+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Adobe CS5 in Technical; ...

Thank Post

Adobe CS5

Morning all,

We're experiencing a number of problems with our Adobe CS5 installation, particularly Flash Professional.

1. Unexpected File Format - Increasingly regularly students are seeing this message when they try to open a file. Doesn't matter how or when the file was created.
    2. We've recently upgraded the version to 11.0.2.489, and since then we also get errors relating to missing fonts. This is fixable, in that we have to open the file on a non upgraded PC, change the fonts to something generic and then the user can then open the file and open the files on the upgraded PC's. This is very laborious, and we didn't have any special fonts installed on the machines in the first place, just whatever came with Flash/Windows in the first place.
    3. Since the upgrade, we now find that students cannot publish their flash files to html or to a flash movie. Flash Professional hangs on them and then crashes out.

I've spoken to Adobe and the first person I spoke to could only suggest we pay an additional £5000 to upgrade to the latest release. The second person I spoke to refused to speak to me unless I paid a fee for support.

Anyone come across any of these problems? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    This support issue with Adobe really urks me. We've recently purchased 6 copies of PS CS5.1 and the installs keep corrupting (error 16) and the only fix is to reinstall or fix the permissions (that doesn't work btw). Its a brand new product on brand new machines and I have to pay them £20 per support call! F.U. Adobe...

Thank Post
    They've also told me that they don't support saving files across a network.......what use is this to me?

Thank Post
    Hi Iain,

Problem number 3 sounds familiar to one that we had at the school I work at. When trying to save files, the software crashes - however ours was with Fireworks, not flash. Anyway after no help from Adobe we found a solution. Not sure if it is THE solution but it's working. If you have user names that contain full stops that aren't administrators e.g. firstname.lastname you will get this error. Remove the full stops and the files would save.

crazy eh

5. Thanks to Svarcy from:

Iain.Faulkner (20th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanks Svarcy,

Unfortunately our usernames are simply text and numbers so no full stops in there :-(

Thank Post
    we had tonnes of issues with CS5.5 since we rolled it out, I think it's just not designed to place nicely with networked environments... or non-admin users.

kids don't always wait, they just hit save, then log out regardless of whether the task has finished, this usually left incomplete files floating around. Sometimes, you can solve the problem by manually specifying the file extension as part of the filename when saving...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain.Faulkner View Post
    They've also told me that they don't support saving files across a network.......what use is this to me?
    Yup we had that conversation when we purchased CS4, supposedly they dont support saving files anything other than locally and when i spoke to them about this they said Premiere Pro wouldn't work saving files on a network.

2 years later and we are still saving files across the network and it still works fine.

The products are good, the support sucks.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread