+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Collins Science problem, running out of ideas! in Technical; I've got a bit of trouble with Collins GCSE Additional Science on Windows 7. It looks like some kind of ...

Thank Post

Collins Science problem, running out of ideas!

I've got a bit of trouble with Collins GCSE Additional Science on Windows 7. It looks like some kind of standalone flash/shockwave based program. I've installed it on a few machines sucessfully but when it comes to running, one of the machines doesn't do a lot. After the double click theres a couple of seconds of the busy indicator on the mouse pointer and then nothing. There are no events in the event viewer (to be honest I wasn't expecting anything here anyway) and I've had a quick look to see whats happening using Process Monitor. There is a fair old amount of stuff going on in that few seconds but although ProcMon helped in the past, I knew what I was looking for. This time its just a rather large chunk of meaningless data.

I've reinstalled Flash and Shockwave, tried from DVD and network drive just in case the drive was at fault, run as administrator and a few other bits. I'm not sure where to go from here. I feel like a private investigator that has exhausted all leads on a case really.

Does anyone have any pointers either their own experience with a similar problem or a list of things they check when troubleshooting programs?

Thank Post
    I've previously just installed it on our Application Shared Drive and created a shortcut to the Main Application executable.

Thank Post
    DAMNIT! I knew I should've opened a ticket for this problem yesterday!!

I had exactly the same thing. What I did was download a copy of procmon, fire it up, filter it to the collins application and one of the last things it did was throw a stack buffer overflow.

I cannot remember what I did to rectify that problem though I know that procmon pointed me in the correct direction though... I'll have a rummage around the network around and see if I can recall what I actually did to fix it.

EDIT: It was a quirk in the Intel graphics driver this particular laptop used (Latitude E5400). Update to the latest Intel provided driver and it was all good.
    Last edited by DrPerceptron; 22nd May 2012 at 12:58 PM.

4. Thanks to DrPerceptron from:

themightymrp (6th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Many thanks for your prompt replies chaps.

Linkazoid, it needed to be on a standalone laptop so no go there unfortunately, that had the same running trouble too.

DrPerception, funnily enough I worked exactly that out with ProcMon by comparing a working install's log file alongside the non working one using Beyond Compare a few minutes before you posted. The working one had a lot more graphics related gubbins going on just after the non worker log had ended. So yes I can confirm that updating to the latest Intel graphic driver fixes this problem. The laptop I had an issue with was a HP Probook 4520s with Intel HD graphics.

6. Thanks to samba_man from:

themightymrp (6th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Just been having this same issue! Thank you Edugeekers

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread