Poll: What do you think of MS EES

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, EES what do you think in Technical; We have just bought into the EES licensing for os and office in a primary school. and i thought I ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

EES what do you think

We have just bought into the EES licensing for os and office in a primary school. and i thought I would never say this but wow Want a good system we have 15 fte staff but we have 100 pcs and it works out a dream as we are not paying for per pc but per fte I have also spoke to a secondry school and they are saving a load of money. good work MS i feel like they care now what do you tink of the new EES. On this same sort of thing has anyone used http://www.softwareforstudents.co.uk a couple of parents have asked me I have never used it so cant comment but if anyone here has I will pass on comments.
    Last edited by alonebfg; 16th March 2011 at 06:13 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,747 Posts
    Software4students and RM's the Basement are great. I've used the former to buy software for my kids

EES is brilliant for schools with large amounts of kit, but for small schools it's rubbish... as was explained to M$ in the primary breakout at the Reading conference.

Have you calculated your FTE correctly? All staff who have logins must be counted, not just teachers. IIRC, 'Full time' means someone who works more than 200 hours per year (about 6 hours per week term time).

My school has 101 children aged 5-11, 58 in the pre-school, 39 PCs and servers and a large number of part-time staff to cover subject specialiams and the pre-school mostly. I haven't worked it out exactly recently, but excluding the dinner ladies and cleaners (who don't have logins) , we have nearly 50 staff and they're all full time according to microsoft.
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 16th March 2011 at 07:44 AM.

Thank Post
    Full time' means someone who works more than 200 hours per year (about 6 hours per week term time).
    That seems a bit tight - do you mean 16hours/week?

Cause if its true, then I imagine a lot of primary schools who would "make a genuine mistake m'lord" and say add up all the hours of staff that don't work "all-week" and when that gets to 37hours, add on another "full-time-equivalent" staff member to the equation.

In the face of things rules that don't make a lot of sense, people (who would consider themselves as honest,upstanding people) tend to bend/ignore them (playing dvds in wet play,copying cd's for school play, not buying a site licence for edusoft cause they have 17 computers in the suite but the company only sells 1,5,15 and site licence for mega bucks etc etc.

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Re softwareforstudents - its my number one recommendation for people to get Win7 upgrades or a single copy of MS Office. You can have the media sent to you or just download it straight away

Si

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,747 Posts
    Angrytechnician had done the sums and microsoft admitted he was right. It is rubbish for primary schools.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    It is rubbish for primary schools.
    It always is, practicaly none of the software stuff is geared to primaries and in many cases they don't even qualify for the education programs providing student copies of software. You just seem to have to fight through the neglect and do the best you can.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    IIRC, 'Full time' means someone who works more than 200 hours per year (about 6 hours per week term time).
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    That seems a bit tight - do you mean 16hours/week?
    Assuming a (somewhat short) 30 week year for term-time only staff, 200 hrs / 30 weeks = 6.6 hours per week. For staff working all year (say about 45-46 weeks), it's less than 4.5 hours per week.

According to Microsoft's own Education and Channel Licensing Manager, the figure was come up with by looking at large institutions such as the Open University who have a lot of 'full time' lecturers who only actually teach a few hours per week. At the Microsoft conference in February I was deliberately blunt in pointing out that I would never class someone working 6 hours a week as equivalent to 'full time', but that's the way it is.

elsiegee and I did also bring it up in the primary schools breakout as the sort of thing that gives primary schools the impression Microsoft doesn't really think about us when they come up with these sorts of schemes, and we did get an understanding look in exchange!
    Last edited by AngryTechnician; 16th March 2011 at 10:36 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    For me here EES Licensing is actually more expensive than the old Schools Agreement pricing. The problem is that we have 85 eligable staff and only 135 PC's (We are a special school and our staff-pupil ration is high). At the moment it even seems that we are going to be paying more!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ben View Post
    For me here EES Licensing is actually more expensive than the old Schools Agreement pricing. The problem is that we have 85 eligable staff and only 135 PC's (We are a special school and our staff-pupil ration is high). At the moment it even seems that we are going to be paying more!
    You know you can just stay on Schools Agreement, right? Or have you been talking to a reseller who thinks that Schools Agreement has been retired? (I had to correct one just 2 weeks ago).
    Last edited by AngryTechnician; 16th March 2011 at 10:42 AM.

Thank Post
    I thought you didn't have to count FT staff that didn't use a computer, for example a school may have 2 dinner sessions (one for upper, one for lower) making dinner last 2 hours say. That means dinner nanny's are working at least 10 hours per week, over the 200 per year, but because they don't use a computer they don't need to be counted. Am I right with this?

If so, what happens with the cashiers? They use a computer for our biometric dinner systems, so I imagine we'd have to count these if they are over the 200 hours per year.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,579 Times in 1,795 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    elsiegee and I did also bring it up in the primary schools breakout as the sort of thing that gives primary schools the impression Microsoft doesn't really think about us when they come up with these sorts of schemes, and we did get an understanding look in exchange!
    ...and me!! I was there too!!
    In fact EES actually works for us in my Junior school - we have 80 computers but only 39 staff who qualify.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,611 Times in 2,019 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    I thought you didn't have to count FT staff that didn't use a computer, for example a school may have 2 dinner sessions (one for upper, one for lower) making dinner last 2 hours say. That means dinner nanny's are working at least 10 hours per week, over the 200 per year, but because they don't use a computer they don't need to be counted. Am I right with this?

If so, what happens with the cashiers? They use a computer for our biometric dinner systems, so I imagine we'd have to count these if they are over the 200 hours per year.
    If they use your network, they need including, if they don't, they don't need including.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ben View Post
    Based on the average SA cost of £26 per computer and £33 per FTE, that would equal 135x£26=£3510 for SA and 85x£33=£2805 for the OVS-ES on standard desktop pack, so a saving of a few hundred unless I am overlooking something?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    If they use your network, they need including, if they don't, they don't need including.
    Use our network as in computers that I class as being 'ours'? Or use our network as in physically connected to our network.

The biometric machines we own, and they use our infrastructure to talk to their servers. However, they are not on our domain, and nor would I consider them to be supported by our team.

Thank Post
    Software4students and RM's the Basement are great. I've used the former to buy software for my kids

EES is brilliant for schools with large amounts of kit, but for small schools it's rubbish... as was explained to M$ in the primary breakout at the Reading conference.

Have you calculated your FTE correctly? All staff who have logins must be counted, not just teachers. IIRC, 'Full time' means someone who works more than 200 hours per year (about 6 hours per week term time).

My school has 101 children aged 5-11, 58 in the pre-school, 39 PCs and servers and a large number of part-time staff to cover subject specialiams and the pre-school mostly. I haven't worked it out exactly recently, but excluding the dinner ladies and cleaners (who don't have logins) , we have nearly 50 staff and they're all full time according to microsoft.
    Can't you just use Schools Agreement instead, which is done on a desktop count rather than FTE equivalent staff count and is cheaper per unit? Schools Agreement will be continuing and running alongside EES for schools like yours where EES isn't economical.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast