+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, serif drawplus x3 export errors in Technical; I'm having trouble with certain pupils on certain PCs getting an error whilst trying to export files. It tells me ...

Thank Post

serif drawplus x3 export errors

I'm having trouble with certain pupils on certain PCs getting an error whilst trying to export files. It tells me that the destination may be full or write protected. I've checked the mapped drives and our FSRM but there are no reports of errors. The error in the event log of the client is as follows.

"Faulting application drawplus.exe, version 10.0.3.22, faulting module drawplus.exe, version 10.0.3.22, fault address 0x002188b1."

This has only happened this year as last year serif had no issues. I'm thinking a windows update has caused this. My trouble is that I can't reliably reproduce this error. It doesn't happen with the same pupil on the same machine twice.

I've redeployed the software but it hasn't helped.

My pupils do not have roaming profiles, they all load the default domain profile and then a local copy is made. using my test student on 1 PC it worked fine, then putting a real pupil on the PC caused the fault. after that all users got the fault until the PC was reset. However the fault soon returned.

Anyideas?

Are temporary files created during the export? If so, where?

Thank Post
    I often find that errors with Serif are fixed with a patch. Make sure it's all up to date. We sometimes have strange errors with our cheaper software, like Serif and Matchware. Just a thought, are you using local profiles? If so, maybe the machines HDD is full and there's not enough space for temporary files.

3. Thanks to DAZZD88 from:

chazzy2501 (20th May 2011)

Thank Post
    OK, the version I have is the latest (last)version. But I've got some facts wrong. It seems to be the users, the error is suggesting the machine is out of memory not space. Now some pupils can use the export feature with no issues and some can't regardless of PC. The troubling factor is that all pupils in that class (like their year group) were made at the same time in the same way. I don't have roaming profiles and I do have a default domain profile they should all use during the local profile creation. I've compared a working and non working pupil, their mapped folder and their active directory entries are the same (as expected). I've deleted their local profiles on the workstations (which would delete after 3 days anyway) but still 1 works 1 won't the user areas have lots of storage and FSRM hasn't reported anything.

Ideas?

Thank Post
    You say it happens regardless of pc, do you mean a pc in the same room or a pc anywhere in school? If it's in the same room, then try another room and see if the same happens. If so then maybe you need to check the virtual memory settings on the machine.

If it's happening to one user and not another, what happens if you take the document from the user who is having problems and put it into the other user's work area and then export? If that works then it's a user issue, if no then it's a problem with the document. Last time I had a problem with a document, I sent it off to Serif as a sample and the tech guy emailed back after a day or so and said that it was because the kids were using resources from a network resource in a different folder, rather than copying the resource into the folder the document was stored in.

It's good that you've eliminated the profiles as an issue. We found a few times that Serif software doesn't always agree with profiles and for us, was recursively creating the same subdirectories over and over until the program could no longer find what it was looking for.

Thank Post
    It'll happen on any pc in the school (vista or xpsp3). As we're testing I got 10 pupils to create a new document (simple squiggle) then try to export. 8 errored, 1 was ok and 1 was N/A. I got them to swap PCs and I got the same result. They all get the same GPOs as all the pupils are in the same OU. I've checked the PC error logs (on vista machines this time) no errors recoreded against Drawplus.exe and no GPO prossessing errors before or after login of the pupil. I have noticed a firewall error and a com+ error but I'm sure I've had those for a while and are not relevent.

Other than a users settings in AD, their Shared folder and their profile how else is a user unique on a domain? I noticed that the user that works has the wrong formula applied to his email address but I can't explain that. (username@domain.local instead of firelast@domain.local).

EDIT some weird mention thing just kicked in?
    Last edited by chazzy2501; 20th May 2011 at 01:59 PM.

Thank Post
    I can only suggest that if you've not already done so, contact Serif and see if they have any ideas.

Thank Post
    It seems the fix is simple, purchase a newer version. Done... £1100 for a site licence upgrade is cheap as chips anyway.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread