+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Smart Notebook 10.7 in Technical; Has anyone else noticed a problem with creating a Smart Notebook 10.7 package on CC4? Our problem is that no ...
    Thank Post

Smart Notebook 10.7

Has anyone else noticed a problem with creating a Smart Notebook 10.7 package on CC4?

Our problem is that no Gallery Content is getting installed onto the machine but the notebook program installs fine. My content is stored on our Public drive where everyone has access.
    In the in Smart Install Manager I have configured “Install the Gallery to each computer.” using a UNC path to the share.
    I’ve compared the new .mst with the old and there is no difference between the two files. I can deploy the older package and that installs with the Gallery (connecting to the same share).

I know that the .MST is working because all other configurable settings are getting applied.

Now when I logon as an admin using the command prompt:
    "C:\Smart\SMART Notebook.msi" Transforms=Notebook.mst /q

This works fine and installed the Gallery Content. This to me indicates that it’s a permission problem. Despite giving Everyone – Read Access.

I’ve basically done exactly what I did last time to create the 10.6 package but I’m having no joy with the new.

I feel that it would be an RM problem but have no logs/errors to prove this, if anyone else can show any light on this subject it would be much appreciated, or even if you could try making a new package for 10.7 and let me know your results?

Regards
    Matt Gibson

The Process

1. Tried updating file set of existing package in RMMC (CC4)
    2. Downloaded new packages and created .MST using the Smart Install Manager.
    3. Created an .ini file for import into RMMC
    [Package]
    WIPackage=SMART Notebook.msi
    WITransform=Notebook.mst
    Description=SMART Notebook Software 107
    OS=5.WS,6.WS

Thank Post
    Seem to be having the same issue on CC3 will confirm shortly.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nicklec View Post
    Seem to be having the same issue on CC3 will confirm shortly.
    Glad I'm not the only one, I'm currently going through the motions with SMART Tech Support, So I'll let you know the outcome.

Of course give me a shout if you find a solution...

Thank Post
    Had 5/6 machines that I applied as a small test group not install the gallery so not sure what is going on, i've re-created the .mst with a simple \\SERVER\share path for gallery files (share contains "SMART Essentials for Educators" and "Lesson Activity Toolkit" folders) and it is installing and removing the gallery perfectly now on my test machine!

I'm going to re-apply this package to one of the machines that seemed to miss the gallery previously and see what happens, doesn't seem to be any pattern to this...

Thank Post
    Gallery didn't install on this machine, this is frustrating!

*edit Before was an attempt at a 'reinstall' which presumably quits before the gallery section or something - removing the package entirely and then installing again has worked. I will try the other 5 of these tomorrow morning to see if I encounter anymore inconsistency.
    Last edited by nicklec; 15th June 2011 at 03:09 PM.

Thank Post
    This is rather odd - I re-created our gallery share unzipping the galleries on the server itself (had previously put files on with a mac, sometimes inserts metadata that confuses windows) and re-created the .mst file and my package has just installed on 3 machines just fine with both galleries as well. Hopefully pending no minor distasters (had a frozen DC this morning) I will try updating some machines from smart 10.something to 10.7 and see if the installation is still consistent.

Thank Post
    Hello I am also having the same problem with getting the galleries to work with Smartboard 10.7 on CC4 network

Thank Post
    Well I'm stumped, my package seems to be consistently installing since I re-created the .mst; I ended up leaving the gallery install location as default (my old 10.0 package had a custom location) so not sure if this is related. I have noticed one older machine failed to install the gallery but that could be down to diskspace!

Thank Post
    Hi Matt Just wondering if you made any progress with getting the gallaries to work with Smartboard 10.7?

Thank Post
    Hi Guys,

I've had a reply from SMART after a few lengthy conversations here's the reply i've been sent. I've note had time to try as of yet but feel free to let me know your results.
    Hi Matt,

We've combed through the logs you've provided to us and everything seems to check out fine.

Because of this, we think there might be an issue with the installation software itself, but to completely isolate it, we'd like for you to try running a completely different command line application to install the gallery.

If you are able to add additional commands, we'd like for you to try running the gallery setup in command line form to see if it installs the gallery correctly (the Notebook Installation process runs this as well, but we want to see if manually triggering it makes a difference).

Assuming that you've left the install locations as the default, the command you'll need to use is

“C:\Program Files\Common Files\SMART Technologies\SMART Product Update\Gallery Setup.exe” --installall --source “\\eehs-sr-001\RMPublic\SMART\GalleryContent\SMART Essentials for Educators\Gallery Data Files” --configuration “C:\Program Files\Common Files\SMART Technologies\SMART Product Update\SMARTEssentials.gallerycollection”

“C:\Program Files\Common Files\SMART Technologies\SMART Product Update\Gallery Setup.exe” --installall --source “\\eehs-sr-001\RMPublic\SMART\GalleryContent\Lesson Activity Toolkit 1.0\Gallery Data Files” --configuration “C:\Program Files\Common Files\SMART Technologies\SMART Product Update\Lesson Activity Toolkit.gallerycollection”

Either run that as a script after you've installed Notebook, or include it in your installation package to be run after Notebook Software is installed. From there, we should be able to figure out what's going on with the gallery installation on your computers.

Additionally for your reference, we do have a new version of the software coming out at the end of July/early August. If you wish, we could also try waiting for that release and deploying that to see if problems persist with that version.

Please give the above command a try, and let us know what results come from this.

Thank Post
    Ok Matt thanks for the info i will give it a try next time im at that school and will let you know

Regards

Thank Post
    I was having the same problem, however I'm deploying via GPO. I'll second nicklec's guess that a custom location was the problem. I had been using a custom location for the "Install Gallery Content" option in the SMART Install Manager. After creating and publishing a new .mst, leaving that field blank to accept the default location, I was able to successfully deploy the Gallery and Lesson Activity Toolkit.

Thank Post
    Hi

I hold the gallery on the server and set it with the following reg key
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SMART Technologies Inc.\Gallery\TeamContent\gallery.smarttech.com]
    "ImsManifestXml"="\\serverlocation\SMART Essentials for Educators\imsmanifest.xml"

Thank Post

Cool SMART Notebook Gallery 10.7, 10.8, 11 (2012)

Hello Everyone,

I know this is an old post I started last year however I’ve not had much time to look into this due to other commitments. So….. a year later I decided to re-package this in the hope that it was going to install without any problems. I followed the same procedure as I did when I started the post however again I could not get the Gallery to install!

Tried deploying using the Microsoft way (GPO) and everything was working fine, Gallery installed without any problems.

So my solution for CC3/CC4 network is turn off the gallery install using the SMART Install Manager and create two separate packages.

Package One: SMART Lesson Activity Toolkit

[Package]
    Description=SMART Lesson Activity Toolkit (Local)
    Version=1.0.0.0
    OS=5.WS
    ExeFile=C:\Program Files\Common Files\SMART Technologies\SMART Product Update\Gallery Setup.exe
    AddCommand=--installall --remote --source “\\SERVER\Smartdeployment$” --configuration “\\SERVER\smartdeployment$\Lesson Activity Toolkit\Lesson Activity Toolkit.gallerycollection”

Package Two: SMART Essentials for Educators

[Package]
    Description=SMART Essentials for Educators (Local)
    Version=1.0.0.0
    OS=5.WS
    ExeFile=C:\Program Files\Common Files\SMART Technologies\SMART Product Update\Gallery Setup.exe
    AddCommand=--installall --source “\\SERVER\smartdeployment$\SMART Essentials for Educators\Gallery Data Files” --configuration “\\SERVER\smartdeployment$\SMART Essentials for Educators\SMARTEssentials.gallerycollection”

NOTE: Make sure you set the above to the dependency of you initial SMART Notebook Package otherwise it’ll just fail as it won’t be able to find the Gallery Setup.exe.

I hope this helps out anyone that’s had the same issue as me.

Regards
    Matt

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread