+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Educational Software Thread, VNC. Why do school techies dislike it? in Technical; The problem is that the logistics of visually challenged students moving around the school and allocating a VNC viewing session ...

Thank Post
    The problem is that the logistics of visually challenged students moving around the school and allocating a VNC viewing session to them just for one lesson that just lets them view the teachers screen in the classroom they are in. Basically VNC doesnt have the admin options to securely deal with making sure that the pupils that need to can use it and the pupils that shouldn't be using it don't.

I use it in my primaries where its installed on the visually challenged pupil's laptop but of course security/abuse isn't an issue.

Si

Thank Post
    we use a program called Impero - Impero Classroom and Computer Lab Management Software for the Entire Network
    basically the teacher can broadcast their screen to a group of users, from a main console.

have a look, we find it very useful!

let me know how you get on.

3. Thanks to Jordy-Gaz from:

russdev (9th April 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Here is another one that is free:
    Desktop Screen Sharing Software - Broadcast Your Screen

Not that the OP seemed too interested in other solutions.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 8th April 2012 at 07:48 PM.

5. Thanks to SYNACK from:

SimpleSi (8th April 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts
    Um - we just use a splitter and connect the student's laptop using this so that they can see what is on the whiteboard screen. Obviously it means a cable lying about but the visually impaired student is usually at the front of the class anyway so it isnt too much of an issue. In the IT suite we have a splitter and a cable that goes up through the ceiling space, coming down above the first machine for when it is needed.

7. Thanks to witch from:

SimpleSi (8th April 2012)

Thank Post
    @witch - I like the simple approach

Si

Thank Post
    Not that the OP seemed too interested in other solutions.
    I think he'll go with any solution that school tech teams will allow

He just doesn't understand that they view VNC as too insecure and open to to much abuse to allow on the networks

That desktop sharing app looks as if if might tick all the boxes

Si

Thank Post
    I wouldn't use VNC - for me it allows too much access, even witht the client sat there idle. We use Impero and I could not champion it enough. It's a product I've been with since V1.0 and it's best in my opinion as its been written by people who worked in education! The broadcast facility would enable the staff to deliver full screen copies of any work on their screen, straight to the pupils laptop etc. Not to add the fact that the logging, hierarchical web filtering, file send and remote log on etc are all valuable lab management tools.

11. Thanks to iaatkinson from:

russdev (9th April 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iaatkinson View Post
    It's a product I've been with since V1.0 and it's best in my opinion as its been written by people who worked in education!
    Careful there, education written software can be some of the worst software known to man. Written by some english teacher who fancies themselves a developer after running though a few tutorials on Flash or worse, 'education proffessionals' from universities who manage to make simple quiz applications 700mb in size and use every bit of open source software that exists.

Ideally you want the ideas and the input of the technical and teaching side while the software side is handled by people who know what they are doing in terms of software.

13. 2 Thanks to SYNACK:

iaatkinson (8th April 2012), russdev (9th April 2012)

Thank Post
    I completely agree with you on this one... I will rephrase my badly written post!

The idea was conceived by a couple of chaps who had experience managing school IT infrastructure. The product has developed over several years with input coming via their forums and support desk, allowing educators to suggest features and changes. This on top of a stable product, makes it an ideal choice for what you are trying to achieve here and I am using the product to do just what is described.

15. Thanks to iaatkinson from:

russdev (9th April 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Careful there, education written software can be some of the worst software known to man. Written by some english teacher who fancies themselves a developer after running though a few tutorials on Flash or worse, 'education proffessionals' from universities who manage to make simple quiz applications 700mb in size and use every bit of open source software that exists.

Ideally you want the ideas and the input of the technical and teaching side while the software side is handled by people who know what they are doing in terms of software.
    Can honestly say Lee & Jon are not English teacher who through they were developers... Just clarify Lee & Jon worked as IT Managers and from that the product developed... In fact Lee & Jon even through we have expanded our development teams still today do some coding on the product..

Making it useful for schools is probably number one focus of the product maybe why developers hate me so much

Russell

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by visualman View Post
    I have being trying for over a year to get a school to use VNC to enable visually impaired pupils at KS3 to receive the IWB image on their laptops. However there is a universal dislike of it down here in sunny Dorset. I am told it is too difficult to install, or too insecure or it will enable the student to corrupt the school network. I am unable to argue the case because I am a guest in the school and have no real authority to insist on it unless I envoke the DDA which is a big hammer and immediately gets backs up. All I want is access to the IWB!

There are concerns with VNC and while we use it under certain circumstances where I work, I totally sympathise with people who won't.

Mentioning things like DDA allows you to insist that a solution is found, and I'd encourage you to do so if that is what it takes to meet the needs of all students, but it doesn't allow you to insist on one solution over another, just to produce a list of requirements that have to be met.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts
    From what I read, the OP is an LA employee and as such he wouldnt have the power to tell the school to buy something like Impero, brilliant though it may be - so the solution has to be very cheap or free.
    I hope he understands a little more why VNC may not be the perfect answer he was hoping for now.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12