+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, RM Community Connect 2.4 in Technical; Anyone remember the old RM CC2 software ? back in the days of Windows 98 and NT 4 / 2000 ...
    Thank Post

RM Community Connect 2.4

Anyone remember the old RM CC2 software ? back in the days of Windows 98 and NT 4 / 2000 Pro Server. I was just reading some threads about CC3 & 4 on here and it brought back some memories of when I used to manage the old 2.4 network in A school, I remember the old Novell SafetyNet plus Filtering server which gave us endless amounts of fun!, I also remember the bug in Windows 98 SE where student profiles would corrupt and students would have system wide access - we only found out because everyone had changed the wallpapers and mouse pointer settings etc etc, then we finally upgraded 2 of our NT 4 Servers (we had 4) to 2000 Pro and having USB Support then was great!!!!

Although we did have problems it was never anything major and everything just worked, those were the good old days

Except when A new PC came in and it needed re-imaging - sat there with A windows 98 se disk because our images wouldn't work because it was different hardware, I remember upgrading all the desktops from Intel P3 333Mhz with 128 RAM to P3 933's with 256 & 512 RAM and 10 Gig hard drives and we all said wowwwwwwwww it was great!

I think also back then it was all 3Com switches, they were really reliable and never went down they were great!

Just a bit of reminiscing there
    Last edited by cpjitservices; 31st August 2011 at 02:58 PM.

Thank Post
    No it's . . . I'm . . . . fine . . . . it's . . . . I've just got a bit of grit in my eye . . . [sniff]

3. Thanks to theriver from:

cpjitservices (31st August 2011)

Thank Post
    Cut my teeth here on 2.4. With various custom made apps, reg hacking and a bit of violence we managed to make the system all but sit up and beg. Was a bit sad to get rid of it, especially when you realise you have to start all over again with the tinkering.

5. Thanks to TechMonkey from:

cpjitservices (31st August 2011)

Thank Post
    I can remember running Net LM on the OS2 Warp server, before we migrated all the dumb terminals onto Connect 2.2 with NT4. Ah those were the days in '97with 99% of the network still running on BNC and some annoying kids thinking it's fun to remove the terminator.

Hopefully this time next year, my last CC3 station will have been replaced by vanilla Windows 7 (or 8)

Thank Post
    I still have RM Connect 2.4 discs at home, might try and virtrualise an NT 4 Server box and install.

As much as i dislike RM, the 2.4 product i feel actually did a good job of Managing 9x stations, as all the MS tools were more geared to clients running NT Workstation not Windows 95/98. I like RM Topic Manager....RM CC3 onwards is where i started to dislike RM.

My last year at high school they installed RM Connect 2.2 (The one that ran NT 3.51 Server), Windows 95 clients. Was not allowed to use the network though, head of IT said i was a "threat" and not allowed to use a networked machine. Not my fault you leave the Admin2 password as changeme!

Thank Post
    lol yes I remember all those default passwords the favourite at my school was "propagate" with password "RM", we had a couple win 95 machines on the network but they were awful and mostly just ran success maker, RM Topic Selector was good I remember that too, we had 2.3 from the start and upgraded to 2.4 and ran it for a long time.

Thank Post
    Thought the password to Propagate was application ? There was the replicator account that had write access to the WINNT folder on the server, was handy too.

Thank Post
    ahhhh actually yes you are right it was application lol, RM User Manager was quite god too might I add

Thank Post
    Ahh the good old days when there was no such thing as the school network manager and there was no such thing as security in windows but there was such a thing as money

RM Connect 2.x was brilliant. Anyone remember RM File Protector? Like Faronics DeepFreeze only 15 years ahead of the game. Connect 2 was crammed full of innovative RM software the likes of which simply didnt exist anywhere else.

What you have to remember is there was no file permissions or any security features whatsoever built into 95 and precious llittle management tools built into NT3.5 / NT4. RM Connect 2 allowed networks in schools to be secure and to be maintained and managed and all by someone that was not an ub3r geek.

All gone downhill since 1996 mind

Butuz

Thank Post
    yep I completely agree and yes I remember that green or red in some cases blob on the taskbar which was RM File Protector!! It was a great tool,. One of the biggest holes in 2.x was that you could open a word document on a locked down standard pupil user account and type \\server1 and bang you had access - you couldnt do alot but nethertheless not a good thing to have on your network and weirdly enough I've seen this on some CC3 Networks!!

Other than that though the network was reliable and secure! things were much simpler back then.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Boredguy View Post
    I can remember running Net LM on the OS2 Warp server, before we migrated all the dumb terminals onto Connect 2.2 with NT4. Ah those were the days in '97with 99% of the network still running on BNC and some annoying kids thinking it's fun to remove the terminator.

Hopefully this time next year, my last CC3 station will have been replaced by vanilla Windows 7 (or 8)
    Haha, yes, but I go back to RM Net 3.1 ... missed out Net LM altogether and went straight to Connect 2.0. All running on thin ethernet with the 4 port card in the back of the server and repeaters all over the school. Our head of IT was none to keen on that new fangled CAT5 stuff.

Hopefully this time next week, my last CC3 station will be replaced by a CC4 one. (Yeah, right, dream on Steve).

Thank Post
    lol hmmmmmm I remember when I first started at my old school we did have BNC everywhere, I remember ripping all the wiring and the devices out - we didnt have to replace the NIC's on the PC's as we got new PC's in about 3 days after so we went straight onto CAT5, in the servers we just added new NIC's although I remember our NT 4 servers did not like the 3com 965BC NIC's we wacked into them but eventually we got it all up & running and putting the switches was great - first time I'd ever done it! it was all 3com kit and I believe it was all un-managed, putting all the new Ethernet modules in the trunking in the computer rooms was great fun - saw hands after it all though!

Up until 2 years ago I had what I called the RM "Robot Wars" Server at home from the old network, I was using it for tape backup but running on a linux system, there wasnt much else to do with it considering it was a P2 266, thats long gone now but the case was awesome it had wheels and everything - you may know which type I mean, it even had two opening flaps on the front of the case one for the hard drives where fans where and the other was for the cd and floppy drives.

I haven't had any experience with CC4, I have got quite a bit with CC3 though which is what alot of places round here are still running.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    Up until 2 years ago I had what I called the RM "Robot Wars" Server at home from the old network, I was using it for tape backup but running on a linux system, there wasnt much else to do with it considering it was a P2 266, thats long gone now but the case was awesome it had wheels and everything - you may know which type I mean, it even had two opening flaps on the front of the case one for the hard drives where fans where and the other was for the cd and floppy drives.
    Aah, yes, the old hostess trolley servers. Great bits of kit. One of ours (the PDC) would only do a hard reboot if it was dropped onto the floor from a hieght of about 2-3 inches, otherwise it flatly refused to start up, RM had to take it in and dismantle it in the end to find the fault. It turned out to be a bad earth to the board but despite needing some drastic GBH to get it going it ran and ran ... can't see too many of todays servers putting up with that sort of treatment.

16. Thanks to HarryMonkey from:

cpjitservices (1st September 2011)

Thank Post
    nah course they wouldnt but these were the days when servers wern't rack mounted nearly all of our RM servers where under the desk in the our Admin Office, along with Robot Server (our BDC I think), I remembr our PDC being in a Tower Case, we also had some of the Open Front BX Series Servers they were good too and coulod take one hell of a beating but they ran and ran and ran and ran and ran, the school has since been demolished, if it hadnt i bet those servers would still be there serving something!!!

Now I come to think of it hostess trolley is exactly fitting the description of those old servers!!

Thank Post
    One thing I could never get working was the pic on the old 2.4 logon screen, you could change it but for some reason when I'd changed it 3 or 4 PC's would display the custom image but not all of them, it was a picture of 3 PC's IIRC, tried to put the school logo but it never worked, i remember getting a blank box once or twice then had to re-image the machine.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast