+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, CD/DVD Copying in Technical; So basically staff have been coming up to me asking about copying CD's DVD's so they can be used in ...
    Thank Post

CD/DVD Copying

So basically staff have been coming up to me asking about copying CD's DVD's so they can be used in more than one classroom etc. I have kinda gone along the lines of if you can provide me with information email, or letter to say it's ok to do so then sure if not then if it states on the CD/DVD unauthorised copying etc i aint touching it.

They kinda give the 'are you for real? face' but whats your guys and gals view on this and the legal stance? and can we do it?

To be honest i am not comfortable doing it in the first place because if anything it would be my head on the line no one else hence why i haven't done it.

Thank Post
    Same here. No proof of legality of software and no proof that they're allowed to copy it then NO WAY FOOL!!

3. Thanks to DAZZD88 from:

north-ict (5th December 2011)

Thank Post
    If the DVD was recorded from "Free to Air" television, and you have an ERA licence, then you are OK. If the original is bought/rented then you would be breaking the law (currently, but it may change...).

5. Thanks to Andrew_C from:

Thank Post
    Well the nice thing is i sent an email to the head in regards to my stance and what i said in the earlier post and he is in total agreement with me on it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,291 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Aye, it's up to the staff to prove legality, don't get caught jumping through hoops for them.

Also, if you're under an LEA it might be worth getting in contact and asking if they've a copyright manager/administrator. I built a good relationship with my last LEAs one and he helped me write some guidance documents that got issued to all local schools. they'll also be able to help with any licence purchases you may need..

8. Thanks to Domino from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by north-ict View Post
    so they can be used in more than one classroom etc.
    Totally agree with what you're saying. You'll find some publishers are OK with a couple of copying scenarios:
    1. Copy the disc to use the duplicate in the rough and ready classroom world - in this case keep the original filed away and provide replacements as and when they bring back a scratched and exhausted disc that no longer plays. The teacher really has to buy into the fact that the copy they have has to then be treated as though it really is the original - and that there's no crappy copy-protection applied. Might be worth finding out what the cost of replacing the original disc would be... tech support guys can be helpful.

2. Depending on the usage terms - i.e. site rather than single-user, you may get lucky with authorisation to rip the disc to digital storage and serve it up over the network - bandwidth permitting of course.

Key to it is of course, that you get permission from the publisher either way; if you load that little task onto the teacher that'll keep them busy for a few days at least, and make them think about it more carefully.

10. Thanks to lickydog from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread