+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Educational Software Thread, Sam Learning on iPAD? in Technical; Originally Posted by GrumbleDook Since Puffin stores ands streams the flash from an overseas hosted server how much personal data ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Since Puffin stores ands streams the flash from an overseas hosted server how much personal data is passed through that server too?
    The student's full name and username would be passed through that server. Our Flash applications work on a need-to-know basis, so only the bare minimum of data is communicated between the app and the server.

We use HTTPS for our connections, but have no idea what security is in place when data is routed through Puffin. It's one of the reasons why we can't support it officially.

In general, the most sensitive data tends to be on the teacher side. Avoid using systems like Puffin to log in as a teacher unless you are happy with them having access to all the data that you do. Different schools and Local Authorities have different policies about this kind of thing, so it might be an idea to check what policy is in place.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    Is there no way to deploy something locally like puffin that your users could use aside from the TS allready mentioned, I guess you could probably acheive the same thing using windows multipoint server.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Is there no way to deploy something locally like puffin that your users could use aside from the TS allready mentioned, I guess you could probably acheive the same thing using windows multipoint server.

Ben
    It's a possibility. I can't promise anything, though. I'll look into it.

To be honest, one of the things I'm concerned about is that schools will just plump for cheaper tablet computers that have Flash capability. Has your school already invested in iPads?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,967 Times in 2,182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    This is a perfect example of what I am talking about and there are many other sites the same out there.
    Have they not heard of HTML5Media or SublimeVideo?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,967 Times in 2,182 Posts
    Is there any reason Sam Learning et al can't do what the developers of Machinarium did which their Flash-based game on the iPad 2?

blogs.adobe.com/flashplatform/2011/09/flash-based-machinarium-game-is-now-1-ipad-app-delivered-using-adobe-air.html

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    I don't own or have anything to do with EducationCity, but I know many schools use it and their technical explanation is spot on with regards to the problems with HTML5 and associated technologies.

There is no single, compatible 'out of the box' solution which is cross-browser compatible at the moment, which is why Flash is still the number one choice. Flash is cross-browser compatible and nothing else out there currently is.

You also have to remember companies are out there to make money, so re-writing code is of no real benefit, yet it costs money - lots of money. Customers can't be expected to take the hit and at the end of the day, children do not care whether it uses Flash or HTML5.

If I did own EducationCity, I would be waiting until there was cross-browser HTML5 solution. You also have to bear in mind however that just because IE9 or FF7 is released, it doesn't mean all users are suddenly using it. The world doesn't work like that.

It's estimated Windows 7 will be on 50% of workstations worldwide, so from a developer point of view IE8 use is going to go up because Windows 7 comes pre-installed with it by default. Although IE9 is growing in popularity, it's still a small percentage as users need to install it manually.

LB1

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the replies. We would like to implement Puffin but it is stopped by our network and we don't know why. Puffin have ignored my requests for information which puts me off as a viable option. Using Terminal Server or a Citrix App server streaming Internet Explorer to the iPad may be an option. How workable is this for multiple children accessing various parts of Sam Learning website? Is this the type of service we could pay for by a hosting company or perhaps Sam Learning could offer this as an option? I'm grateful for any ideas. Thanks.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12