+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Adobe Photoshop too advanced for use in schools? in Technical; Looking at purchasing the Adobe Design and Web premium suite to use in our school however talking to some members ...

Thank Post

Adobe Photoshop too advanced for use in schools?

Looking at purchasing the Adobe Design and Web premium suite to use in our school however talking to some members of staff they are concerned it is too complicated for students.

Anyone been using Adobe suite for students 11-16yr old? Would you say it is too complicated for them or have they found it to be about right?

I know a lot depends on the teacher and how well they can use the likes of Photoshop etc.

I have been looking at the Corel suites which are really expensive and the Serif suites which are more economical. Adobe site licence seems to be somewhere between Corel and Serif and it is industry standard software so that's why I am leaning more towards Adobe now.

Any other suites out there that are worth looking at?

Thanks,
    Chris

Thank Post
    Check out Photo editor online / free image editing direct in your browser - Pixlr.com - it might do everything you want and is free :-)

3. Thanks to Dom_ from:

maark (31st May 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have you considered Photoshop elements? Its allot more simple.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,211 Times in 761 Posts
    We used Adobe from about Year 9/10 onwards in my last school, but we also started using some of the Serif packages for price reasons, and they are less complicated to use.

Try not to go with the "industry standard" argument; pick what works best for teaching in your setting. The skills should be transferable anyway.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,437 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Our IT teachers have started experimenting with teaching it in Year 7; really, it's just about getting the right resources, and having a teacher who knows what they're doing in the most recent version. Knowing what you were doing in Photoshop 7 isn't really good enough, because a lot of the changes made in more recent versions have made it more usable - e.g. Quick Select, instead of faffing around with Magnetic Lasso (how glad I am I don't need that anymore).

Check Adobe TV, or use the resources you get with the CS5 set, or just look up tutorials online - one of our teachers found a guide to turning yourself into a Big Blue Avatar Alien and has used that a few times. Better to give them a clear goal ("put yourself in a film poster") rather than basing it round the tools ("learn to use layer masks")
    Last edited by sonofsanta; 4th May 2012 at 02:50 PM. Reason: tpying

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,169 Times in 1,604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by northerner_chris View Post
    ... some members of staff they are concerned it is too complicated for students.
    Otherwise translated as "some teachers are concerned that its too complicated for them to use themselves"?

If my teenager is anything to go by, the students pick it up very quickly.

Thank Post
    Yeah did consider the elements versions but don't think they're covered/included in the site licence package I was looking at - instead its the full blown versions. The suite I was looking at includes dreamweaver, fireworks and flash which we already use just about 9 years out of date!

Thank Post
    We use it (CS3) for 11-18 year olds and they seem to get on fine. The tally of .psd's from art students would indicate it's used heavily.

Ensure you load the video tutorial dvd contents onto a network share/the image - they're very good as a way to build up knowledge.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We use CS4 (5 from September) for ours and it's very heavily used, as is a lot of other stuff in that suite like Premier.

I will stick my neck out here and translate for you:

"talking to some members of staff they are concerned it is too complicated for students."

"I don't know the people I am teaching, and/or it's too complicated for me"

It's a bit of a generalisation but unfortunately probably also largely correct.

Thank Post
    Our students have the option of Photoshop or Fireworks - most choose Photoshop.

Our staff have the option of Photoshop or Fireworks - most choose Fireworks.

It's only really as complicated as you want it to be, if the students are shown how to use it they will take to it relatively quickly. I do agree however, it is a steep learning curve if you are wanting to do more than just the basics. I guess you have got to look at what is required in the schemes of work and work out whether it is going to be cost effective to purchase something like CS5 if the majority of the features are not going to be used. We tend to use it here in a lot of lessons other than just ICT - Graphics, Media, Art etc.

Thank Post
    We have the full Adobe Master collection, and the ICT teacher teach it to all of the years 7-13. But we're a Grammar school, so in theory they're more intelligent.

They also have taught some of the year 4,5 and 6s from some of our linked primaries, although I'm not sure how much they teach them.

Thank Post
    We use Photoshop elements here (primary school) for lessons where the parents and students take part and although they are young the kids pick it up very quickly so I don't see how older children would struggle with the extra complications of full photoshop. I used it in high school and loved it!

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the comments sounds pretty much like Adobe's the way to go, could do with finding some decent training for the staff!

Thank Post
    Another +1 for Photoshop here. Don't laugh, but we've got Adobe Photoshop CS and the MACROMEDIA suite for Dreamweaver/Fireworks etc. (Although we have now bought the Adobe suite which has just given us CS6 for summer). The kids are aged 11-16 and are fine using Photoshop, although they don't use it to it's full potential - they do things like using the magic wand and nothing else to try and cut out backgrounds etc.

Although we have just started a Photoshop club to teach them about the power and potential of Photoshop which has been very popular and they pick it up very quickly!

Thank Post
    We use CS3 here and the kids take to it quite easily, we do provide lots of online resources too, I found that EntheosWeb - Web & Graphic Design Solutions to be a good resource, it also has Flash/Dreamweaver resources too.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast