+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Logicator 2004 in Technical; When using a staff account this runs without issue however it gives the error message: The application failed to initialise ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Logicator 2004

When using a staff account this runs without issue however it gives the error message: The application failed to initialise (absolute path information is required).

Wes
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post

Re: Logicator 2004

Nice wallpaper.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Cool isn't it? lol

Wes

Thank Post

I believe this is a permissions issue. I think I may have an email somewhere detailing the correct permissions required.

Question: is Logicator running locally or from a network share?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Have to agree, very nice wallpaper, I keep meaning to design one for our place but never get around to it. Must do so this summer and set it as part of the image for the logon screen that would be nice.

Anyway, Im fairly sure its also permission

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Running locally.

Wes

Thank Post

Okay so I'm asked by a teacher to get logicator 2004 installed in a classroom and this 'absolute paths' error occurs when the app is run.

I have tried everything from altering the path of the shortcut to assigning full permissions to a test student account to get it to work without any luck. So far the only temporary measure that works is getting the kiddiewinks to log on locally to run it, even though this is technically what happens anyway (the app is installed on the local machine, only the shortcut is on our server so that it can be mapped to which ever group logs on etc).

I then try asking God (aka Google) for some answers and guess which is one of the first results to pop up? The one posted here by my boss ^_^

I was just wondering - did anyone ever manage to find another way around this?

PS glad you like my wallpaper ^_^_^

Thank Post
    I've managed to find a work-around to get it to run, but it's a bit nasty because you have to run it under different credentials (as the other poster said, it's a permissions problem but I haven't the time to track it down properly):

* On the/each local machine create a local account with *ordinary* user privs (eg. account:testact, password: testpwd)
    * Replace the shortcut to logicator with a batch file containing:
    @runas /user:%COMPUTERNAME%\testact /savecred "%PROGRAMFILES%\Economatics\Logicator 2004\Logicator.exe"

Then log on as this new local account (otherwise, when this gets run for the first time it will take *ages* to load because it's busy creating the account on the machine for the first time etc etc), and log off again.

Get the student/test user to log on and run the batch file. The batch file will prompt for a password, so just key in the local account password (testpwd in this case) and it works! The /savecred switch in the command line will save the password so that this only need happen once (per account, per machine).

The only real drawbacks are that any mapped drives are lost because you're effectivly on as a different user (so, in the program, file > save as will not give you your mapped network drives to save to, but a USB memory stick will work fine).

Also it's giving the little darlings the ability to log on as a local user (if they put 2 and 2 together and work out the logon details that is) which may not be desirable even if they do only have normal user privs.

LOL if anyone has found a better way I'm open to suggestions =P

Thank Post
    OK, well I think Im using the latest version here, but when I set it up last year I had to script the copying of the xml licence file to each workstation after the MSI had finished otherwise it would come up with a similar error

If you're using active directory would it not be easier to use group policy to set the permissions on the logicator folder?

Thank Post
    Came across this thread while creating a new Logicator topic for another problem.

Logicator 2004 v5 build 52 has been released for a long while now and should be installed (fixes numerous problems including some with control boxes IIRC). v5 build 52 can be obtained: Economatics Education: Logicator Technical Support

Setting the program to run as another user strikes me as a bit extreme :S

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread