+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Dragon Dictation on iPad in Technical; I'm curious to know if any other schools, particularly in Hampshire, have run into problems trying to use the Dragon ...

Thank Post

Dragon Dictation on iPad

I'm curious to know if any other schools, particularly in Hampshire, have run into problems trying to use the Dragon Dictation app over a wireless network? The app launches fine but soon displays an error message "Cannot connect to our system. Please make sure that you have an internet connection". I know for a fact that the app works fine on my home wifi which leads me to believe that there must be an issue with our network.

Please help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,158 Times in 1,596 Posts
    The message suggests that the iPad is trying to connect to the internet... do you have a proxy involved in your internet connection? Does other internet stuff work?

Thank Post
    Thanks for the reply.

Yes, there we do go through a LA proxy but Internet is otherwise working perfectly.

Could it be that we need to open specific ports to allow access?

Thank Post
    We also get the same error message on our school wireless - it's a job for next week to have a scan through the logs and try and identify where it's trying to get too.

Thank Post
    We get the same problem, also didn't work when I ran it through a transparent proxy and then onto our network, so I assume its some sort of filtering issue, or non standard port it is connecting over.

Steve

Thank Post
    Glad to know we're not the only ones having trouble!

I've logged a ticket with our support team and I will post the outcome on here as soon as I get a response back from them.

Thank Post

Ports...

Probably not what you want to hear but if you're going through an LA Firewall you're unlikely to get this to work...

It uses port 443 which is normally for HTTPS traffic. You'll have to talk very nicely to the people who look after your webfilter...

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us.

Dragon Dictation works with Wi-Fi but the network needs to accept transferring data to our servers. Some Wi-Fi network are preventing our application from communicating with our servers because some ports are being blocked. For example, we use port 443, the port that's normally used for https. As well, we currently do not support Proxy servers, so please keep this in mind when trying to use Dragon Dictaion.

Regards
    Dragon Mobile Apps Support

Thank Post
    Good news...!

After speaking with LA, we allowed access through port 443 and then it was just a case of checking the firewall logs and adding the IP address in was looking at to the 'approve' list.

I hope this helps others having the same issue.

CGN

Thank Post
    Posting more detail as this was a pain to track down.

To get Dragon Dictation to work...I had to allow traffic to the following IP Addresses on our content filter:

There may be more, but that's what I've found so far...

Thank Post
    We worked on this today with our web filter. The issue is that the app such as Dragon Dictation (and some others) is trying to send non SSL traffic over the SSL port 443. Some web filters do not like this since they think that someone is trying to circumvent the filter to bypass it. We had to unblock the following 2 ips over port 443 to make this work.

1st side note - We use St. Benard's iprism for our district web filter and our Education Service Unit use a Lightspeed filter. Eventhough their filter is not supposed to be doing anything with our traffic, we still had to allow port 443 to those ips on both filters.

2nd Side note - We had the same issue with SIRI and had to unblock 17.174.4.9 port 443 on both filters again to make SIRI work as well.

It seems that this may something to look for if you can't find something being blocked in your web filter.

Hope this helps someone.

Jason

11. Thanks to elkhornps from:

dhicks (3rd June 2013)

Thank Post
    What I got back from Nuance:

"Dragon Dictation for US English connects to ap.nvc.dictation.enUS.nuancemobility.net, via port 443. If you use the app for other languages, please specify which ones. In addition, the app needs to connect to *.nuance.com for displaying the license agreement (EULA) portion.

Note that we are not using the HTTPS protocol. So if you are doing any sort of protocol analysis/filtering, it will fail. Finally, our apps are not proxy-aware. Therefore, you need to ensure that our apps have direct access to our servers, or that your proxy, if you use one, is transparent to our apps."

worked for me.

13. Thanks to dango3 from:

dhicks (3rd June 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dango3 View Post
    Dragon Dictation for US English connects to ap.nvc.dictation.enUS.nuancemobility.net, via port 443. If you use the app for other languages, please specify which ones. In addition, the app needs to connect to *.nuance.com for displaying the license agreement (EULA) portion.
    The Dragon Dictation iOS app seems to support "GB English", going by the "languages supported" in their developer documentation, however pinging ap.nvc.dictation.enGB.nuancemobility.net doesn't even return a valid IP address. We have a Lightspeed filtering device, too - has anyone else had any luck getting Dragon Dictation traffic through one? I can add a local-ignore list on the Lightspeed box for the IP address of the specific iPad we currently have with Dragon Dictation on it, but that's obviously not a a good solution for a wider-scale deployment of the app. Creating an external-ignore list for 205.197.192.52 and 208.94.122.120 doesn't seem to work, although ap.nvc.dictation.enUS.nuancemobility.net, as above, does resolve to 205.197.192.52.

Is there something else I can set on the Lightspeed device to stop it getting in the way of Dragon Dictation traffic?

Thank Post
    Okay, so I've now found this page:

https://nuancemobility.zendesk.com/e...What-can-I-do-

That seems quite up-to-date. I've now created an External Ignore List in Lightspeed with those three IP addresses listed (65.124.114.215, 205.197.192.52 and 92.42.174.150) and added "ap.nvc.enGB.nuancemobility.net" to a URL pattern linked to the global policy that covers all clients on out network. The app still doesn't work, though - it still can;t connect to its backend servers.

Thank Post
    Right, after some (very prompt and useful) help from Lightspeed, we now have the following list of IP addresses in our External Ignore list:

The Dragon Dication app on iOS now seems to work okay on my iPad mini - I'll go and find a couple of teachers to give it a test, too, in a minute. The last address in the list was found by going to Lightspeed's Web Filter Report section, looking at the "Traffic By Internal IP & External IP" report and filtering on just the iPad's internal IP address - that gave me a list of the IP addresses my iPad had been trying to contact, which seemed to do the trick. Dont forget to add "ap.nvc.enGB.nuancemobility.net" to your allowed domain / URL patterns list (if your Dragon Dictation app is set to use UK English, other URLs are needed for other languages).

--
    David Hicks

17. 2 Thanks to dhicks:

1066girl (5th June 2014), Eappariello (5th June 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread