, the software has to be run as an administrator otherwise the bloody thing doesn't work. Disabling UAC seems to have no effect.

Obviously, this is not acceptable. I can't have students being local admins of machines because they'd destroy them in no time. Can anyone make any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ian

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It looks like the solution to this one is actually very simple.

Users need to have write access to the "HKLM\Software\Cakewalk Music Software" registry key. Everything seems to work with this enabled! w00t!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread