+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Running multiple instances of network-installed sherston software in Technical; Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum (and to this line of work!) & have looked around for help with ...
    vas

Thank Post

Running multiple instances of network-installed sherston software

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum (and to this line of work!) & have looked around for help with my problem but found nothing, so apologies if I've missed something obvious.

I'm having trouble running a Sherston package (Arcventure Egyptians) on more than 1 PC in a school I support. It is installed onto their NAS box and the 5 PCs needing access to it can all run it individually no problem. The trouble starts when trying to run it concurrently on 2 or more PCs. I get a message along the lines of "..unable to open <path to shared install directory on NAS>\shared_filestuff.cxt as the file is open with write permissions by another user.." on all except the PC which launched the software first.

I have checked through all the folders for any config / ini files which may need amending but can find nothing (other than details of save dir paths, etc, which are all ok). The teacher assures me that they have had it working like this before but I can't see what need amending to get it working (and the info in Sherstons packaging is of no use!!). It's probably something really simple & I'll look like a clown, but has anyone any suggestions to help me out?

many thanks in advance,

Andy

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,378 Times in 1,674 Posts
    It is a known issue with sherston software - there is a quick fix but I cant remember it as it has been a long time since I had the issue myself. Sherston tech support are very helpful and will have it sorted for you in a trice if you ring them!

Thank Post
    The guys at Sherston are always on the ball. Try this first though.

From the Sherston FAQ's.

"Unable to open filename because it is already open with write permission by another user"
    This error occasionally occurs when more than one person is trying to run the same program from a network location. This error occurs because one or more files are not set as read only. To resolve this issue:
    Ensure that there are no instances of the program running.
    Browse to the installation location on the network.
    Right click the folder called "Appdata" and select "Properties".
    On the "General" tab remove the tick from the "Read-only" checkbox and immediately re-add the tick.
    Apply these changes to this folder, subfolders and files. Ensure that there are no instances of the program running.

vas

Thank Post
    Thanks for the quick responses, I did try messing around with the read-only settings for various folders / files but to no avail. The strange thing was that I tried to make the file in question 'read only' (was just curious to see if the program would still run or whether it did actually need write access) but it kept reverting back to being un-ticked!!

Oh well, I'm not back at that school for another week so they'll have to wait or figure it out theirselves ;-)

Thanks again

Andy

Thank Post
    Hi,

I work on the Technical HelpDesk at Sherston Software - many thanks for the positive feedback regarding our service earlier in this thread. We aim to please!

This is a problem that occurs when trying to run Sherston Software titles from the same installation, on more than one workstation simultaneously (e.g. when running the program from a network share). It occurs because the first workstation locks the SWF files in the appdata subdirectory of the installation folder, preventing subsequent workstations from opening the files.

In many instances, this can be resolved by applying the read-only attribute to the appdata folder after exiting all instances of the software that are running (people are often caught out by attempting to apply this whilst a workstation is running the software - which doesn't work). If this doesn't resolve the problem for you, this should:

1. Exit all instances of the program running on your network.
    2. Browse into the installation folder. Right-click the appdata folder and select Properties.
    3. Click the Security tab. If the Security tab is not available, see the Additional Information section (below).
    Important Note: Users of Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 or later should click the Edit button on the Security tab in order to edit permissions.
    4. Select the Everyone group. If the Everyone group is not present in the list:
    • Click the Add button.
    • Enter Everyone in the Enter the object names to select: box.
    • Click OK.
    5. Place a tick in the Deny box against Write in the Permissions for Everyone.
    6. Click Apply and then click OK.

If you do encounter problems with Sherston Software titles, we're available by telephone on 01666 843224 and email to support@sherston.com from 0830 to 1700, Monday to Friday (bank holidays excepted!)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread