+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33
Educational Software Thread, Avoid Sibelius Upgrade rip off in Technical; Is the right or is this wrong got the latest vertion of Sibelius in July v6 just to find out ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wakefield
    Posts
    45
    Thank Post
    12
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    0

    Avoid Sibelius Upgrade rip off

    Is the right or is this wrong got the latest vertion of Sibelius in July v6 just to find out that in August v7 comes out. So i ask if I can have a upgrade free to 7 seen as just got 6 and not even been used it the school as its the summer. what was I told basicly no pay out another 1000 like I did in July to get the latest. How bad is that?

  2. #2
    mb2k01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,126
    Thank Post
    189
    Thanked 227 Times in 193 Posts
    Rep Power
    92
    To be fair, did you ask or research when it would be out before purchasing? If you had, it might have been prudent to wait.
    A decent license company would normally let you know this kind of detail too - might be worth taking up with them... although if you didn't ask, they wouldn't be obliged to do anything about it.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wakefield
    Posts
    45
    Thank Post
    12
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    0
    Got straight from Sibelius them selves. yes did research and there was nothing they do not give out this info untill it is out.

  4. #4

    john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,498
    Thank Post
    1,488
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    Rep Power
    301
    I must admit I don't agree with Avid's upgrade policy at all, they won't supply the old version now, but I may need some extra seats later on this term but I cannot get them anymore and I cannot run a mixed system, thus I'm going to have to upgrade the entire site again, only 12 months after we just did that!

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    914
    Thank Post
    98
    Thanked 184 Times in 159 Posts
    Rep Power
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    I must admit I don't agree with Avid's upgrade policy at all, they won't supply the old version now, but I may need some extra seats later on this term but I cannot get them anymore and I cannot run a mixed system, thus I'm going to have to upgrade the entire site again, only 12 months after we just did that!
    That's strange, I spoke to them this week about upgrading or buying extra seats for our older version an they said I would have to buy the latest version license but they wouldn't mind making this active for a previous version.......

  6. #6

    nephilim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dunstable
    Posts
    11,659
    Thank Post
    1,612
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,382 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    400
    They've always said to me its a full upgrade as the licences won't be backwards compatible with previous versions.

    So in the end we stopped upgrading. The school has been on v5 for a while now.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    914
    Thank Post
    98
    Thanked 184 Times in 159 Posts
    Rep Power
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    They've always said to me its a full upgrade as the licences won't be backwards compatible with previous versions.

    So in the end we stopped upgrading. The school has been on v5 for a while now.
    We have v5 and need either 1 extra license or to upgrade all our licenses to v7. Tech support said if I purchased 1x v7 license they would make it activate a v5 if I wanted. Perhaps worth speaking to tech support not sales? I found through the week that tech support were more helpfuland friendly than sales

  8. #8
    mounters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    199
    Thank Post
    22
    Thanked 70 Times in 59 Posts
    Rep Power
    28
    Had major rage with Sibelius recently as they put through my upgrade order from V4 to V6 on the same day that they released V7 having sat on the order for 2 days. I contacted Sibelius about this and ended up in an email conversation with the Sibelius 7 product manager and he told me that it is company policy to not announce upgrades and that I would have to purchase a further upgrade to V7 I pushed this and explained the timeline of my order and that the company didn't need to process it on the release day. The end result was that he arranged a cancellation of my original order and replaced it with a V7 upgrade. So I got the result I wanted but I'm certainly not impressed with the company and think that alternatives will be looked at in the future.

  9. #9

    nephilim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dunstable
    Posts
    11,659
    Thank Post
    1,612
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,382 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    400
    The reason they dont announce upgrades is that they wait for loads of orders to upgrade to the v6 then announce the v7 release, same again, wait for loads to upgrade to v7 then BAM v8 comes out.

  10. #10
    NikChillin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    on the sofa
    Posts
    925
    Thank Post
    59
    Thanked 122 Times in 86 Posts
    Rep Power
    85
    We've not bothered to upgrade either, still using version 5.

  11. #11

    garethedmondson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Gowerton, Swansea
    Posts
    2,258
    Thank Post
    962
    Thanked 324 Times in 192 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    Rep Power
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by NikChillin View Post
    We've not bothered to upgrade either, still using version 5.
    As users what can we do about this? I received Sib 7 today from them - no MSI. Can you believe it? No damn MSI for the network version. Just a command line. Luckily Impero will sort this for us and we can send it out. But why no MSI? Thanks.

    As for their upgrade policy - give Anne Robinson a ring. I'm tempted.

    GJE

  12. #12

    nephilim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dunstable
    Posts
    11,659
    Thank Post
    1,612
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,382 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    400
    I am exceedingly frustrated with them at my new place...got it for Mac OSX Lion and it runs on 6.2 (no issue there), but the serial keys they are providing don't want to work for it, saying that they are invalid. We have like 2 days left before the trial edition expires and they are no help at all! Spent 53 minutes on the phone on hold, and then they answer and hang up...massively annoyed!

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    810
    Thank Post
    98
    Thanked 64 Times in 46 Posts
    Rep Power
    25
    We purchased and upgrade to v6 and then guess what v7 came out !!!!!

    Our music teacher said this also happened at her last school from V5->V6

    Well, anyhow we purchased through Ramesys and after a long battle they managed to get Avid to upgrade our key. We had to pay an extra 3.40 per license and also purchase a media pack.

    Good luck!

  14. #14

    3s-gtech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    2,695
    Thank Post
    143
    Thanked 542 Times in 486 Posts
    Rep Power
    148
    Same experiences with it. Running v5 on Windows 7 x64 which I'm not sure is supported, but it seems to work. The teacher PC in this room has v6, and now v7 too. I wouldn't spend another penny with them if I can help it; their software is obtuse, system heavy and ridiculously expensive. Pro Tools is looking far more appealing (yes I know that's Avid too!)

  15. #15
    morganw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    816
    Thank Post
    46
    Thanked 132 Times in 126 Posts
    Rep Power
    39
    I bought 5 upgrade licenses for the network activation version last year, got a price from them and placed an order. I then had someone else trying to convince me that the minimum purchase amount had to be 10 licenses and I couldn't buy 5. I didn't do anything as the purchase order had already been sent, the original order was processed and the license server works fine with a 5 licence key.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Sims support rip off!
    By chrisjako in forum Budgets and Expenditure
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 3rd February 2010, 06:30 AM
  2. Capita Rip-Off Not Happy
    By DaveIW in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st February 2010, 07:09 PM
  3. Restricting 'Rip' from Windows Media Player
    By KarlGoddard in forum Windows
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12th August 2007, 05:05 PM
  4. Rm Smartcache 2 - Upgrade Problem
    By russdev in forum Windows
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 25th August 2005, 07:33 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •