+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Removing old flash player from Macromedia Studio MX in Technical; I couldn't find a general software forum so thought this would be next best. Is there anyone out there that ...
    Thank Post

Removing old flash player from Macromedia Studio MX

I couldn't find a general software forum so thought this would be next best.

Is there anyone out there that can tell me what i need to remove from the Macromedia Studio MX 2004 msi to stop the the old version of flash player from being installed. This is causing more hassle than it's worth now and want to get rid of it.
    I've opened it up in ORCA but not sure exactly which table i should be looking at and thought that there must be an entry that can be removed from a table to stop the player install from being initialised in the first place!!
    Any advice much appretiated

Thank Post

Re: Removing old flash player from Macromedia Studio MX

Why is it causing problems?

All we did was over install with Flash Player 8, i plan to over install with Falsh Player 9 over the Easter Hols..

Or did i remove the other Flash Player first???????????? Will look at my scripts tomorrow.......been a long day.

Thank Post

If a later version of flash is installed as part of the allocation order first then Macromedia Studio MX will fail to install due to an older version of Flash Player which is wrapped up with this msi trying to install over a newer version.
    A dependency can be setup to install Macromedia Studio first so the newer Flash player can just install over the top but if this package hasn't been allocated to a station, the flash package will fail with a dependency error so you can see why i now just want to remove this feature.

Thank Post

This was fixed by editing the msi a little to get rid of flash player install instances.

Thank Post
    Explanation of how i did this as follows:

Flash Player install needs to be removed from the msi using the following instructions:

1) Backup the package (goes without saying really)
    2) Open the MSI using Wininstall LE or your msi editing application of choice
    3) Click on Files - This will load the file list (It will take some time, there are over 10,000 of them! You may be given error messages while the list is populated, I just clicked on OK (many times!))
    4) Sort by Filename
    5) Delete all traces of Flash.ocx (there were 3)
    6) Click on Registry
    6) Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID
    7) Delete {1171A625-05D2-11D1-83FC-00A0C9089C5A}
    8) Delete {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}
    9) Delete {D27CDB70-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}
    10) Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Typelib
    11) Delete {57A0E746-3863-4D20-A811-950C84F1DB9B}
    12) Delete {D27CDB6B-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}
    13) Save and Close (sometime to get WinstallLE to acknowledge the changes made to the registry settings you have to select a different subcategory such as Files before you save)

Using Wininstall LE you will need to save after each individual regkey delete otherwise these just re-appear.

HTH

6. 2 Thanks to randle:

dhicks (5th August 2009), sandeep2504 (3rd August 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,626 Times in 1,936 Posts
    Out of interest, was this for the Macromedia Studio MX 2004 package created by RM for CC3? If so, this is what I did to remove the old version of Flash Player (using the excellent InstEd).

1) Open Macromedia Studio MX 2004 1.0.msi in InstEd.
    2) Select New Transform from the Transform menu. Save the .mst in the same folder as the .msi. I gave it the same filename as the .msi.
    3) Go to the Components tab, find the components listed below, right-click on each one, select Delete and click OK.

Code:
    Flash.ocx
    Flash.ocx23
    Flash.ocx9
    NPSWF32.dll26
    inf
    INF
    WindowsFolder
    N.B. This last component contains a file called setupapi.log which doesn't have anything to do with Flash Player and shouldn't be in the package anyway.

4) Save the .mst (which you can do by right-clicking on the filename of the .mst shown above the tabs on the left).
    5) If you're using CC3, modify the package.ini so that it applies the transform when the .msi is installed i.e. add the line shown below.

Code:
    WITransform=Macromedia Studio MX 2004 1.0.mst
    The Flash Player contained with this package caused us no end of trouble since it sets Deny permissions on several registry keys within HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes (like the ones shown above).

Randle. It looks like you may have missed out some files related to Flash Player like NPSWF32.dll located in the %ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\Plugins folder.
    Last edited by Arthur; 5th August 2009 at 06:37 AM.

8. 3 Thanks to Arthur:

dhicks (5th August 2009), howartp (13th August 2009), randle (13th August 2009)

Thank Post
    Cheers Arthur. After removing the bits i mentioned i think i broke it enough to let the latest flash player install without issues as has been working for a couple of years now

Thanks for the further instructions though as will do this at some point to make it a tidier install

10. Thanks to randle from:

howartp (13th August 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread