+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Wordshark requires CD. No CD drive workaround? in Technical; Hi, We have been looking to install wordshark on the student machines but the problem is that wordshark requres the ...

Thank Post

Wordshark requires CD. No CD drive workaround?

Hi,

We have been looking to install wordshark on the student machines but the problem is that wordshark requres the cd to run. We have thought about sharing the cd drive on the teachers pc to the student machines but having 15 computers connecting to a single cd would probably slow it down too much.

Is there a away of installing it onto the server/machine to get around this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Fred

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,444 Posts
    I thought wordshark had an admin install but if not look at cd emulation on your client machines mounting an image of the cd.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Daemon tools with a site license, and then mount the image and good to go!!!

Thank Post
    If you have a site licence for Wordshark you will have a network install disk.
    This info is written on the label of the disk.

If it’s a single user licence the CD will be required to run and the copy protection will stop you imaging or copying the disk.

I have tried to copy the disk in a school that had one disk per machine it was installed on. The trouble is that the disks get damaged and scratched so I tried to replace them with a copy. I never managed it.

5. Thanks to mrwobbly from:

mr_wordshark (23rd December 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    Network Licence for Wordshark solves this I believe

7. Thanks to john from:

mr_wordshark (31st December 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts
    I managed to copy the CD to the server and it worked OK but in the end I spoke to the guy at Wordshark - and very helpful he was - and we bought a license and now it runs off the server very well

9. Thanks to witch from:

RTi

Thank Post
    Yes they have a Network version.. they have also started doing USB Stick versions for Netbooks w/o CD Drives..

11. Thanks to RTi from:

Thank Post
    Hi FredTed
    With obvious declaration of interest below!

We have several Wordshark licence forms, to suit most needs.
    1. the CD product (needs to be in the drive as the portable licence, so can be installed on many computers but used on just one at any time) Try to avoid this - fine for domestic use but not educationally or technically the best for a school for many reasons! Given the CD is the licence, it is of course copy -protected, though sadly we have a few who try to rip us off. Some even ring up to ask how to do so! If the CD gets damaged, we do have a disk replacement service so not the end of the world.
    2. the network product - given the program is increasingly used across the whole age/ability range by far the best value for money. Site licence for X concurrent computer users. Server based, so has no annual charges and no bandwidth requirements
    3. the multiple activation product - install onto individual machines rather like the CD product, but do not need the CD. Activate on line (or via another computer that is)
    4. the USB stick product - best for a teacher using at home and at school, takes data and program around on the stick. Also good for little Johnny who lives with Mum, goes to Dad at weekend, needs to take program and data to SENCO and home tutor.

13. 3 Thanks to mr_wordshark:

speckytecky (31st December 2011), TheScarfedOne (23rd December 2011), witch (23rd December 2011)

Thank Post
    Hi

Is this what you are after http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...DkG5nA&cad=rja

Richard

Thank Post

Wordshark requires CD

Quote Originally Posted by ricki View Post
    Hi

Is this what you are after http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...DkG5nA&cad=rja

Richard
    Hi Richard
    (Declaration of interest again)

It is possible that the link you have posted will be useful for some readers of this thread, and thanks for thinking to look. The link you have given provides instructions for people with our (now several years obsolete!) release 3.05 network product, and how to package this NETWORK version for use on a RM CC3 network.
    The original enquiry is about the Single User CD, and no mention was made of it being for a CC3 network, so I doubt it will be helpful for FredTed. That said, it may be useful for others with CC3 or CC4 and old network disks. For anyone with older or newer CC3/CC4 network disk, it will be worth looking at our instructions (written with RM Techs at their Abingdon/Didcot base) at:
    Community Connect

In the same link, you will see that single user CDs for Wordshark and Numbershark are NOT the product to go for if you have CC3/CC4.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I will make the assumption that this is in fact (a very, VERY common scenario) someone who has 15 CD's of Wordshark, and would like to use it on that amount of computers which would in fact be reasonable. These computers do not have optical drives - these days, what's the point.

No mention was made of copying the discs - I suspect this is a mistake regarding using daemon tools to mount the disc virtually. I can't see why this would be a problem?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    I will make the assumption that this is in fact (a very, VERY common scenario) someone who has 15 CD's of Wordshark, and would like to use it on that amount of computers which would in fact be reasonable. These computers do not have optical drives - these days, what's the point.

No mention was made of copying the discs - I suspect this is a mistake regarding using daemon tools to mount the disc virtually. I can't see why this would be a problem?

Hi Synaesthesia
    (Declaration of interest)
    Our own sales figures and experience show that very few schools would have anything like as many as 15 CDs. The original poster was trying to run one single user CD on 15 machines, which is not at all the same thing. If any school did ring us up here in Support and ask about a bulk rate for purchasing 15 CDs, we would be looking very carefully at why: Even 15 CDs bought at a bulk rate would be more expensive than a network licence or 15 single user activations (that do not need the disk in the drive, and which would be the obvious choice for standalone netbooks). In the past year, we have come across some schools wanting to buy CDs in bulk on behalf of parents, as a service and fund-raising activity. I can't recall any school buying 15, or even 10, single user CDs. What would be the point, given most schools are moving to netbooks and/or have a perfectly decent network to run our network product on.

If any Edugeek tech reading has bought 10+ CDs of Wordshark or Numbershark in the past year in preference to our other products, and can tell me why, I'd be interested. The only exception I can see is for schools in Northern Ireland who are on the C2K province-wide network, where their providers have contractual reasons for not installing our network product into individual schools.

I totally agree with you that many computers do not have optical drives, and many do not need them. We have a product (the activated installable version) that has been designed for such use - and we accept trade-ins on disks, right back to our old DOS disks (how many other firms allow a trade-in for software sold in the previous century?). If you feel there is more we as a company could/should do, please say. We do our best to listen (one reason why I'm here now!)

18. 4 Thanks to mr_wordshark:

john (31st December 2011), robk (31st December 2011), speckytecky (31st December 2011), TheScarfedOne (31st December 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for replying - couple of notes. 1. The amount of CD's bought was not disclosed, so unless you've liaised with them directly that is also an assumption which could of course be correct. 2. I can name in the area of 10 schools in my LEA with between 10 and 20 physical single user copies of Wordshark/Numbershark. They're older versions (all 3/3s iirc) but it would appear more commonplace than perhaps you realise. I had nothing to do with the purchasing of those obviously but when asked to support them naturally one must find a way.

None of the above schools used the software in a manner other than it's intention - on CC3 networks for instance on a school that had 10 physical copies we took that as 10 single-use licenses and therefore used VirtualCD to good effect (with the shortcuts available only to that amount of statically assigned computers).

Good to see your presence here btw, your products are immensely popular among primaries and SEN for good reason!

20. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

mr_wordshark (31st December 2011)

Thank Post
    Hi Synaesthesia,
    Thanks for the kind words: We have been well pleased to see how popular Wordshark and Numbershark remain with the children (and interestingly with a growing number of adults with a wish to improve their literacy/numeracy). I'd like to hope that we eventually become equally popular amongst techs, by producing the full range of solutions & support that are needed by you folks. Whilst we can't promise to deliver everything that techs ask, we are doing all we can to move the right direction, as you may see from our increased product range.

I do believe your earlier point about schools with large numbers of CDs, given you are mentioning v3. We know much larger numbers of v3 CDs will be in schools, as that was in an era when many schools did not have networks but did have loads of standalone computers with CD drives. Most of these CDs will be 5 - 12 years old (v4 Wordshark and Numbershark came out 4-5 years ago), and I would really advise the the schools for educational reasons to save a bit of cash next financial year, to trade these in and move to our latest releases, which have phonics and additional features that give even better value both in primary and secondary schools, for SEN and also for the rest of the ability range (now being used at the "other end", indeed I've been using it with a couple of folk at Masters degree level myself!

My point still stands - I would really not be advising any school in these days of netbooks and networks to be buying a load of v4 CDs when we have other products for Wordshark and Numbershark which are designed to be better for school use.

Regarding the very old v3 disks on CC3 networks - all I would say is that trading those 10 CDs in would go well towards the price of a site network licence of v4, with rather less messing about for the tech, and technically, practically and educationally better. As you have mentioned it, legally I have to say that the licence requires the physical presence of the CD in the local drive... legally speaking, VirtualCD use is not permitted by the licence, and can be (and sometimes is) picked up by anyone checking compliance. I can see from what you describe your schools are abiding by the spirit of the licence. Glad I'm not a lawyer as tech support is far more fun!

Anyhow - ready to go off and celebrate the new year. Hope 2012 is better for all of us than many of the papers are saying.

22. Thanks to mr_wordshark from:

synaesthesia (1st January 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread