+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Anyone deployed Sibelius 7.1 over a network? in Technical; We're updating our siblius 5 installs to V7.1 - and it looks like its going to be a pig of ...
    Thank Post

Anyone deployed Sibelius 7.1 over a network?

We're updating our siblius 5 installs to V7.1 - and it looks like its going to be a pig of a job. It looks like you have to manually uninstall V5 and then install V7.1 from scratch. Thats not too bad in itself but V7 comes on 4 DVDs and the install (with the content discs) is 35Gb or more!

It doesn't seem to have any option to create an 'admin' install, so has anyone managed to deploy this software across a network? I don't fancy visiting 40 odd PCs and Macs with a stack of CDs and waiting 3 hours for each install!

Thank Post
    Can you re-image the computers with the software installed?

Thank Post
    Not really - a lot of XP machines with different hardware so we'd have to create multiple images! Not worth it for one bit of software. Maybe I'll just tell them its not compatible!

Thank Post
    Fire up regedit, goto HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WIndows\CurrentVersion\Uni nstall and then search for sibelius. There will be an entry for it.

Once you've found it you can look up the uninstall string with any luck this can easily be adapted to give a silent uninstall that can be used in a script.

It would also seem that Avid do have silent install instructions for Sibelius 7.

How to install Sibelius silently on Windows

Thank Post
    Its not so much a silent install I'm after - its an admin one that installs with all the extra sounds that come one 3 dvds!

You can install the sounds on a server and use a registry hack to point to that, but I was looking for a simple way to install everything locally.

The Uninstall might work to get rid of V5 before we manually install V7 - saves a job!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,729 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You can install the sounds on a server and use a registry hack to point to that, but I was looking for a simple way to install everything locally.
    I wouldnt do the server way it will put some strain on the network. you could use a robocopy script to copy them locally then the reg hack to point to the local folder. For robocopy use something like

Code:
    Robocopy "\\sourceserver\share" "C:\desinationfolder" /mir
    It will automatically create needed folders in the destination.

For the uninstall of the old one you could get the Windows installer ID and use a script like this to remove it. The below is a sample we use to remove securus client.

Code:
    msiexec.exe /x {11B677BC-75DC-42AB-8FF1-034E93FD0C56} /qn
    Last edited by FN-GM; 9th July 2012 at 04:24 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not done it, but linked from that article @K.C.Leblanc linked to is this: Installing and using Sibelius Sounds across a network

The regkey itself could then be easily installed manually, GPP or script deployed.

Edit: neve mind, read you already did this. It does say within that document that it will only pull the sounds needed within the score though?
    Last edited by Cache; 9th July 2012 at 08:30 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    has anyone managed to deploy this software across a network?
    Yes (for v7 but should work with 7.1?):
    Sibelius702b8.exe /SERIAL=SCEWxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx /LSINFO=LicenseServerIP:Port /SILENT
    (can also optionally add /NOCANCEL /NORESTART if required)
    Then I change a registry key to point to a network location for the sounds:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Avid\Sibelius Sounds\Sibelius 7 Sounds\ContentPath]
    @="P:\\Music\\Sibelius 7 Sounds"

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,458 Times in 1,002 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    Not really - a lot of XP machines with different hardware so we'd have to create multiple images! Not worth it for one bit of software. Maybe I'll just tell them its not compatible!
    I think it might be anyway - I seem to recall that 7 requires Vista and up... or at least the discs they sent us do

Thank Post
    I think 7.1.2 now supports XP - after public demand!

Thank Post
    It looks like this might not be a problem anyway - Sibelius 7.1.2 doesn't recognise the sound card in our new PCs. I've tried their patch of copying over the portaudio_x64.dll but it still doesn't work.

Getting really tired of software not working on bog standard PCs/Macs nowadays. Do these guys ever test anything anymore! This is a Windows 7 PC with a realtek sound card in it - you can't get more standard than that!

Thank Post
    When I install Sibelius 7.1 from the command line I get the message that Sibelius.exe is in use, and have to click Ignore to continue the install. When I run the install with the /silent switch I still get the message, however, when I use the RM console to deploy the package the message doesn't appear, but the install hangs at the point it should, if you see what I mean.
    I've tried copying the exe to the local hard drive and running it from there, so that each install is from it's own version of the file, but the message still appears.

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Someone kick me - I had renamed the install exe to Sibelius.exe, thinking that if an update came out it would be easier to update the RM package if the installer had a generic name. However, when running the installer the first thing it checks is whether sibelius is running, by looking for sibelius.exe! Renamed the file and it installed

Now to look at permissions - it seems to need to run as an administrator before it will run as a user - or is that another stupid error on my part?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by clareq View Post
    Someone kick me - I had renamed the install exe to Sibelius.exe, thinking that if an update came out it would be easier to update the RM package if the installer had a generic name. However, when running the installer the first thing it checks is whether sibelius is running, by looking for sibelius.exe! Renamed the file and it installed

Now to look at permissions - it seems to need to run as an administrator before it will run as a user - or is that another stupid error on my part?
    Have you managed to package it for use on an RM network? Were you able to import the Sibelius7Installer.msi straight into the RMMC? I've been trying today, not had much luck though.

Thank Post
    I now have it packaged for RM - just doing my final testing. I've created a CC3 style package containing the Sibelius installer exe, my ini file reads:
    Code:
    [Package]
    exefile=sibeliusInstaller.exe
    addcommand=/LSINFO=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    Description=Sibelius 7
    I've added a permissions entry to allow write access to C:\ProgramData\Avid - at fist run licence information is written to that location. That's the part I'm testing now.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast