+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Avoid Sibelius Upgrade rip off in Technical; Is the right or is this wrong got the latest vertion of Sibelius in July v6 just to find out ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Avoid Sibelius Upgrade rip off

Is the right or is this wrong got the latest vertion of Sibelius in July v6 just to find out that in August v7 comes out. So i ask if I can have a upgrade free to 7 seen as just got 6 and not even been used it the school as its the summer. what was I told basicly no pay out another 1000 like I did in July to get the latest. How bad is that?

Thank Post
    To be fair, did you ask or research when it would be out before purchasing? If you had, it might have been prudent to wait.
    A decent license company would normally let you know this kind of detail too - might be worth taking up with them... although if you didn't ask, they wouldn't be obliged to do anything about it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Got straight from Sibelius them selves. yes did research and there was nothing they do not give out this info untill it is out.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    I must admit I don't agree with Avid's upgrade policy at all, they won't supply the old version now, but I may need some extra seats later on this term but I cannot get them anymore and I cannot run a mixed system, thus I'm going to have to upgrade the entire site again, only 12 months after we just did that!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    I must admit I don't agree with Avid's upgrade policy at all, they won't supply the old version now, but I may need some extra seats later on this term but I cannot get them anymore and I cannot run a mixed system, thus I'm going to have to upgrade the entire site again, only 12 months after we just did that!
    That's strange, I spoke to them this week about upgrading or buying extra seats for our older version an they said I would have to buy the latest version license but they wouldn't mind making this active for a previous version.......

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,382 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They've always said to me its a full upgrade as the licences won't be backwards compatible with previous versions.

So in the end we stopped upgrading. The school has been on v5 for a while now.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    They've always said to me its a full upgrade as the licences won't be backwards compatible with previous versions.

So in the end we stopped upgrading. The school has been on v5 for a while now.
    We have v5 and need either 1 extra license or to upgrade all our licenses to v7. Tech support said if I purchased 1x v7 license they would make it activate a v5 if I wanted. Perhaps worth speaking to tech support not sales? I found through the week that tech support were more helpfuland friendly than sales

Thank Post
    Had major rage with Sibelius recently as they put through my upgrade order from V4 to V6 on the same day that they released V7 having sat on the order for 2 days. I contacted Sibelius about this and ended up in an email conversation with the Sibelius 7 product manager and he told me that it is company policy to not announce upgrades and that I would have to purchase a further upgrade to V7 I pushed this and explained the timeline of my order and that the company didn't need to process it on the release day. The end result was that he arranged a cancellation of my original order and replaced it with a V7 upgrade. So I got the result I wanted but I'm certainly not impressed with the company and think that alternatives will be looked at in the future.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The reason they dont announce upgrades is that they wait for loads of orders to upgrade to the v6 then announce the v7 release, same again, wait for loads to upgrade to v7 then BAM v8 comes out.

Thank Post
    We've not bothered to upgrade either, still using version 5.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NikChillin View Post
    We've not bothered to upgrade either, still using version 5.
    As users what can we do about this? I received Sib 7 today from them - no MSI. Can you believe it? No damn MSI for the network version. Just a command line. Luckily Impero will sort this for us and we can send it out. But why no MSI? Thanks.

As for their upgrade policy - give Anne Robinson a ring. I'm tempted.

GJE

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I am exceedingly frustrated with them at my new place...got it for Mac OSX Lion and it runs on 6.2 (no issue there), but the serial keys they are providing don't want to work for it, saying that they are invalid. We have like 2 days left before the trial edition expires and they are no help at all! Spent 53 minutes on the phone on hold, and then they answer and hang up...massively annoyed!

Thank Post
    We purchased and upgrade to v6 and then guess what v7 came out !!!!!

Our music teacher said this also happened at her last school from V5->V6

Well, anyhow we purchased through Ramesys and after a long battle they managed to get Avid to upgrade our key. We had to pay an extra 3.40 per license and also purchase a media pack.

Good luck!

Thank Post
    Same experiences with it. Running v5 on Windows 7 x64 which I'm not sure is supported, but it seems to work. The teacher PC in this room has v6, and now v7 too. I wouldn't spend another penny with them if I can help it; their software is obtuse, system heavy and ridiculously expensive. Pro Tools is looking far more appealing (yes I know that's Avid too!)

Thank Post
    I bought 5 upgrade licenses for the network activation version last year, got a price from them and placed an order. I then had someone else trying to convince me that the minimum purchase amount had to be 10 licenses and I couldn't buy 5. I didn't do anything as the purchase order had already been sent, the original order was processed and the license server works fine with a 5 licence key.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast