+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Slow save problem with MRBS in Technical; We're having problems Using MRBS, Meeting Room Booking System. In the last few days, when saving a new entry or ...
    Thank Post

Cool Slow save problem with MRBS

We're having problems Using MRBS, Meeting Room Booking System.

In the last few days, when saving a new entry or editing an old one.. When I use the Save button, it greys out and takes around 1.5 minutes to save. Displaying of pages is generally acceptably fast.

Was nice and fast before that for several weeks since install.. we have used an earlier version of mrbs last year before changing the server. That was great!

I don't remember doing anything to the server that could have broken it.

Meeting Room Booking System: MRBS 1.4.8
    Database: MySQL 5.1.41-3ubuntu12.10
    System: Linux web 2.6.32-38-generic-pae #83-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jan 4 12:11:13 UTC 2012 i686
    Server time: Tue Feb 28 11:56:17 2012
    PHP: 5.3.2-1ubuntu4.14

System load is low, around 0.2

Mysqld and apache2 do appear at the top of "top", but with very low cpu and memory.

I've restarted the server a couple of times, restarted apache and mysqld

Does this on all browsers, and even from home from it's public IP

Ideas anyone? I've spent several hours testing, looking at apache2, mysql logs, testing the disks...

I've gone hermit in a far flung basement office with my headphones on to try and get this problem sorted..

ta
    Craig

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,378 Times in 842 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just one thing, I would strongly recommend you patch your php to 5.3.10 as versions before had some big holes.

Thank Post
    We met and solved this problem. The root cause is that, as default, mrbs monthly updates timezone information via Internet. If your mrbs installation is behind company firewalls, timeout occurs while editing / adding new booking entry in 28 days after a whole new mrbs installation.

The easiest solution is to disable the periodical timezone update (if your installation does not require daylight saving ...) by adding a specific option in your config.inc.php:

$zoneinfo_update = FALSE;

If timezone info is concerned for you, it's probally necessary to consult your firewall administrator to allow mrbs access to Internet. For more details, please check mrbs documents, like systemdefaults.inc.php:

35 // If you are using iCalendar notifications of bookings (see the mail settings below)
    36 // then the iCalendar attachment includes a definition of your timezone in
    37 // VTIMEZONE format. This defines the timezone, including the rules for Daylight
    38 // Saving Time transitions. This information is included in the MRBS distribution.
    39 // However, as governments can change the rules periodically, MRBS will check from
    40 // time to time to see if there is a later version available on the web. If your
    41 // site prevents external access to the web, this check will time out. However
    42 // you can avoid the timeout and stop MRBS checking for up to date versions by
    43 // setting $zoneinfo_update = FALSE;

4. Thanks to ycluc from:

doofusdog (21st March 2012)

Thank Post
    Ah!!! Very pleased to know what was going on.. I ended up changing the internet connection used to one without a mandatory proxy... Thanks people!!

Craig

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread