+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Microsoft Free Software - packages on RM networks in Technical; I'm at the Microsoft Partners in Learning Summer Camp for the next 2 days and whilst the conversation is about ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries

Microsoft Free Software - packages on RM networks

I'm at the Microsoft Partners in Learning Summer Camp for the next 2 days and whilst the conversation is about the educational use of software there are always going to be some technical questions.

One of the things that has been mentioned is the difficulty in some networks to get some of the free software / add-ons installed.

It seems that on some networks, particularly RM, the existing packages for some software will not go on the network and RM don't support it as the software is unsupported from MS (free stuff from MS Labs).

If I put up a suggested list of the free software we are looking at using (or people mention a problem with) could members mention if they do have them installed and if on an RM network (or other sort of middleware.

I know there are some existing threads but I thought it would be nice to collate it together.

Software

Deep Zoom
    Microsoft Mouse Mischief
    Photosynth
    Movie-Maker (Original)
    Movie-Maker (Windows Live)
    Photostory 3
    Windows Live (tools such as LiveWriter, etc)
    Kodu
    Songsmith
    Office Add-ins
    Live Photogallery

I'll put some more programs up as I get them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,743 Times in 2,317 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Looks like this stuff in case anyone needs further background or justification on them, I get and sent around this brocure a while back but never posted it as I thought it was probably public already:Microsoft Learning Suite To Customer Brochure FINAL.pdf

3. Thanks to SYNACK from:

GrumbleDook (23rd August 2011)

Thank Post
    We've used Movie Maker (Original), Movie Maker (Windows Live) and Photostory 3 on an RM network.

The original Movie Maker is included with XP so there was no problems there. RM provide a package for Windows Live Movie Maker 2011 that you run on the server and it dumps the client packages in the relevant places so you can allocate out to workstations. RM also provide details for creating a package for Photostory 3 using a blueprint. It works fine on XP clients, I've not tried on Windows 7 yet.

5. Thanks to Chris_ from:

GrumbleDook (23rd August 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    perhaps you could suggest to MS that they re-write it into a SCORM format using existing web standards such as HTML5.
    That would allow it to install and run on ANY network.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Most of what I have put above are not suitable for SCORM. They do a number of web based tools (eg Photosynth but that needs regular Silverlight updates, which is why I included it) but some are client based on a local device.

Rather than asking MS to do complete rebuilds (and they do get asked to make changes) I am purely looking at examples of how people have deployed them.

8. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

TheScarfedOne (23rd August 2011)

Thank Post
    Based on an onipotent view of quite a few CCx sites:

Deep Zoom - nowhere. AIUI it's a Silverlight tech not an app. Should this be Deep Zoom Composer or something else?
    Microsoft Mouse Mischief - nowhere. This is a powerpoint add-in, but appear to need 2K7+ whereas O2K3 is still the majority here.
    Photosynth - nowhere.
    Movie Maker XP - everywhere (as above it's just a shortcut). County Primary ICT advisors like this in primary.
    Live Movie Maker - a small handful.
    Photo Story 3 - everywhere. County Primary...
    Kodu - one secondary.
    Songsmith - a small handful.
    AutoCollage - a small handful.
    Live @ Edu - lots
    Live [anything else] - nowhere.

Much as I love to hate them, the idea that RM don't help because it's free/unsupported/whatever. does NOT chime. They do make "blueprints" which are fundamentally video instructions plus some WIX- based tech that help idiots turn apps into MSIs with the requisite RM package wrapping. There are RM blueprints for MS Photo Story, Scratch, VLC, 7-Zip, Paint.Net plus a few hundred assorted other things. If there's an MSI that in the worst case can be edited/transformed so it doesn't prompt for serials/registration, or if there's an EXE installer that does silent, then there shouldn't be any noteworthy problems for making deployment packages on any Windows system including CCx... well provided it uses profiles properly, you can stop self-updating mechanisms, doesn't keep data in silly places, the usual stuff.

Likely won't help with the schmoozing but: Despite the loving marketing, those MS education friendly app docs always strike me as being a bit desperate. The apps rarely seem that significant/valuable, especially compared to some of the other free stuff. With this in mind I've never figured out what prompts RM to make a blueprint, but it probably involves sufficient demand from customers somewhere.

10. Thanks to PiqueABoo from:

GrumbleDook (24th August 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi Grumbledook.

Another one to add maybe: Microsoft ICE (Image Composite Editor)

Could you also mention that the Songsmith & Photostory 3 msi's will not install on a Windows Multipoint Server?

Thanks, Ben

12. Thanks to Mr.Ben from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_ View Post
    We've used Movie Maker (Original), Movie Maker (Windows Live) and Photostory 3 on an RM network.

The original Movie Maker is included with XP so there was no problems there. RM provide a package for Windows Live Movie Maker 2011 that you run on the server and it dumps the client packages in the relevant places so you can allocate out to workstations. RM also provide details for creating a package for Photostory 3 using a blueprint. It works fine on XP clients, I've not tried on Windows 7 yet.
    Do you have the item numbers for Movie Maker 2011 from RM?

Gareth

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Apologies ... I did indeed mean Deep Zoom Composer.

With the office add-ins I have had specific requests about PPT Flex and Community Clips, and another experience of deploying Microsoft ICE (Image Composite Editor) also appreciated.

@MrBen

Interesting to here about the problems on Multipoint Server.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,743 Times in 2,317 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    @MrBen

Interesting to here about the problems on Multipoint Server.
    Its to do with the required OS tag in the MSI, as Multipoint is just 2008r2 server with a fancy overlay it shows up as server. You can just edit the MSI with Orca to change the compatible OS bit which should get around it but I have never had the time to actually do it.

16. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have tried it - but both still do not want to install. I shall do some more investigation, but I do feel as if they should work 'out of the box'.

@GrumbleDook - Multipoint is proving rather interesting in our staff workroom (running 4 sessions). It's a great product and I will be putting some classroom installations in when I have next years budget!

Ben
    Last edited by Mr.Ben; 24th August 2011 at 09:13 PM.

18. Thanks to Mr.Ben from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread