+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Can you run SMARTBoardTools.exe with Floating Tools hidden by default? in Technical; Hi all! First post here, so please be gentle! I've got a school with a dozen or so Smartboards and ...

Thank Post

Can you run SMARTBoardTools.exe with Floating Tools hidden by default?

Hi all! First post here, so please be gentle!

I've got a school with a dozen or so Smartboards and we've deployed out SB10.8 to them all.
    Only issue is that they school has requested that we set the floating toolbar to be hidden by default.
    At first I thought "easy, I'll just remove SMARTBoardTools.exe from startup" which does work...only issue is that now the pens don't work unless SMARTBoardTools.exe is running.

Now I know you can run SMARTBoardTools.exe with the bar hidden if you set it manually(and it'll only stick if the user can write to their profile), but I need to figure out if I can run it from a shortcut(to be placed in the all users start menu startup folder) with the toolbar set to hidden by default.

I can't seem to find out what the parametres are for SMARTBoardTools.exe...do any exist? If so, does anyone know what they are?

I know the users can simply run the shortcut to the tools from the desktop, but it'd be easier to get the above method working!

Thanks in advance!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I imagine a Reg_Key would be able to set this setting, but I do not have the software to look for it. You could then create a file which they can click on to set the tools to be hidden unless they change it in the options it would then be hidden permanently.

I don't think you would have any switches, I think a Reg_Key edit would be the only option to set this without the user going into the options and changing it.

Hopefully someone who has this will be able to find that setting for you or/ you could maybe look in the registry youself.

Something like RegShot would probably be useful. snapshot prior to setting changed, and then change the setting and take another snapshot to compare. Track Windows Registry changes with Regshot

Regards,
    James.

Thank Post
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SMART Technologies\SMART Board Drivers\Board Tools\

"noboard"=dword:00000001

I think thats it. by the way Smart Drivers, Notebook 11 is out now.
    Last edited by bigfoot780; 14th May 2012 at 11:09 AM. Reason: typo error

Thank Post
    I contacted Smart about this a while ago. Here is a copy of the e-mail they sent me:

I understand you wish to hide the floating tools in SMART Notebook™ 10.8. I can help you with this.

What I have been able to confirm is that the registry key will not be applied until the SMART Board tools has been exited.

The full registry path for disabling the floating tools is listed below along with the value needed to be changed.

Floating tools settings are stored in this key and the sub-keys. If showcmd in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SMART Technologies\SMART Board Drivers\Floating Tools\WindowPosition\Position is equal to zero the toolbar is hidden and if the value is equal to 5, the toolbar is shown.
    What I did was add the key to our default user profile which works a treat but you should be able to deploy it via GPP too which will be better than a shortcut (which i guess needs admin rights?). I really wish they would have it switched off by default as they put it in annoying place.

Dave

5. Thanks to Dave84 from:

AngryTechnician (23rd May 2012)

Thank Post
    Doh this is to hide the message about the board not being connected. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot780 View Post
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SMART Technologies\SMART Board Drivers\Board Tools\

"noboard"=dword:00000001

I think thats it. by the way Smart Drivers, Notebook 11 is out now.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread