+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, gamemaker 8 problems in Technical; hello anyone know how to get game maker 8 working with Windows7?? Every time a student loads it they get ...
    Thank Post

gamemaker 8 problems

hello

anyone know how to get game maker 8 working with Windows7?? Every time a student loads it they get the following

error#5 you tried to run this software twice or you dont have full permissions

they have full control of the folder in program files and they are using mandatory profiles.

Thank Post
    Does it still try and install itself into the local users profile as well?

Thank Post
    no idea just errors out when trying to run it, it install fine just cant run the thing as a student or teacher admin is fine

Thank Post
    Im sure theres a fix on the Games Maker forum on their website. It's certainly permission based and after giving access rights to a specific location, I managed to get it working. It seems to be an error that quite a few people have faced.

Thank Post
    Can you Remeber that location. I have tried that bat file that changes the tmp location when you run game maker but that's it apart from full controll on the folder in program files

Thank Post
    we have gamemaker installed on windows 7 and went on without any issues. if there anything you want me to check let me know

tom

Thank Post
    how did you roll it out? what msi version did you use and what permission need to be applied to the users to allow them to run it, if you dont mind please

Thank Post
    we have installed game maker 8 lite (free) using the .exe into a reference image then deployed this to 60 machines. students don't have any admin rights and it works fine. we downloaded our version in january but i have noticed there is a newer version on website 8.1

Thank Post
    We also have Game Maker 7 & 8 installed on Windows 7 machines. We run the light version the same as TomC and have it on 90 machines and all works fine. Again students have no admin rights but had no issues.

I have another question does anyone know if it is possible to get Game Maker running in a Citrix VDI environment. I have read up that it needs a dedicated graphics card to run and therefore will only run on fat client machines. It would be great to get it working in a VDI environment if possible?

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    Does it still try and install itself into the local users profile as well?
    I'm also having problems with 8.1 it does seem to want to install in the users area/profile.

We have redirected Application Data folders here so I guess that could be causing issues, all users have full permissions to thier own area so not sure whats going on.

We are using GameMaker 7 Lite at the moment and everytime it opens is comes up with a message 'Failed to set data for" ', even I get this error message with my admin login.

Thank Post
    I spent a while configuring this over half term, and I got over the 'install in local profile' problem by doing the following:

1) Logged on as admin user and ran install, redirected it to C:\program files\Gamemaker (it still copies loads to Users\Application Data though)
    2) I copied everything from the AppData folder to the Program Files folder, then copied this folder to all clients and gave students modify permission
    3) On each client I ran the installer and just let it install in the default location
    4) Gave students a shortcut to the Gamemaker exe on C:\Program Files and it all runs well. Step 3 was required though, not sure if it perhaps registers some system files?
    5) This is only necessary if students can't access the C:\ drive - I added the Gamemaker reg entry into the HKEY_Users hive of the mandatory profile and edited all the Sprites, backgrounds, examples folders to point to a location on the network.

Not sure if this method will work on W7 mind, I was doing it on XP, but I don't see any reason why not.

And guess what, after doing all this, I found that the ICT suite machines won't run any completed games since the built in graphics isn't up to it (works fine on other PCs) so it was all a waste of time! lol

Thank Post
    It doesn't work on Windows 7 unfortunately (following steps 1 to 4). We don't have XP here, so I've not tried with that.

The students here cannot see the C drive, but they can run files from it.

Any further ideas on trying to get it to work?

Thank Post
    Just thought I'd add a little to this. I've done a little investigating and I have come to the conclusion that GM 8.1 Lite has been deliberately messed about with to make it almost impossible to network install on Windows 7. It sticks files all over the place, in weird profile areas etc. I have yet to heard of anyone getting this working on Windows 7

Yoyo Games produce an MSI for licensed versions that neatly drops all these files into the program files directory, not scattering all over the place. A few small permissions tweaks (listed in their tech blogs) and it seems to work.

Conclusion - if you want it, you're going to have to use the paid version.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread