+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Educational Software Thread, does anyone have Game Maker 8.1 in msi format? in Technical; oh.. oh god I've been asked to install this for a student. The posts above don't fill me with happyness...
    Thank Post
    oh.. oh god I've been asked to install this for a student. The posts above don't fill me with happyness

Thank Post
    I've heard nothing back from exam board tech people. that was 09/05/2011. i dont expect to know.

Thank Post
    One of ICT teachers went on a course and wanted GM 8.1 installing, after much fustration, it worked for the teachers and not for the pupils I logged a call with YoYo Games and got the following reply:

| Hi Paul
    |
    | Thanks for getting in touch. This is a common problem with Lite on a network.
    |
    | For classroom use, the full version (not Lite) can be installed using an MSI. The version we provide for personal use by the students at home or outside of class on their own machines does NOT work with an MSI and must be installed on each PC as it uses a secure DRM that needs to be authenticated to the hardware. GM81 Education - YoYoGames Wiki
    `---

So the teacher is now going off to price the full version.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thread Resurrection Time!

Stupid question probably; but how am I to deploy the msi to workstations in AD using a GPO when it needs /i GameMaker-8.1.<version-number>.msi TARGETDIR=<directory to install to> on the command line?

Thank Post
    I have just had to deploy this at my last school. I managed to create an MST that installs GameMaker to "C:\GameMaker" as the MSI just unpacks to the folder it was ran from with no folder structure!

I have hosted the MSi and MST on my SkyDrive if it helps anyone out http://sdrv.ms/YEk0Gb

Unfortunately ive not found a way to package up the License Stamper so this will have to be a manual task until the schools image can be updated.

Hope this helps someone.

Thank Post
    Worried now as the boss wants to use GameMaker on the network for September 2013.
    Wonder is Studio Standard with work...

Thank Post
    Hi All

I apologise for resurrecting this thread, but i wondered if you have, or know someone who does have, an Msi that installs the free version out to a Windows 7 RM Connect 4 network? We used to have WinXP and RM Connect 3 and we managed to make an Msi that worked that (each user has a networked documents folder, but no write access to the local drive).

I am getting a bit desperate.

Trevor

Thank Post
    Just been asked for GameMaker 8.1 Free on the network.
    You are correct that the msi TARGETDIR switch doesn't work. It just unpacks it in the folder the MSI was stored in. I even tried editing in Orca but still the same. YoYo games I told them about it but they said they will look into it, this seems to be a problem with old out of date software they probably cant be bothered to fix.

I also found out that 8.1 needs to be purchased. The free version isn't suitable for school use.

Not sure what to do next.

Thank Post
    we bought game maker with an educational site licence, cost about 2k though, came as a download all in one folder, just dropped it on a hidden shared drive, dew tweaks of the settings in appdata folder and it was up and running. we never got and msi`s or anything.

i never did get the trial versions or free versions working either, but they still bought it.

wasnt the worst install i have ever done, pearson testing steals that accolade

Thank Post
    pearson testing steals that accolade
    haha touche.

Thank Post
    Can anyone explain to me why suddenly this product should be used in a school / education environment to allow students to program games?

Surely if the aim is to teach them programming then they should be using one of the industry standard applications for doing so? (Python, Visual Studio..) Otherwise how will this benefit them in the real world?

How can we sanction the use of a software that we can not get access to (the education version) to install, test, evaluate and decide that this is appropriate for use on the network? We have to purchase a license from them to be able to do any of this.

Why do Gamemaker license their software per workstation installation? This limits us to where we can install the application. Wouldn't a concurrent user license be more appropriate for education?
    Last edited by koryo; 23rd May 2014 at 03:22 PM.

Thank Post
    I used Advanced Installer to create an MSI of Game Maker 8.1 Lite (free whatever you wanna call it) and rolled it out via GPO ...job done easy. Never actually opened it up and used it though.

Thank Post
    So in response to my above post I can confirm Game Maker 8.1 is designed to not work on a network so I have re-installed version 8 which is no longer on their site (obviously) if anyone wants it the link is below;

http://auntiepixelante.com/gamemaker/gmaker80.exe

and I also created an MSI file for it which is here

https://www.sendspace.com/file/6mtnk2

14. Thanks to Griff from:

reprised (30th June 2014)

Thank Post
    we bought the educational version of the software from them, they sent us a network version, and it was a doddle to sert up, dropp the folder structure onto a shared network drive, pointed the shortcuts to it and it works a treat.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12