+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, User missing from Moodle in Technical; We have Moodle syncing with MS AD. The sync runs successfully, and all newly created AD users do get imported ...

Thank Post

User missing from Moodle

We have Moodle syncing with MS AD. The sync runs successfully, and all newly created AD users do get imported into Moodle on the next sync (daily).

But we do have some users who just don't get synced. They are in the same OU in AD with the same settings and everything's fine. Why don't they sync into Moodle and is there anything I can do to add the missing users in?

Thank Post
    why not just turn on moolde ldap authentication? That way when users log in for the first time their account is automatically created. You can then use the moodle settings to pull in all the ad user information you want (names, id number etc) and moodle will automatically get these records up to date on each login.

Thank Post
    Hi nLinked,

I had a similar issue which i finally solved a couple weeks back, I also believe that this is a common issue with importing users into the Moodle DB. Ours was down to a set limit in the Active Directory and having more than 1000 users in AD. Have a look at these two links, one is a link about this issue in Moodle and the other is a MS tech article on how to change this limit.
    Using Moodle: LDAP sync users - what to do if LDAP search limits the # of records it'll return
    How to view and set LDAP policy in Active Directory by using Ntdsutil.exe
    We have over 1400 users and when the import script requests the user details from AD via LDAP, by default the limit returned is the first 1000 users. So by increasing the limit, say to 1500 (More than the amount of users we have in the domain) i was able to import the full amount of users in the domain.

David

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by davipton View Post
    Hi nLinked,

I had a similar issue which i finally solved a couple weeks back, I also believe that this is a common issue with importing users into the Moodle DB. Ours was down to a set limit in the Active Directory and having more than 1000 users in AD. Have a look at these two links, one is a link about this issue in Moodle and the other is a MS tech article on how to change this limit.
    Using Moodle: LDAP sync users - what to do if LDAP search limits the # of records it'll return
    How to view and set LDAP policy in Active Directory by using Ntdsutil.exe
    We have over 1400 users and when the import script requests the user details from AD via LDAP, by default the limit returned is the first 1000 users. So by increasing the limit, say to 1500 (More than the amount of users we have in the domain) i was able to import the full amount of users in the domain.

David
    Thanks both. We do have it synced with AD and new users do get imported in. Thanks for the links, I do have the limit set to 10k users but there are still just some random users (who we don't find out about until they complain) who are not appearing in Moodle, although they are sitting in the right place in AD like everyone else.

I've even manually run the AD sync command on the Moodle backend but this only looks for latest changes/new users. I just don't know what else to do with the missing users.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread