+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Avoid Sibelius Upgrade rip off in Technical; Just bought 21 copies of Version 7. Wasn't that expensive to be honest because we are upgrading from version 4....
    zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just bought 21 copies of Version 7. Wasn't that expensive to be honest because we are upgrading from version 4.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just to let people know - don't use the version 7 on the DVD - download the 702b8 update from their website and use that to install. A lot faster.

Gareth

3. 2 Thanks to garethedmondson:

3s-gtech (6th October 2011), burgemaster (6th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garethedmondson View Post
    Just to let people know - don't use the version 7 on the DVD - download the 702b8 update from their website and use that to install. A lot faster.

Gareth
    I doubt you can but do you know if you can use the command switches with this one large EXE ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by burgemaster View Post
    I doubt you can but do you know if you can use the command switches with this one large EXE ?
    Well believe it or not you can indeed. On the DVD in the Sibelius directory there is a file called Sibelius7installer.exe and you install that silently with the command:

<servername>\Sibelius\Sibelius7Installer.exe /SERIAL=<enter your serial> LSINFO=<enter your licence server info> /SILENT

We downloaded the Sibelius702b8 Full Installer from the website and dropped it into the same directory. The command then changed to:

<servername>\Sibelius\Sibelius702b8.exe /SERIAL=<enter your serial> LSINFO=<enter your licence server info> /SILENT

It then installed fine. However if you have already installed the first version I advise you take if off before putting on the new version. If you cannot be bothered to do this there is a second download file which you can install over the original which will upgrade. For new machines without Sibelius I would follow the first method.

Gareth

6. Thanks to garethedmondson from:

Netman (6th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Just testing with the new installer on my machine...

Using a batch script with:
    \\server\msi_installs\Sibelius_7\Installer\Sibeliu s702b8.exe /SERIAL=SCMM 123 456 789 101112 LSINFO=MUSICPC-01:7314 /SILENT
    or
    \\server\msi_installs\Sibelius_7\Installer\Sibeliu s702b8.exe /SERIAL=SCMM123456789101112 LSINFO=MUSICPC-01:7314 /SILENT

doesn't seem to populate the reg key:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Avid\Sibelius 7\SerialNumber]

Could I please ask what format you entered your key please?
    Thanks in advance

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Are you entering a network license key? I'm not sure how the keys work - but I guarantee the one above that I used worked fine.

Gareth

Thank Post
    Yeah its a network key we purchased, but could possibly be a dual key? As when I open Sib, it asks for the key to be entered and then asks whether this is standalone or network install.

Ive spent enough time on this now lol, I will enter the key manually, ive only got 17 machines in that room so its not too bad!
    Thanks for all the help.

Cheers
    Tim

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    On your test machine at the RUn command enter the command again but put it in "" so it looks like this (also there is a space in your path).

"\\server\msi_installs\Sibelius_7\Installer\Sibeliu s702b8.exe /SERIAL=SCMM123456789101112 /LSINFO=MUSICPC-01:7314 /SILENT"

YOu also forgot the slash / before the LSINFO

[For some reason the forum is putting a space in the Sibelius702b8.exe title]

Gareth

Thank Post
    Thanks for that.... I have just tested in our music room and found out that Sib 7 is windows 7 minimum !! lol
    oh well, back to 6.2
    Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by burgemaster View Post
    Thanks for that.... I have just tested in our music room and found out that Sib 7 is windows 7 minimum !! lol
    oh well, back to 6.2
    Thanks
    Not entirely true. Taken from the Sib website:

Windows: Windows Vista SP2 with the Platform Update Pack or later, Windows 7 SP1 or later, 1 GB+ RAM, 750 MB hard disk space, DVD-ROM drive
    If you want to install the huge sound library then this is what they say:

Windows: Intel Core 2 Duo (or equivalent) or better, 4 GB+ total physical RAM, 40 GB total hard disk space (7200 rpm or faster drive recommended; SSD preferable), ASIO-compatible soundcard
    You can use it on lesser hardware but....

* You can use Sibelius 7 Sounds if your computer doesn't meet the recommended requirements, but you may find that you cannot use as many sounds simultaneously, and that sounds take a long time to load.

So you can use Vista.

Gareth

Thank Post
    Thanks,
    But I ran the installer EXE and got a "Win NT 6.0 Service Pack 2" required popup???
    Or are you saying that I can use the Sib 7 sound library with 6.2 ?

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Darn! we run xp also for students.

Oops didnt check that. grrrr

Can you downgrade to 6.2?
    Last edited by vikpaw; 8th October 2011 at 10:07 AM. Reason: LANGUAGE!

Thank Post
    Just bought some machines for Music that hit the recommended specs for Sibelius 7, with Windows 7 x64, so that's lucky. Thanks for all the info Gareth.

Thank Post
    just to clarify also - get the server installed and working first, register it all with sibelius then get the clients installed using the 70b8 updated installation file as @garethedmondson pointed out, we were seeing very large load times on our older hardware with the supplied client, its the same key for both network server and client also.

17. Thanks to rich_tech from:

garethedmondson (13th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_tech View Post
    just to clarify also - get the server installed and working first, register it all with sibelius then get the clients installed using the 70b8 updated installation file as @garethedmondson pointed out, we were seeing very large load times on our older hardware with the supplied client, its the same key for both network server and client also.
    More news on the Sibelius front this week. @rich_tech has been working on it all week and we have decided it is a stupid program LOL. We have been forced to upgrade due to us moving to Windows 7 and now it looks as if we will be forced to upgrade the machines to 4Gb each (they are currently 2Gb) - just to play any of the high quality sounds that appear on the 3 DVDs that arrive with the package. The DVD's unpack to the 36Gb worth of sound files - it takes ages even when installing from a network store.

In addition there is a new update out there. It works, but once you have installed it the update will not play the new sounds. So Sibelius have released a further update which you add on after you have installed the sounds. This corrects the issue and the sounds play. - Or will they...

If you only have 2Gb and a large orcherstral piece only some of the sounds will load in. The rest will play through MIDI - creating an awful sound.

I'm not amused with what Sib' have done. The software is now bloated and a nightmare to deploy (no MSI).

Rant over.

Gareth

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast