+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Live@Edu intial setup help in Technical; Hi I am after a little advie on the intial setup of the live@edu email. We currently have exchange 2010 ...

Thank Post

Live@Edu intial setup help

Hi

I am after a little advie on the intial setup of the live@edu email.

We currently have exchange 2010 hosted internally, but we only provide staff mailboxes, students dont have email since the zimbra server crashed. Having read the uk guide from MS we can run our exchange server internally no problem, but host the student mailboxes on live@edu using our internal exchnage as a sort of pass through.

Has anyone implemented such a setup? I am also a little stuck on the DNS setup, as we host our own internal dns obviously but externally the embc host DNS. The whole MX records and which one to setup on is confusing me a little.

Any help would be greatfully recieved.

Mark

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    you would need to create a subdomain for your students email, and it wouldnt have anything to do with your internal exchange. We have the exact same setup.

So what I would do is create a new A record in DNS for, say students.mydomain.com if your main domian is mydomain.com

Then sign up for live@edu with this domain. They will provide you with the contents of what to put in a CNAME dns recors, which is used to prove you own it. OInce that is done, you can add the MX records, which they provide as well.

Once this is done, you need to consider how you are going to create and manage the students mailboxes. I would recommend ILM if you can afford the ~200 quid it costs. Although with the new office365 on the way, I believe it uses ADFS so you might be wasting money there, not sure..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mleewill View Post
    Having read the uk guide from MS we can run our exchange server internally no problem, but host the student mailboxes on live@edu using our internal exchnage as a sort of pass through.
    I think what you're talking about is the shared address space with on-premise relay option - something that is documented and supported; more info:

Configure a Shared Address Space with On-Premises Relay

You will need to register Live@edu on its own domain - typically "live.myschool.sch.uk" or "service.myschool.sch.uk" or something appropriate. You'll need to prove ownership and set MX records accordingly to ensure mailflow into, and out of this domain 'as normal'.

Following the steps outlined in the documentation above should help you with the rest.

Equally, as RabbieBurns says, you could just register a whole new subdomain - "student.myschool.sch.uk" and give them new addresses. It all depends on your requirements!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread