+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Sam Learning on iPAD? in Technical; Is anyone out there using Sam learning on iPad? We can't get activities to work because Flash is not supported ...
    LB1

Thank Post

Sam Learning on iPAD?

Is anyone out there using Sam learning on iPad? We can't get activities to work because Flash is not supported on iPad. Does anyone have a workround for this? Many thanks.

Thank Post
    Get a laptop?

Seriously though - if you want Flash this is gonna be the only option as MS, Apple and probably Google, are ditiching Flash for all Tablet devices
    IE10 in Tablet mode Win8 wont support flash, but IE10 for the desktop version will....
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 3rd October 2011 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Merged - ZH

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 760 Posts
    RDP client connected to TS server which will run web browser with flash plugin

Other than that get laptops as Matt has stated

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    RDP client connected to TS server which will run web browser with flash plugin

Other than that get laptops as Matt has stated
    **cough** who?!

LB1

Thank Post
    eh, what is TS server? Please excuse ignorance!

PS Bursar already laid out for 20 ipads - so no going back now!

Thank Post
    Steve Jobs says no.
    Thoughts on Flash

Even the alternate browsers I've seen that "do" Flash don't really. They just have servers that transcode the videos at the backend before sending it to the iPad as HTML 5.

You might want to trade those iPads in for Blackberry Playbooks if Flash on the device is crucial ( BlackBerry PlayBook - Flash (:30) - YouTube ), otherwise as has been said you need to connect to something in the backend e.g. Terminal Server or a Citrix App server streaming Internet Explorer to the iPad etc.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    IE10 in Tablet mode Win8 wont support flash, but IE10 for the desktop version will....
    I didn't know that Gatt. What's so bad about Flash that it can run on a desktop or laptop but not a tablet? Or are they all gambling on HTML5?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    **cough** who?!
    Apologies Gatt didn't have me glasses on last night

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LB1 View Post
    eh, what is TS server? Please excuse ignorance!

PS Bursar already laid out for 20 ipads - so no going back now!
    In easy terms it is a server which allows users to log in remotely using the remote desktop protocol (RDP) client to access programs which would not ordinarily be able to run on the clients own OS as in your case.

Look here

This would I presume cover the use of flash on your IPads as there are a couple of good RDP client apps for the IPad which I have used, it would be just like the students logging on to the network but remotely.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We just changed our website to remove any flash objects specifically because of complaints from ipad and iphone users.

Flash is dead

Might be worth speaking to Sam Learning to see if they are going to do an HTML5 version. Loads of sites are changing because of this ipad thing.

Thank Post
    Might be worth speaking to Sam Learning to see if they are going to do an HTML5 version. Loads of sites are changing because of this ipad thing.
    Are they though really? There are a lot of children's websites which use Flash. Even the likes of Google are only testing HTML5 with youtube. They haven't rolled out a HTML5 version.

HTML5 as a standard isn't even complete yet, so it makes it really hard for developers to convert their sites.

If you want portability and compatibility with any standard, just buy a Windows netbook. I still struggle to see the advantages of integrating the code directly into a browser.

I don't install Flash on any of my servers, so it's one less thing for viruses, malware or similar to exploit. It's the same with Java or any other plugin. If HTML5 is to be included there should at the very least be an option to turn it off.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Are they though really? There are a lot of children's websites which use Flash. Even the likes of Google are only testing HTML5 with youtube. They haven't rolled out a HTML5 version.
    I think so yes! we just removed all flash from our website for exactly this reason.

Another big site that just changed is slideshare, they were a big flash user but recently migrated to HTML5. SlideShare Blog

I hear even windows 8 metro will not support flash so its good to see it finally being pushed out.

Thank Post
    This is a perfect example of what I am talking about and there are many other sites the same out there.

14. 2 Thanks to Michael:

SimpleSi (5th October 2011), SYNACK (5th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    We have no concrete plans yet, although we do see HTML 5 as the way to go. The basic problem is that there are more IE6 users of our site as there are iPad/iPhone users (i.e. not many), and re-writing all of our Flash activities would take time and be expensive. We are working on a strategy, but we can't officially support iPhones at the moment. I realise, of course, that we would have more iPad clients if we supported that platform!

Your best bet at the moment would be to use Puffin, which some of us here at SAM have tried installing. It seems to work ok, but is not officially supported.

16. Thanks to samlearning from:

plexer (10th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,799 Times in 1,117 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by samlearning View Post
    We have no concrete plans yet, although we do see HTML 5 as the way to go. The basic problem is that there are more IE6 users of our site as there are iPad/iPhone users (i.e. not many), and re-writing all of our Flash activities would take time and be expensive. We are working on a strategy, but we can't officially support iPhones at the moment. I realise, of course, that we would have more iPad clients if we supported that platform!

Your best bet at the moment would be to use Puffin, which some of us here at SAM have tried installing. It seems to work ok, but is not officially supported.
    Since Puffin stores ands streams the flash from an overseas hosted server how much personal data is passed through that server too?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast